Home Forums General Discussion Forum My first practice piece!–updates

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 121 total)
  • Author
    mahlon
    Participant

Hi Peggy, If the paper does scratch, just rub it on a piece of steel or concrete to dull it up a little. I have used sandpaper (600-1200 grit), but like Bernie, I us steel wool. The only difference is I use mineral spirits as a lubricant. Them clean them again. If you get a set of let down keys, you mike can make you a winder using a ratchet and a 7/16 deep socket. If you do a yahoo search for clock mainspring winder videos, you will get some easy to make ideas. ;) :D Mahlon

peggy332014
      Participant

Okie dokie! Brother Mahlon! Mike will be making me one. He does have a smithy lathe and can make something! :D

Oh, one thing I forgot to mention, I’ve been using the scotch brite pads. they work pretty good, too! They don’t scratch and they do a nice job!

mahlon
        Participant

I am going to have a friend of mine alter my hand held winder. He did his 20 years ago and it works great. When he does I will post a pic. It is a lot safe than they are before they are altered. The problem with them now is they just don’t hold well. Mahlon

peggy332014
          Participant

Sounds great! Look forward to that! ;) :D

arutha
            Participant

Peggy,
              scotchbrite is perfect for cleaning mainsprings, I should know, its what I use :)
              Paul.

peggy332014
              Participant

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D 😆 😆

peggy332014
                Participant

Howdy all! 🙄 :D

Here’s my next update. I spent awhile practicing to see how the striking mechanisms go back in. Bob had a video on a similar Seth Thomas, so it helped to understand how to put it back into proper strike time. But I was not finished checking all the pivots.. I just wanted to make sure I was understanding, and got it to work! :D :D

I then tackled the mainsprings. The time mainspring was the one not working, but after cleaning both the time and strike, I was surprised to find that the ‘working’ strike spring—was actually worse on the rust ❗ But, I got them both cleaned, oiled and remounted.

I won’t tell ya how I got the mainsprings wound! It would freak y’all out! 😮 😯 :? 🙄 😆 I call it ‘improvising” ❗
                  But it was done safely. I had one wire come off and unwound one spring and I had to rewind it again.. uggg! But I was determined to win!!! 😆

Now I’m about ready to assemble the movement with the final fitting of the mechanism, then oil and check the running. Then remount in the clock and make sure it keeps time for a few day!

Later! :D

bernie weishapl
                  Participant

Looking good Peggy.

Bob Tascione

Almost there Peggy!
                      You’ve done such a good job documenting this project for everyone with pics and progress reports. It’s been an extremely active thread…lot’s of interest in it by many members.
                      Thanks for going through all the trouble for all your effort. It’s truly appreciated.
                      Now for the fun part; the assembly, strike set up and final adjustments.
                      Gonna be a nice clock!
                      Bob

peggy332014
                      Participant

Thank you Bernie and Bob!

Yup, Bob, I’m gonna be watching your video very closely! I have one question, on the base of the movement where the mainsprings sit, there’s about 3 studs sticking up. What are they for? I don’t recall anything attached to them. They don’t appear to have anything to do with the strike mechanism. I’ll try and get a close-up pick for ya tomorrow.

Bob Tascione

Hi Peggy,
                          I think you may be referring to the mainspring stop pins (I can’t remember…What the heck is the official name for these pins? Anyone?). As open mainsprings unwind they can expand into the movement and interfere with wheels, wheel arbors,levers etc. These pins direct a springs expansion toward the outside of the movement preventing contact with critical parts. They also protect a movement from possible damage from sudden spring breakage.
                          When you place the springs back into the movement be sure that none of the coils are sitting on the wrong side of these pins.
                          Hope this helps Peggy,
                          Bob

peggy332014
                          Participant

Thank you, Sir! Makes sense to me! I kind of figured that’s what it was since they are right in that area where the wheels actually sit.

Thanks! :D

peggy332014
                            Participant

Here’s my next update!

Bob, I took a pic of the studs I was talking about. I also took a couple of pics to show the steps of getting the striking mechanism in place.

I will now check to see if the strike operates on it’s own, and then add the time gears.

OOPS! I noticed a typo error on my comment in the lower right of pic I don’t know why I said I have to take the wire off to see if it runs! I must have been thinking wrong! I apologize! Don’t remember what I was meaning to say! It’s late, time for bed! 🙄

OH! That’s what I meant.. to take the wire off the mainspring! 🙄 🙄 🙄 😆 ;) :D :D

mahlon
                              Participant

Good job Peggy, what I normally do at this point is to leave the wire on the mainsprings, and just wind the strike side a few turns. By doing that you can check the strike mech by turning the min. arbor by hand, to see that it is striking when it should. This way if an adjustment is needed, you won’t have to recapture the main springs to take it back apart. You will only have to let the strike back down tight against the wire. ;) Mahlon

peggy332014
                                Participant

Good Idea, Mahlon! I was wondering about that 🙄 , didn’t know if I’d have to release the spring. I was hoping I wouldn’t have to until I got the other gears in.

Thanks! :D

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 121 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.