Home Forums General Discussion Forum Grandmother clock restoration

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    mahlon
    Participant

Bernie, I think butterworth clocks was the cheapest that I found for the last Hermle parts I bought.Mahlon

mahlon
      Participant

Hay ED, you might try Champs Clock shop Douglasville Ga.Mahlon

bernie weishapl
        Participant

Mahlon, Black Forest Imports are the same price but the nice thing is I have a open account with them net 30 days. Works good for me. I am paid for the repairs and then can pay the parts bill. :D

arutha
          Participant

There is no private messaging on this forum. If you ask Bob nicely he will send you Ed’s email address or vice versa. It has been done for member privacy as there have been issues on other forums with private messaging.
            Paul.

willofiam

Hey Ed, great to hear your wife is doing well, we will keep yall in prayer here ;) . sounds like Bernie is going to help you get a handle on this clock. from the pictures of the case as far as I can tell it looks to be in pretty good shape (difficult to see though) you might get by with a good cleaning and some touch-up, but I would get everything set up in there first then do the case work, just my thoughts :)
              Did you say you have the original movement? is it that Mauth? what seems to be wrong with it? am I getting old and forgetful? do you have the original chime block, dial? William

Bob Tascione

Does anyone know how to e-mail someone thru this site or do I just give my e-mail on here? Thanks.

Hey Bernie,
                I’ll email you Eds email address and will send him yours in a few minutes so you guys can hook up.

Give ma a few minutes. Still throwing coffee at my face to wake up. :D

Bob

bernie weishapl
                Participant

Sounds like a plan. Ed I forgot I had a appointment this morning so will look this afternoon and see if I have any shells for weights.

bernie weishapl
                  Participant

Ed e-mail headed your way. I do have the movement and 3 weight shells. I forgot to ask and William beat me to it. Do you have the original movement? Is it the Mathue you have shown? How about the rest of it? Dial, pendulum, etc?

ewinrow
                    Participant

Hey Bernie, Yes it is the Mathue movement and the face is about 71/2″ round and the pendulum was about 8″ long wood and brass. It was a wind-up movement but I would really like to put a real motor in it, meaning weight driven, chain and Westminster chime. Am I asking to much? Whatever you have to accommodate me with this endeavor, if any funds are required besides postal, please let me know via email and I will discuss it with you, before any transactions are done. I really like to keep things real and leave no doors open for any misunderstandings. I trust you cause you offered and I want you to also trust me. OH, did you get my email yet? Also Bernie, the movements that you mentioned you said may need bushings. Would by chance you have the needed bushings to send with the movement? Well for right now I’m going to go to my yahoo mail and check out your message. Thanks Bernie and will get back with you, Ed.

bernie weishapl
                      Participant

Ed I found this movement and I don’t think it will need bushings. It is in pretty decent shape and I think a good cleaning and oiling will do the trick with it as far as I can see. When you get the package postage would be just fine. The rest is yours and up to you to make it go. If you think it needs bushings just measure the pivot and I will get bushing out to you but like I said it is in decent shape. I probably wouldn’t put any bushings in myself. Other than that I am not sure if it has any problems but I am sure if it does it can be fixed. I will get it packed up this weekend with the weight shells and get it out Monday or Tuesday. I am glad I could help.

ewinrow
                        Participant

😡 Hey Bernie and friends,
                          I thought I would be moving right along with my Grandmother clock restoration. But so far I’m still on the door. Yesterday when I got started of course unexpected company comes by and hangs out until about eight, not bad, got back on it and here comes my cousin and his wife from two county’s over to see my wife and we all stayed-up until about 0500R (5:00AM.) After eating and having a couple of cocktails, just a couple. Were not big on drinking around here and he had to drive back home so I didn’t do any promoting on drinking. Talk about upsetting though 😯 OK anyway I thought I’d sleep until about 9:00am. :) NOPE, 8:30 my wife wakes me telling me that she had a 9:30 doctors appointment, so I stumble to the shower and then get dressed and off we go. Got there about 9:15 just to sit until 11:45 before they called her in 😡 . 12:52 were out of there and unbeknown to me she wants to go out and sit in a restaurant and have lunch :o, Golden Coral. Now I’m counting the minuets as she as she dines on what seemed to be “EVERYTHING” in the restaurant 😯 . So around 3:00pm today we finally get home :D and I get started on my project once more now it’s 5:30pm yup, guess who now :?: Yup her sister her old man and of course the kids yup, of course it’s nice outside and yup, I have been nominated grill master for the evening 🙄 . So here are a couple of pics on my close to retrogress project. “YUP”, that’s all folks :|.

mahlon
                          Participant

Hey Ed, looks like you are coming along. It looks like you are missing a couple pieces of veneer on the grill. I can’t really tell for sure from the pics. but it looks like mahogany. Let me know and I’ll see what I can come up with. Mahlon

bernie weishapl
                            Participant

Ed that is looking really good. You and I both got bamboozeled today. We are just getting home as she decided we needed to go shopping after her dental appointment. So I didn’t get much accomplished today at all. Oh well there is always tomorrow. I did find 3 weight shells for this movement which I will send along. Two of the weights already have the inserts so you will only have to buy a 6.6 lb insert. So the time side and strike side are good to go.

ewinrow
                              Participant

Thanks a million Bernie.
                                I didn’t have much time to spend on it again today either, “YUP” my cousin and his wife came back again today and they are just leaving, 11″30pm. Also I just got another cookoo clock in today. Running fair but I see it too needs cleaning, oiling and bellows. Within the last couple of day’s I have become a busy man. :)
                                No worries though as you all say, theirs always tomorrow :D . Or is tomorrow also going to be plagued with other men and madams? Oh and children….. :?:.
                                Anyway, the chuck wagon is officially closed and all have driven away with full bellies and “YUP” I’m going to bed. Salam to all (Peace) and goodnight 8-) . Thanks Bernie/Malon 8-). Sunrise I will start my grind once more.

ewinrow
                                Participant

Got your package Bernie, thanks a million. Will keep you updated. Been working on small movements today and this is how my table has been all day. :? , got’em all working. Tomorrow will start on my major project. She loved the extra as I did. Thank you and your fam. Called you earlier and left message. Thanks again, Ed. 8-) Oh, my Grizzly claw stays on here for other memories. As does my Baboon tooth in my Cain. Use to enjoy the hunt but the kill was more exasperating. “BUT”, I am now a clock/watch maker/repairman 8-)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 51 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.