Home Forums General Discussion Forum Seth Thomas chime clock

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 95 total)
  • Author
    mclark3617
    Participant

yea..and that worked too but I wanted to try to isolate each wheel and see if I could tell which was binding… if I turn on the wheel next to the barrel the balance takes off. but there is no bind on it. im still wondering about the barrels, the axles seem to have too much play from what I can tell. can the holes in the barrel wear out to the point it will bind up? like were the axle rotates on the brass of the barrel.

arutha
      Participant

Yes Mike, the barrel and barrel cap holes can wear, this allows the barrels to sit at slight angles and can, if bad enough, lock up the intermediate wheel, not only that but if you have wear in the clock plates too this can add to the problem.

Binding will occur under load as it pushes the pivots into the areas they have worn in the plates, this in turn will make the arbors sit at slight angles and again, if bad enough, can lock up the train.

Have you checked the rest of the gears to make sure none of them have any wear in the clock plates?
        Paul.

willofiam

O.K. Mike, not sure what I was thinking about when I posted this 🙄 @willofiam wrote:

how easy is it to turn the minute hand when mounted on the shaft? should be “snug” but able to move without “forcing” it. If it is too loose this could be causing your problems and not allowing power to transfer up the train, there are a couple of options to address this. William

This is if the hands are not moving around the dial properly (like if it was running right but the hands are showing it slow), has nothing to do with what your looking for because if it was too loose the power would still run through the train, Sorry if I was confusing anyone….William

mclark3617
          Participant

Well I think its either the barrel or the next wheel in line, would that be called the fourth wheel? I can buy a new barrel with new spring installed for 30 dollars. Im thinking of trying that as I believe the spring is week also. and if that doesn’t work it has to be the next wheel (fourth wheel) Ive looked at the pivot holes a bunch of time. and as they look loose by my standards they all look equal to each other so im thinking there good, with the pivots in there seems to me no more that 5 deg slant in any of them. so that’s why im leaning more towards the barrel assembly.

tmac1956
            Participant

Bernie:

Those guitar strings are .009″ and .010″ in diameter. You can find them as small as .007″ if needed.

Just FYI…
              Tom

bernie weishapl
              Participant

I would take the new mainspring out of the barrel and clean it. I have found some of them have sit on the shelf for some time and the oil/grease is sticky. I just clean all the new springs without or with the barrel. Also the next wheel up is the second wheel.

mclark3617
                Participant

Thank you Bernie

mclark3617
                  Participant

Ok, I know ive tried this before, but I used my other barrel from the gong train, its the same size, and now the balance seems to be running fairly well. It started out slow but when I just looked at it it seems to be running with a 180 deg swing. Ill let you know what happens when i try the new barrel. And I will take Bernies advice and clean and oil the new spring first.

mclark3617
                    Participant

I got my new barrel and spring in, and I just had to try it out before I cleaned it. and its been running strong for the day so far, when I clean and oil it I want to measure the Diameters and holes and compare them to the Old one. then its time to put the external linkage on, is there anything that will need special alignment, any of the pressed on wheels?

mclark3617
                      Participant

ok the clock is together all except the outer linkage.. chime and strike.. before I start is there anything I should be aware of alignment wise or is that all done after its all put together?

mclark3617
                        Participant

It appears the answer was already worked out one here,,,this is the link
                          viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102

mclark3617
                          Participant

ok guys, I have it all together and trying to adjust things, and im wondering if I put the lifting star on the center wheel on out of sink,, I just tapped it on without any thought to alignment, should I have lined the tips of the lobes up with the minute hand? when Im moving the minute hand the chime goes off at about 5 or 10 minutes after it should.

willofiam

You should be able to adjust the minute hand “bushing” (on the hand) to show the correct time. Be careful when doing this so you do not bend or break the hand. a square end on a file will work or there is a tool made just for adjusting those. google, clock minute hand adjusting tool, and look for the red handled, square tapered, hand tool. William

mclark3617
                              Participant

Ok I see it,, is that the normal way of doing this.. or should I pay more attention to the alignment next time I put one on.

willofiam

@Mclark3617 wrote:

should I pay more attention to the alignment next time I put one on

Nope

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 95 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.