Home Forums General Discussion Forum JLC 218 entry pallet stone

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 88 total)
  • Author
    gerene
    Participant

Well I made the tool Bob describes in his staffing videos and succesfully removed the hairspring :D . I then removed the roller table using the roller remover tool that I had. This went smooth as well 8-) .
      I am happy so far…

Jan

arutha
      Participant

Well done Jan,
        its amazing what you can do with some basic tools. It doesn’t matter what make or design of tools you have, all that matters is that you can do what you need to do with what you have. If you can’t then you can look at modifying what you have or making something suitable which you Jan have done, of course there will be times when you must have a specific tool but thankfuly this isn’t too often :).
        Half the fun of this job for me is thinking my way through problems and making tools to suit. We are not all in the fortunate position of just being able to buy the tools we may need but I think this makes us better at what we do as we have to learn how to work with different materials and hand tools which is all experience that can be carried over when we have to make parts for our clocks and watches.
        Well done and keep us updated on your progress :)
        Paul.

gerene
        Participant

Thanks Paul. Now I have to remove the staff. I do have a staff remover for my staking set, but I never used it. So I think that this will be a good opportunity to try it out.
          I also found a replacement staff on ebay for this caliber but it is a bit expensive… 😯

Jan

gerene
          Participant

Staff removed without any problem :D

arutha
            Participant

Good stuff, did you turn the rivet back first or just punch it straight out?

gerene
              Participant

I punched it straight out. A few gentle taps was all it took.

bernie weishapl
                Participant

Jan a great post. Glad to hear all came out well. Like Paul half the fun is making tools to meet the needs. Will be interesting to watch as you reassemble the balance.

willofiam

Hey Jan, sounds like your having some fun :D , I know for me, tackling a new procedure can be a bit intimidating, then, after doing it I wonder why all the fuss, well, thats just me 🙄

Is the staff a riveted or friction fit? still asking ( I am a little slow today) maybe that was answered but I didnt see anything on your thread whether it was or not, then again…I may have missed it 🙄 .

If you have photos of the tools you make and the procedures you have and are going to use it would make this a super great thread for everyone as it appears we are all still learning new things on our journeys ;) …….good job and thanks for sharing, William

Bob Tascione

Nice work Jan!
                      Hope that staff wasn’t too expensive. I know the prices have skyrocketed these past few years.
                      Please keep up posted.

Bob

gerene
                      Participant

It was pretty expensive Bob, at least I find €44.99 ($60.00) for a staff expensive :( .
                        I will try to turn my own, but I thought that for the first staff replacement I might use a factory made staff, even though it is expensive.

Jan

gerene
                        Participant

@willofiam wrote:

Is the staff a riveted or friction fit? still asking ( I am a little slow today) maybe that was answered but I didnt see anything on your thread whether it was or not, then again…I may have missed it 🙄 .

If you have photos of the tools you make and the procedures you have and are going to use it would make this a super great thread for everyone as it appears we are all still learning new things on our journeys ;) …….good job and thanks for sharing, William

Hey William. This is a riveted staff. I punched it out with the staff removing tool and my staking set. Here is a picture of them, together with the tool I made to remove the hairspring. I couldn’t get underneath the hairspring collet with the fork of the tool, so I used the other side of the tool to twist the collet open and remove the collet from the staff. Harder to explain than to do. :)

The roller was removed using the roller remover I showed in an earlier post in this thread ;)

Jan

Bob Tascione

Hi Jan,
                            That is Expensive!
                            I’m curious. The 218 is a large movement isn’t it? Is this movement out of a watch or a small clock?

Bob

gerene
                            Participant

Indeed expensive.
                              Yes, the Jaeger-Le Coultre 218 is a 19 ligne movement and it comes out of a small desk clock with musical alarm made by Le Coultre and named “Petite Neuchateloise”

Jan

willofiam

Hey Jan, do you think you will give making a staff a whirl even though you have a new one coming in? William

gerene
                                Participant

@willofiam wrote:

Hey Jan, do you think you will give making a staff a whirl even though you have a new one coming in? William

I am thinking about it. Might be nice, just for practice (and fun).

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 88 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.