Home Forums General Discussion Forum My first practice piece!–updates

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 121 total)
  • Author
    peggy332014
    Participant

Hi everyone!

This is my next to the last update!

The Lord gave me an awesome idea on how to put my clock on a movement stand to run a test! I happen to have a 4″ X 6″ x 10″ long wood block that I’ve used for stepping on from my bed. And it was perfect and heavy enough to mount my movement too, and have it sitting on my table.

At first I was having to get it leveled some with corn dog sticks cause my table kind of bows in the middle. I kept working with the sticks under the block (the block was not square on the bottom side 🙄 ). The clock pendulum kept stopping after the escape wheel turned a few times. I knew that it needed to be more level, so I kept working with the block and my sticks.

It was running better, and then would stop about every 5 minutes. I got to thinking that maybe the escape wheel togs may have been slightly bent on the tips, so I gently ran my flat nosed pliers on each tog. Wa la! It started keeping time, not stopping for over the hour and half that I had it on the bench. The chimes operated right on time on the hour and half hour. The clock is keeping correct time! I did work with the crutch and bent it slightly and the pendulum regulator needed touched and adjusted, and now it runs like clockwork!!!! YAY!!!!! :D :D :D

Bob Tascione

Looking good Peggy!
        Now for the testing and then casing. The hard part’s all done!
        One thing just in case you haven’t thought about it. If you leave those wires wrapped tightly around the mainsprings the movement may soon stop. The springs need to be able to expand to release their energy. :D

Bob

peggy332014
        Participant

Okay! Thanks Bob! :D It will only be a few days, and I’ll put it in the case on Saturday when Mike can help me. He has jury duty tomorrow, all day. 🙄 🙄

arutha
          Participant

Dont do my favourite trick of forgetting to wind the springs up BEFORE you remove the wire! If you dont wind them up first any power the wire is holding gets suddenly thrown out, like a minor case of spring breakage, and can bend teeth.
            You have done a great job on this clock Peggy and the write up, I am sure it will help other people a lot :)
            Paul.

peggy332014
            Participant

Thank you Paul ! I will remember to do that for sure! :D

willofiam

Well done Peggy, ingenuity goes a long way, nothing fancy, just functional. William

peggy332014
                Participant

Hi Will!

Thank you! When limited in space and tools, got to make something work with what I got! LOL!

mahlon
                  Participant

Peggy, great job. with your attitude, I believe you can do what ever you set your mind to. My first movement didn’t goes so well. I took all the pics that I thought I would need. When it came time to put it back together, I found that I had not put the card back in the camera 🙄 That is when I started buying movements that were identical to the one I wanted to rebuild :) Keep up the good work. Mahlon

peggy332014
                    Participant

Oh man! I know how you feel, Brother! Thank you for your compliment and encouragement!

I was wondering if I was going to get the clock back together myself. I took pics, made notes, but when I took it apart, the gears fell out and I couldn’t remember what I had looked at before I took it apart despite all the pics! I couldn’t remember which gear was what! It helped that (I think it was) you sent me a gear pic of it. That really helped! Surprisingly, it worked the first time try!

Reminds me of an experience I had years ago. I was a cashier at a truck stop in Arizona. They so happen to have a NASCAR car of Davey Allison #88 in the parking lot. It was there as part of a Havolin Oil promotion we had going. Davey Allison’s sponsor was Havolin Oil.

I went out there to the car and took a bunch of pictures of the car with my camera. But when I got home, and was all excited about the pictures I took, I went to get the roll of film out… and there was no film in the camera!!!! 😳 😳 🙄

peggy332014
                      Participant

Just a quick update:

I have sanded the clock case, but I’m at a stand-still. I thought we had some wood stain, but I’m going to have to get some, so I’ve not got the clock put together until I can finish the case.

Also, our transmission in our Van developed a bad leak, and Mike is going to have to either rebuild it again, or get a exchange somehow. We do have one we’ve found on Ebay, but we have a friend who does transmissions, and he’s helping us locate one locally. Which means we’re having to save a bunch of money, so my clock and watch tools shopping has been put on hold. I am continuing with viewing the video’s and staying in the ‘know’ while I wait. :D

Will keep y’all updated.

peggy332014
                        Participant

Today, I finished the clock case.

I used a cherry stain, and it turned out nice!

Once the stain cures, I can re-assemble the clock components back into it, and do it’s final ‘test run’! :D

peggy332014
                          Participant

Today, I finished the clock case.

I used a cherry stain, and it turned out nice!

[attachment=0:3kwsaag5]Rosita’s clock case before and after 4 23 14.jpg[/attachment:3kwsaag5]

Once the stain cures, I can re-assemble the clock components back into it, and do it’s final ‘test run’! :D

bernie weishapl
                            Participant

Looking good Peggy. Nicely done.

peggy332014
                              Participant

:D :D

arutha
                                Participant

Lovely job Peggy :)

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 121 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.