Home Forums Member Shop Pics. “Willofiam”

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 62 total)
  • Author
    jim1228
    Participant

Hey William,
      Just how are your customers getting across the moat into your castle to pick up their clocks? Must be quite a challenge. Lol. Looks great William.
      I wish you well,
      Jim

Bob Tascione

WOW!! I love it. Beautiful shop William! Well organized too.
        Great job on the expansion.
        I’ve picked up some good tips from your page.
        Thanks for putting those pics up here.

Bob

catskillpainter
        Participant

You’ve got an amazing shop going here. You’d never drag me out of a shop like that ! You’ve done a really wonderful job with it.

willofiam

Hey guys, thank you for the responses, been extremely busy here and of course I have rearranged since the last post. I am going to add more detail to some things I have done (I am going to copy cat as he did a great job on his) and as always looking for input on better ideas, recently Bob and Arutha gave suggestions and it is working out great. thanks all and have a fantabulous day ;) , William

willofiam

O.k. here is the cleaning section, wanted to show the dryer box in particular. A simple box made out of 3/4″ melamine, a 1/4″ dado set in on the front edge to allow for a sliding door, I would imagine a hinged door would work just fine but I didnt want to take up too much space, (when I started I was in a 9×10 room in the basement). A hole cut in the top and another piece so as to sandwich a heavy fabric between them, hose clamp a hairdryer to the fabric and WHALLAH. I added some 3/4 x 3/4 “rails” with the dado to hold the baskets off the bottom, for venting I cut 3 slots in each side simply by raising the table saw blade thru the side piece, the finger hole also acts as a vent. The smaller baskets are sink strainers from the local hardware store. In another post about keeping things organized for easier reassembly I use these smaller baskets for that purpose also, (each train in its own basket throughout the cleaning process) the larger baskets hold bigger items off the bottom for drying. William

Bob Tascione

That’s a nice size William. I like it a lot. Geeze your shop is beautiful!

Bob

arutha
                Participant

Are you making me one for Christmas? ;)
                  Looking good my friend. I am using the “gritter cob” medium for drying my movements. My water is not that good quality, if I just dry my movements in a box it leaves water stains so I like an absorbent media instead. Whatever works is good :)

randy
                  Participant

William..

Two suggestions ?

1. Wear a GPS, so that your wife can find you for dinner.
                    2. Get a set of roller skates.

Man,..what a nice, well laid out ( and large ) shop !!!!

All the best.

R

willofiam

Thanks guys, Bob you can come up ANYTIME and show me how to do stuff, Paul, if you came over I would make you anything you wanted out of wood, for free…..and yes Randy there does seem to be alot more wandering around looking for stuff but I will soon have everything just right if thats possible, one thing I hate is looking for something, every second wasted is a wasted second. with a large area it doesnt mean I am any more efficient than a small space, just allows for more stuff and confusion. organization and familiarity with the shop is key to efficiency. At the least I am ready for when Paul sends the Christmas crate full of all the cool tools and lathes he has over there. William

willofiam

Howdy Yall, here are some pictures of how I have my watchmakers lathes set up. Mostly I wanted to show the microscope. I have a difficult time using a loupe while using the lathe. When I bashed my 2 front teeth into the lathe 🙄 I decided there has to be another way. Previously I had rigged the amscope over the lathe but it did not give me all the room I wanted, many times I would want it out of the way so it was kind of a process, they do make the amscope with the larger booms, I was leaning towards getting one when I found this vintage inspection microscope, I drove 4 hours one way figuring if I left at 1 am I would be back by 9am to get back to work, well…..anyway, what I like the most is that it gives me lots of room to roam under the binoculars, also being a large enough boom I can swing it over several lathes. I liked it so much I patiently kept looking for another and WHALLA 😯 , I use this one for inspection, hairspring adjusting, oiling ect…ect…Thru sellers willing to negotiate I purchased each one for $150.00 I hope Paul sends me a Christmas bonus this year :) . the table is not complete as I am still figuring out how I want things exactly but it very functional so far. have a fantabulous day, William

tmac1956
                        Participant

This is the most impresive shop I’ve ever seen! I just love this scope setup. I need to build some kind of boom to mount my cheesy little AmScope with. What did you use before you got this commercial one?

I couldn’t even dream up a shop like yours!

Thanks,
                          Tom

arutha
                          Participant

I need some clock case parts so I will bring over what I need you to make. The same works for you William, if you want to pop over the pond you can take the crate of tools and lathes with you and I wont have to post them. You have an amazing workshop and I am quite jealous :)

willofiam

Hey Tom, I used the amscope over the lathe after I bashed in my 2 front teeth using a loupe. I had to turn the head 90 degrees and cut out a slot in the amscope base to allow the lathe tool post holder to get close enough, I had to build a platform (out of wood) to get the height right, also to give it a bit of a angle to where it was comfortable to use. I did all of that in order to continue to use the light on the amscope. the commercial inspection scope was the cheapest and easiest to accomplish exactly what I wanted over the lathe, otherwise I am sure you could rig up your own boom but I wasnt smart enough to do that..Paul, dont be jealous, be happy that you have inspired me, thanks for all you guys do, William

willofiam

Well, here is the new addition to the shop :D . The recent purchase of the mill and also his lathe with all the tooling has jumped me forward in my plans by 1-2 years. Just need a dividing head and I should be all set, dont tell my wife though, I think she is patiently waiting for it to stop. 🙄

david pierce
                                Participant

William,
                                  Never leave a heavy object such as a vice or dividing head extended out on your mill bed. It could warp your X axis bed and turn your mill into a doorstop. It is always a good idea to take everything off of the bed when you are finished with a project and center the bed over the knee.
                                  You have a really nice shop. With that mill you can make your own clock movements but I am sure you already had that in mind before you bought it.
                                  david

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 62 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.