Home Forums General Discussion Forum Seth Thomas chime clock

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 95 total)
  • Author
    Bob Tascione

Hi McClark,
      I’m not sure if you can order a new jewel that fit in the setting or if a jeweled setting (bearing) is available for that balance. Maybe Bernie or others know. My guess is a new floating balance is the answer?

Bob

willofiam

looks like a new one can cost up to 60.00, I saw a few on ebay new and used (used are looking rather cheap, 15.00 or so) also looks like you could buy the whole movement with the balance for 40 – 50. I just measured 8 balances, outside diameters of the tube that holds the jewel all appear to be the same. If you want, I have a beat up balance but the jewel looks o.k. that you can try replacing the jewel with. William

mclark3617
        Participant

Have you ever replaced one? Are they glued in or pressed in. I would be interested in trying to replace it if its possible and i havent fund anyplace that sells just the jewels

willofiam

I have not had the good fortune of having to replace one, cant say for sure how they are secured but it looks like it is possible they are set in the tube then rubbed over to hold in place, can you tell on yours with the jewel out? I have also heard of them being shellacked, the ones I have do not appear that way, maybe it was the older ones. email me if you want this one. William

mclark3617
            Participant

I cant find an email address Will, would i go to your web page?

Bob Tascione

Hi MClark,
                Williams email address should be in your inbox now. Sent it to you a minute ago.
                Adios,
                Bob

mclark3617
                Participant

Thanks Bob, got it

bernie weishapl
                  Participant

I have never replaced one either. I can tell you that unless you can find a watch jewel to fit they don’t make jewels specifically for the FB. One other thing is if you do try to replace it you will have to be extremely careful not to mess up the helical spring on it. Look on Ebay and you can find them. Here is 2 for $65. http://www.ebay.com/itm/FLOATING-BALANCE-ESCAPEMENT-OR-ECHAPEMENT-FOR-FHS-HERMLE-CLOCK-WORK-W-140-/131194606197?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e8bced275 That is not a bad deal and both are new old stock. I bought a couple to keep in stock and at $32.50 each I can make some money. Here is a used one with the bid at $15. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Floating-balance-/171426715954?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27e9d41932

willofiam

I here yah Bernie, sometime buying one complete is alot easier, I am sending Mark one and I will try to get at tearing one apart (I have several that are all bunged up) would be nice to figure it out. there is no bearing surface on these, they are just “guides” so to speak (I suppose most pivot holes are), I wonder if replacing with smaller id hole jewels (even by making a sleeve) and fit a thinner wire (guitar string) to them if that would cause any issues in performance? might even run better, just thinkin 🙄 . William

mclark3617
                      Participant

Is there really a ig differance between the old style spring and the new style hairspring type balances, from what I have been reading the older helical spring ones are better.

bernie weishapl
                        Participant

Yes there is a difference and I can tell ya I hate the new ones. The old ones are just so much better. The new ones to me are so much more finicky. Either of the these FB’s do not put in a ultrasonic. I clean them with one dip. I save all the old balances I get and restring them with new guitar wire. I put wrap them up and put them in my stock.

mclark3617
                          Participant

I found a balance on Ebay. so I can continue with this clock , but im not giving up on repairing this balance.
                            I the mean time I got the new balance, cleaned it and installed it, it would run for a bit and stop. so I took it all back apart and took a closer look at everything and noticed some green goo still on the gear teeth, I cleaned those back up I checked the play in all the pivots, no more than 5 deg on any of them. but when I put it back together, just the time train this time it ran for a bit and stopped. I noticed that the escapement wheel was just dangling,, no power to it.. so I reached in to the next wheel and gave it a nudge and the balance took off,, I went down the train till I got to the spring barrel and the next wheel,,, its either the wheel next to the barrel or the barrel, I did notice that the barrel did seem a bit loose,, I rechecked the play on the wheel next to the barrel and it seemed fine. but im pretty sure im loosing my power between these to items. the other barrel of the same size,, the gong barrel I believe, I tried in its place,, it wasn’t quite as loose and it went longer but there is still the bind.
                            on the barrels most of the play seems to be between the arbor that winds the spring and the axle that slides in and out with the square for the key. could these items be wore out ?

willofiam

@Bernie Weishapl wrote:

most of the play seems to be between the arbor that winds the spring and the axle that slides in and out with the square for the key. could these items be wore out ?

If I am reading this right….I dont think so
                              Did you try removing the lever and putting some pressure on the barrel to see if everything turns freely? if it does not turn freely then you can check 2 wheels at a time between the plates to see which 2 are binding (meshing improperly) That is of course you dont see any bent pivots or arbors. Also, after cleaning it is a good practice to peg out all the plate holes, very seldom do they get “clean” just from the standard cleaning process ( use round toothpicks in the plate holes until they come out clean), hope you find that culprit :D ……William

mclark3617
                              Participant

without the lever it spins fine,, the binding seems to only accure under a load. but the only part that looks too loose is the barrel axel.
                                now this may seem very unorthodox but I took the barrel out and attached a string to the next wheel in line with a weight on it and nothing, then I moved to the next wheel in line, which is the center wheel and attached the weight and string and it took off.

willofiam

O.K. Mike, how easy is it to turn the minute hand when mounted on the shaft? should be “snug” but able to move without “forcing” it. If it is too loose this could be causing your problems and not allowing power to transfer up the train, there are a couple of options to address this. William

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 95 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.