Home Forums General Discussion Forum My first practice piece!–updates

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 121 total)
  • Author
    willofiam

Peggy you do not have to worry about the position of that when assembling. At least I dont. William
      P.S. One of my first books was “striking clock repair guide” by Steven Conover. I think someone had mentioned his books, very well done and covers alot of different striking mechanisms, looks like they are about $30.00 but well worth it. William

peggy332014
      Participant

Okay! Thank You William! Yes, I do want to get some of his books! Have them in my shopping list!

bernie weishapl
        Participant

I will get a hold of Bob William. I am going to call Ed on Monday so I may give you a buzz then on Monday to. I will e-mail Bob for your e-mail and then I can get your number. I am amazed at how much my vision went down in the last few years but will save that for a e-mail to you so I don’t steal Peggy’s great post. I will e-mail Bob now.

peggy332014
          Participant

:D :D 😆 😆

Bob Tascione

I will get a hold of Bob William. I am going to call Ed on Monday so I may give you a buzz then on Monday to. I will e-mail Bob for your e-mail and then I can get your number. I am amazed at how much my vision went down in the last few years but will save that for a e-mail to you so I don’t steal Peggy’s great post. I will e-mail Bob now.

All done,
              Williams contact info. should be in your in box Bernie.
              Enjoy!
              Bob

bernie weishapl
              Participant

Thanks Bob.

peggy332014
                Participant

Hi guys!

I decided to check out my clock movement this afternoon, and checked the up and down movement of the gears. Everything is free.. What I may have discovered is the little wire on the j hook that secures it to the frame.. got caught in the pivot. so I’ll get my pic tool or something and see if I can safely pull that out. that would explain the j hook not allowing the train to release right.

When I release the count hook it runs fine. I watched the governor spin, and it runs true, it doesn’t indicate any bend as it spins. It’s when I use the minute arbor that the governor is sluggish. The wire caught in the pivot of the j hook is not allowing the j hook to want to release right. otherwise it runs good.

bernie weishapl
                  Participant

Good for you Peggy. I always go back and double check anything I may have did. Most times it is me that has induced the problem. Lets us know how it is working after you get it fixed.

peggy332014
                    Participant

Hi guys! :D

Here’s my next update!

The J hook attaching wire that was stuck in the pivot was the culprit! I rerouted the wire and brought it back up from underneath in another angle, and the governor engages on schedule! YAY!!

I don’t have a way at the moment to set the movement on a stand until Mike makes me one that will work for me. I did support the movement on the edge of my table.. holding it as level as I could, and with the pendulum on it, it was ticking along fine. I moved the hands to the warn position and let the time start the striking, and it’s doing what it needs to do!

So, I have a clock that runs! Once I get it up in a holder, I can then test the pendulum to see if it stays running.

I’ve got the clock laying in my tray with the short pendulum arm and the striker gong, and with my hand swinging the pendulum, it is doing very well.

bernie weishapl
                      Participant

Looking good Peggy. Good for you.

peggy332014
                        Participant

Thank You, Bernie! :D :P :P

mahlon
                          Participant

looking good Peggy. You can make a stand by nailing or screwing a board at a right angle to an other and clamp it to the edge of the table. Then use the moment mounting screws to mount it to the stand. That way you can test the clock, with the pendulum. I would not remove the spring retainers until it has run for a day. Mahlon

peggy332014
                            Participant

Thanks for the suggestion, Brother! :D :D

Mike has an idea how to make me a nice adjustable one, that will work for the other sizes as well. He says he’s got some aluminum pieces he can work with, and it will be light and still have the counterweight needed for balance. He also has to think of my ability to lift my arms up, since I’m a little weak in the arm muscles. :D

Bob Tascione

Great job trouble shooting that problem Peggy and
                                a huge CONGRATULATIONS to you!
                                This has been a good thread. Thanks again for keeping us posted. Please let us know how the next step goes
                                and as always…keep having fun!

Bob

peggy332014
                                Participant

THANK YOU, SIR! :D :D

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 121 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.