Home Forums General Discussion Forum My first practice piece!–updates

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 121 total)
  • Author
    willofiam

Peggy, I am lucky to be able to type my name on the computer without something going wrong, see if this will work for you, William

peggy332014
      Participant

Okay William,

That looks great! thanks! You did good!

chris mabbott
        Participant

Looking good Peggy, nice to see you diving in with an example like this, a baptism of fire. All the rest will be a piece of cake :D

peggy332014
          Participant

THANKS! Chris! I like your comment! I’ll take it! :D

bernie weishapl
            Participant

Peggy filing the hole will definitely make it to big. There are only two ways IMHO that you can accurately do pivots and keep them accurate. You will need to file the hole in the opposite way the power is pulling the wheel the same amount as the wear. Be careful and don’t file to much. Then either slowly broach the hole till you can tap a bushing in or use a bushing tool. By filing the exact amount the opposite of the wear the bushing cutter or broach will center in the hole. You don’t want to mess with the mesh of the wheel and pinion. If you get off one way or the other the wheel and pinion could mesh to deep and stop the clock from striking or running. Then you have no choice but to install a blank bushing and use a depthing tool such as this. http://www.milehiclocksupplies.com/cdt.htm I have a webster and just had to use it last month on a clock that came in with the bushings off and it would run a few minutes and stop. Like William I used to hand bush all the time but in my old age have gotten lazy. It takes a precise and steady hand. Have fun.

peggy332014
              Participant

Thanks Brother Mahlon! I’ll keep the advice handy! I have no right way at the moment to do any bushing work.

I did take a lot closer look, and the pivot holes do look okay. I will smooth the pinions more and clean them up better, the posts themselves in the movement frame needs some work as well. it was fairly rusty. They had stored this thing in the rain! sheeeesh! 🙄

peggy332014
                Participant

Well, this is just a preliminary fitting, just to see if I’ve got the right combination for the gearing. I did not add the wire clicks for the striker, pendulum and alarm because I was wanting to find out if I’m on the right track.

For the next few days, until payday, I won’t be doing much with the clock. I will work the mainsprings next by unwinding, cleaning, checking, and oiling. I will go through everything…the pivots, the bushings and etc to make sure how they all are fitting, and if I need to do any bushing work on them… and so on and so on….. 😆

peggy332014
                  Participant

Hi guys!

Here’s my next update! Today, I took the time to figure the combination of the gearing!
                    Got it right! The pivot holes look pretty good, so no need to think about any new bushings. I will go through each pivot now and hone and polish off the rust and rough spots. Mike let me use his gun honing stones.

I also was in the process of taking the time mainspring off the arbor gear, and the wire slipped off, and the spring opened. It didn’t jump or surprise me, I had a good hold on it so it was easy to allow it to finish expanding. The spring will need some cleaning and buffing because it does have rust spots on it. I’ll clean it good, lubricate it and put it back on. It looks in good condition otherwise. I had wondered if it had ‘set’ but it didn’t. So I believe this clock will tick again!

And finally, I thought I’d have Mike take a pic of me at work at my bench (bed table)! 😆 🙄 :D

arutha
                    Participant

Hi Peggy,
                      if you remove any material from the pivots you are going to reduce the diameter and make them even looser in their holes. There is no way to polish pivots other than in a lathe with a burnisher or on a block of wood with the arbor in a pin vice and a burnisher. Going at them with a stone will more than likely take them out of round i.e. you will end up with flat spots on them. At this stage rather than take the chance of damaging the pivots I would just clean them best you can without any abrasive and just put them back. You can always give them a good polish next time you service the clock or when you get the proper tools. I know you are eager to get this clock working, I just dont want you disappointed after all your hard work. please don’t take this as me being over critical, I just want to see you succeed with your first clock.
                      Paul.

peggy332014
                      Participant

Hi Paul!

Thank you for your encouragement! I just want to just clean them up a little bit. The stone I’m using is a super fine stone that really isn’t doing much to them anyway. I am aware of trying not doing too much filing because of the reason you said about reducing the size of the metal. It hasn’t shown hardly any thing with my weak hand efforts anyway. ;) Actually I’ve only done the pivot on the verge pin, and it showed no change to it anyway. Actually the rust they show has built up on the pivot pins, and just a little cleaning will let them sit in the holes better. Many of the pivot pins are black due to the age and lack of care over the years.

I take your advice to heart, and my hubby pretty much is telling me the same thing you are, so I’m being very cautious of not overdoing. Please continue to advise as you have been. It helps me to think ahead, and do it right!

You’re my buddy! :D

peggy332014
                        Participant

I think what I’ll do is work on those mainsprings, get them cleaned up, and with a fine grit paper.. clean off the rust, then lubricate them and put them back on the arbor, and rewind them, then just do a little cleaning on the pivots and put the clock back together.

Is it okay to put a spot of oil on each of the pivot holes so they don’t spin dry? And yes, to spot oil some of the gear bearings where they turn, right?

I just watched Bobs video on oiling, so I believe I’ll be doing just fine! Not to get too much or oiling the teeth… got it!

ewinrow
                          Participant

Hey Peg, if I may. Looking good, I do understand not having the right tools, what a pain. Be advised, I brought a cheap mainspring winding tool and it works like the price. HAZARDIOUS ❗ 👿 I am now saving my pennies to purchase a better one. Bob shows two in his video. The round cast iron one 😡 , will hurt you. The bench one is the one I am now saving for, looks better, sturdier and safer. Also, how do you like the Awesome cleaning solvent? Hope it worked out well for you. 8-) Keep-us informed on your progress, Ed. :)

peggy332014
                            Participant

Hi ewinrow!

The “Awesome” works pretty good. I found the heavier mix does better, at least it did on this dirty clock. :D

The tool Mike made me for the let down tool worked pretty good! The handle is actually flat-sided, and so the gripping worked good, especially to let it spin slightly as I let it out. and since the key fit the arbor square, it did really good without any slipping. It will do good enough until I get the good one. Ebay has one with about 6 wrenches for about $60.

I’m trying to sell a Dale Earnhardt Pit Crew figuring set ,so I can get some tool money! It’s on eBay ! If you know anyone who is a NASCAR collector let them know! I can give you the page link if you want. I go by graben in there. 😆 ;) 💡 :D

bernie weishapl
                              Participant

Peggy depending on what sandpaper you use I found out I don’t like it. It can leave grooves in the spring which can impeded them when they unwind. Now that is just my opinion. For the last 20 yrs or more I started with 00 steel wool, then down to 000, then finish with 0000. It may have just been me but I did use sandpaper on a couple many years ago and it did not come out well. I generally use the zep citrus cleaner or simple green with the steel wool and it cleans well. The I run it thru the ultrasonic.

Ed I have used several mainspring winders over the years and found this one about the safest there is. http://timesavers.com/i-8944167-ollie-baker-style-spring-winder.html The webster is slightly cheaper but IMHO a little flimsy. I bought the first Olie Baker about 21 or 22 yrs ago and still going good.

peggy332014
                                Participant

Hi Bernie!

Mike had given me a piece he had that is about a 400 grit.. very fine and not much grit to it to do anything but to make a buffed shine. It doesn’t really do much to the metal anyway, just polishes a little. It’s old paper and basically tears apart when I use it. :D

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 121 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.