Home Forums General Discussion Forum My first practice piece!–updates

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 121 total)
  • Author
    peggy332014
    Participant

Thank you, Paul! :D :D

mahlon
      Participant

Good job Peggy. It’s a wonderful feeling to restore a clock top to bottom. It’s a lot like playing golf, you go through all of the frustration, threaten to quit every time a shot ends in the water, only to make that one good shot that brings you back to the game over and over again. The hard part now is the waiting for the next opportunity to do it all over again. :D Mahlon

jdp020351
        Participant

Great work Peggy

peggy332014
          Participant

That’s a good analogy Bro Mahlon! Thank You!

Thank you for your encouragement jdp!

Today, I’ll be putting the movement back in, and let it run for awhile. After a day or two, I’ll put the face on it, release the wire off the springs, and send it home!

peggy332014
            Participant

Well, gentlemen!

This is my last and final update on this thread!

Here is the clock finished, keeping time. I will deliver the clock to it’s owner this weekend!

bernie weishapl
              Participant

Well done Peggy.

bobpat
                Participant

nice job

peggy332014
                  Participant

Thank you!

I do have a situation, the clock ran good for 4 hours right on, and then stopped. The clock is wound. I’m thinking where I have it sitting is not quite level, so I’ll be trying to see if that’s the problem and put something under the one side to prop it up a little.

peggy332014
                    Participant

This is my final closing update! :D :D

I repositioned the clock for level and it has passed all of it’s tests, and has ran through the night and is still going! YAY !!!

Last night I did touch oil to the pivots since the movement had been sitting while the clock case was being refinished, and it is doing very well now! Thank you guys for all of your encouragement and support! :D :D :mrgreen:

peggy332014
                      Participant

I just absolutely have to share this pic!

This is the clock back in the owner’s home, hanging on her wall! She’s posted it on Facebook showing everybody! :D

maitai11
                        Participant

Dear Peggy,

We’ve never met, but I wanted to introduce myself, as I saw you posted in a more recent forum question.

I’m Tim, and have been around for about four months. I also have my good brother, Joseph (Joe), who goes by the name of Tukat on this forum. Joe does clocks and tiny wristwatches, and I do American (and, just bought my first Breguette) pocket watches – for now. I’ll branch out, as I’m sure brother Joe will, too, especially when I move home in five years or so after I retire. I’ve been in Hawaii 25 years, and will be moving back to the Boston area once it’s all said and done for the fire service part of my career – and then, more than likely will be continuing, but more business-like, as a watchmaker.

You did a fabulous job on this clock. I almost bought one on eBay the other day, but it wasn’t meant to be – I was outbid at the last minute.

Nice to meet you, Peggy.

Best,

Tim :)

peggy332014
                          Participant

Hi Tim @mailail1 So nice to meet you! Welcome to our happy forum group!

Thank you so much for your encouraging compliment! That boosts my “happy–learning” self! :D I’m absolutely enjoying my experience as a “fledgling” watchmaker! My hubby is a Gun Smith, and together we’ve done a lot of planning for opening a home business that we corporate many intenties with doing lathe work for parts for guns, and lathe work on the clocks.. and then my stained glass into clock cabinets and he will be doing woodworking so we can also build clocks. We are so excited and can hardly wait! In the meantime…we need practice, practice, practice! He is retired but we’ve only just begun!

Right now, I’m looking to buy a large collection of watches that a friend has collected over time! The last ones I got from her, there was a ladies Gruen watch that dates back to 1938! So this next set she has, I’m certain will have some awesome vintage watches among the quartz watches. I don’t mind working on quartz watches.. they can basically be cleaned and stick in a new battery. I’ve taken them apart and it’s fun to figure them out! So, anyway.. lots of things to look forward to!

Please keep in touch! These guys are a bunch of “characters” for sure! 🙄 I remember when I first started here in March of 2014, the guys was wondering if there were any ladies in the forum and then I showed up! They said “Okay guys, we have to behave… we have a lady present”!! 😆 They’ve been more than helpful, and I’ve had a couple of guys send me tools, books and a cuckoo clock! I’ve been blessed! So, it’s been fun!

Blessings to you and I pray you have great and multiplied success in all that you do!

Peg

maitai11
                            Participant

Thanks Peg ;)

Those are some lofty, lofty, and lovely plans you and the hubby have!

Would love to sit alongside him for a few hours’ worth of gunsmithing exposure! I’ve often thought how interesting it must be to be in that line of work, and I imagine it’s just as complex, convoluted, interesting, varied, and ADDICTING as watchmaking/clockmaking are!!!

Pleasure meeting you, and yes, it’s great to have a real lady around. Up until meeting you, there have been a few times some of the guys (including, and primarily myself) who’ve “acted like little girls” who can’t get their toys to work properly – acting like little boys probably wouldn’t work since little boys would most likely just kick the bench over, ahahaha. But it’s great to have you around. A real inspiration and just WAIT until you meet another woman here on the board, if you haven’t already. What a force to be reckoned with!!!

I love the forum – the people here are so great to be around, are so giving, so helpful, so nice. Very much unlike the only clockmaker in my town who scowls when you ask even the most basic questions about how clocks work. Not here. Watch out, buddy, I’m coming to get YOU, and by the way – you won’t EVER be working on my grandfather clock (Waterbury, 8’4″ tall, ca. 1880’s) again!!! I’ve got THE FORUM; my BROTHER; and all the GREAT PEOPLE WHO WILL HELP ME when the time comes to rebuild, rebush, and refurbish that beauty. Until then, I’ll just have to get a bunch to work on, but for now, pocket watches have my undivided attention!

Chat soon, Peggy, take care, and thanks again for the nice words of encouragement, and wishes of stellar success.

Best,

Tim :)

peggy332014
                              Participant

Hi Tim!

Actually the gun-smithing is far more basic than watches! 😆 It’s the varied types of guns that can seem complex as far as the firing..but both the guns and watches require patience…especially those little “no-see-um” parts that go flying! 😆 😆

Our goals may seem lofty–but attainable because they are God-ordained as gifts and talents! We are in our late 50’s and early 60’s but we feel like life has only yet begun! In the midst of our plans, we’re throwing in a few acres of gardening so that we can be first-responders to those who are faced with weather disasters and lack. All these aspects from guns, jewelry, woodworking, metalworking to glass all come together in an interesting combination to be a blessing to our community. If we can only do one of any of them–will be enough to be an “outreach” to those in need!

Thought I might show you a pic I had put together some time ago of our Great Abundance Enterprises–

You’ll be surprised as far as the watch lady on here…I’ve not met her—but I can be a “handful” as well! :D

Talk later!

<span style=”color: #FF0000″><span style=”font-size:150%”>I can do all things through Christ, all I set my hands to “shall prosper”!</span></span>

peggy332014
                                Participant

Here’s the collection of watches I’m looking to buy. A friend is holding them for me! She said they’re asking $150. I think it’s worth it considering all the Speidel bands in it.

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 121 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.