Home Forums General Discussion Forum Grandmother clock restoration

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    ewinrow
    Participant

Well I have decided to now work on my grandmother clock that I have had sitting in a corner for quite some time now. I decided to take this endeavor on now due to my wife who just got out of the hospital after having a slight stroke. She has always loved this clock and stayed upset with me because I wouldn’t do anything with it. I guess I was more in tuned with what I really wanted to do with total disregard to her desires. Now she gets center stage and I will surly do my best on it just to satisfy her. I was so sad seeing her laid-up in the hospital with tubes, oxygen and a barrage of doctors working on her and nurses with needles in both hands pumping her with who knows what. :( Anyway the casing is in pretty good condition but I am going to sand down to bare wood and re-stain/shellac and buff out. The movement is shot so I’m going to purchase something close to it and re-arrange the inner’s to fit the new movement. The case is about 5’Hx10″Wx6″D and the bezel/face opening is 8″ round.

I have been searching eBay most of the day looking to mix and match, but without precise measurements I may just have to buy and modify. I want a 8 day key wind movement and match a face to it with hands but I want as long a pendulum as the movement will handle to be seen in as much of the glass face as possible. A new project that for me requires a lot of research. Even though I am slightly engulfed in other minor projects, I will spend most of my time, money and resources on this project for now. The case was in rickety shape, so far that’s all I have done to it. Stripper all of the hardware off of it and secured the casing to a more than better steadiness. I didn’t take any pics of the movement and short pendulum because their trashed. Along with the mounting assy. I’m sure this will be an ongoing project but one that I’m willing to be more than happy to take it on. 8-) As usual, always contemplating the end result. Will keep the form posted.

P.S. I’m open to any and all suggestions and will be asking a multitude of questions. :mrgreen:

mahlon
      Participant

Hey Ed, very sorry to here of your wifes illness I will add you and her to my prayer list. As for the clock. Very nice case. I would suggest using a stripper rather than sanding. If you sand the dome on that clock, you will end up with a discoloration on the radius, where the arch begins. The veneer is the thinnest at that point, and produces a glue line from front to back. By stripping it first, you can light sands without having this problem. Were there any markings on the old movement? Mahlon

chris mabbott
        Participant

Sorry to hear about your wife Ed, the good news is that they know more about this condition now than they ever have and treatment is 100% effective.
          I’ve had two colleagues who suffered embolisms last year, now they are fine, a life change in diet, exercise & reducing stress, but that’s a good thing.

Nice looking clock buddy, but I’m not much help to you unless I find some parts on the bay, then I can happily alert you:-) damn watch guys LOL

bernie weishapl
          Participant

Ed I am sorry to hear about your wife. Will keep you and her in our thoughts and prayers. Chris is right though with all the advancements in the medical field today hopefully she will make a full recovery. My Aunt did but like Chris said there will be some life style changes such as diet, exercise, and above all no stress she will hopefully do fine.

What kind of movement are you looking for Ed? Chain driven, cable driven or spring wound. I will look when I go to the shop today and see what I have. I think I have a couple of decent 451.050 with either 85 cm or 94 cm pendulums. You would just have to find weights, dial, chime assembly and pendulum. If I have a decent one I will send it to you for free if you want it. I would think a 451-050 85 or 94 would be just fine in that clock. The one’s I have worked on that had your shape of case that was about the length and all 3 were stick pendulums. They were also all chain driven movements. Let us know.

ewinrow
            Participant

Thanks “Gentlemen” and I mean that literally. She is coming along really well, really she is 100% if you ask me but I want her to rest-up for a few more days. So far no stress from me and I wont allow no one else to drill her. I can see she would love to have a glass of sherry, but nope. She brought one of those dadgum electric cigarettes to take the edge off while she attempts to stop smoking. Also she is sneaking candy with her sugar. (Lifesavers.) 😡 She’s got to tighten-up and get her head out of her duffel bag. I’m almost going to hate to be like she was another paratrooper jumping in my stick, you know. MAKE’EM HARD BUT DON’T BREAK’EM ❗ ❗ ❗ ❗ ❗ I can be extremely mean and nasty without remorse and she knows this. She will be ok I wont treat her as a trainee or cherry. She’s my Boo.

OK, Mahlon; I hadn’t thought about the top being the thinnest of the case and now that I know that I will use stripper, yes I was going to do some grinding with the old sander. 😳 I haven’t done anything in that area yet, still waiting to see who has good tips here on the form. I really want to do it right.

Chris; I know your all in and even though you are a watch man, you still have something up there to contribute. This I know. I’ll soon ask the right question and you’ll respond as if you were on “Who want’s to be a millionaire?” :D

Bernie; I would like to put a chain drive movement in it, now be mindful, this is my 1st and anything I put in it I would need to know the details, i.e. weight size and actual weight of each, info on matching face hands and installation hardware and I would like to use a Lyre pendulum for 75cm movements it’s about 271/4″ long. About the pendulum, will the length effect the swing meaning, at the bottom of the clock will the pendulum swing have to swing wider than the case will allow or should I just go with a shorter stick with brass bob? Anyway Bernie as you can see, I have questions. Also If by chance you have a movement available I would be more than happy to pay postage and handling since you mentioned you would throw in the movement ahh and of course with some info on some of the questions asked. :) Bernie, let me know how we can get this started, precheat cha, Ed.

Bob Tascione

Hi Ed,
                I sure am sorry to hear about your wife. This must be very difficult for you. I hope she recovers quickly and can return home to you soon.
                Please keep us posted.
                As for your clock I think Mahlon (who has far more experience and knowledge than I do about antique wood restoration!) makes a great point. I always stay away from sanding any finish and only strip when absolutely necessary. Normally I used Howards refinishing products to try to restore old cases. There are also some good recipes that you can mix yourself. Anything beyond that I sent to a friend that knew a great deal about antique restoration. In most cases his advice was to only use gentle refinishing products unless something serious like fire damage had occurred. Just passing along what I’ve heard as I know little about antique wood restoration. As far as the movement, Bernies offer seems like a great one to get you up and running fast to surprise your wife. You can always keep a look out for a movement that is more original to the case and replace it later.

Take care Ed and all the best to you and your wife.
                Bob

Bob Tascione

Hey Ed,
                  Looks like we both posted at the same time just now.
                  Bob

bernie weishapl
                  Participant

Ok Ed will try to answer some of your questions and will ask one of you. How wide is the clock case about mid-range from the top? I have a couple of 451-050 movements that will definitely need cleaning and maybe a bush or two but otherwise are in pretty decent shape. The weights are time 4.7 lbs, strike 4.7 lbs and chime is 6.6 lbs. Those that I have had stick pendulums on them. If using a lyre pendulum you would have to have a 6.6 lb weight on the time side. The movements I have are either 85 cm or 94 cm pendulum lengths. The hands I know are for a 8″ dial and they run $6. I think a dial would be $63 and the pendulum with a 4″ bob is around $30. A lyre pendulum will run you about 2 to 2 1/2 times the cost of the stick pendulum. You may find them cheaper on the bay but don’t know. I haven’t checked lately. If I remember rightly the dial attaches to the front of the movement. All you would need then is a seat board for the movement to sit and be fastened to. Chime block assembly with 8 rods for the 451 is around $40. You will probably have to build a wood spacer that will bolt to the back of the case to make it come within the chime hammers of the movement. Hope this answers a lot of your questions. If not ask away.

arutha
                    Participant

I would also suggest keeping an eye out on ebay, If you type in “clock” and then select “distance – nearest first” it will bring up all the clocks in your area first. Because of the size of these clocks people are usually unwilling to post so you can still find a bargain, you could then end up with a complete clock which you can rob all of the stuff from for your case, it will work out much cheaper than buying all the parts individually.
                      Paul.

bernie weishapl
                      Participant

Good point Paul.

arutha
                        Participant

Sorry Bernie, just re-read Ed’s post, I hope I didn’t lose you a movement sale :(
                          I must learn to read things properly before I open my mouth!
                          Paul.

ewinrow
                          Participant

Hey gents, thanks for all of the good advice. I checked into purchasing an entire clock but no one wants to ship. I didn’t find any within my area that offers local free pk-up Arutha. I’ve had the feeling this project was going to cost a bit of cash and I really have to watch how I spend on it. It also may be long going as I have to keep check of my budget and something like this, I’d rather deal with friends here on the form. Trusting those shysters on the bay, you’ll spend lots of money and receive a lot of junk in most instances. If they were all that good and knowledgeable, they’d be here in the course. 8-) Nope for right now I’ll stick with the course members. :) Besides were all here for the long haul. On the bay their in it just for the money. Well Bernie the case is 101/2″ wide midway up. Need any other info just let me know. I’ll stick with a stick pendulum seeing how they are cheaper and I really don’t know if a Lyre will actually fit and swing freely without hitting the sides. Due to length and width of entire assembly especially the bob at the bottom. All other needed parts I would purchase from Merritt’s and Cas-ker Co unless after research on eBay I find something cheaper and non mechanical ie, weights, pendulum, chains, etc. Oh and thanks to everyone with concern for my wife. She is home now Bob and recouping fine. She will be ok. ;) OK, a pleasant evening to all, Ed.

mahlon
                            Participant

Ed, you might try butterworth clocks. They sometimes have a lot of used parts. Just do a word search for them. Mahlon

bernie weishapl
                              Participant

I think the movement will work fine The case I put one of those in was I think 8 1/2″ or 9 1/2″ wide. This movement I will send has the chains, suspension spring and pendulum leader. You might also check Black Forest Imports. They sell all the Hermle parts. They are cheaper in a lot of cases than Merritts, Casker and others. Ronell and Timesavers is another good place for parts. I may have some older weight shells so you would just need to get some inserts. I have used iron washers, shotgun shot, etc. I will look in the morning. I will send a e-mail to you Ed on here in the morning. I am still not sure how to private message or e-mail on here yet. If it can’t be done or I cannot figure it out I will just send you my e-mail in this post.

bernie weishapl
                                Participant

Does anyone know how to e-mail someone thru this site or do I just give my e-mail on here? Thanks.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 51 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.