Home Forums Member Shop Pics. One room tool house…Tmac1956

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 62 total)
  • Author
    david pierce
    Participant

Tom,
      Your new mill will give you the machining capacity to make a nice microscope inspection stand out of standard items. The vertical base can be a threaded pipe flange and the vertical columb can be a section of pipe. The horizontal arm can be a section of EMT with enough diameter to be stable (EMT is lighter than pipe). You can design a a swivel block to hold the horizontal arm to the vertical columm and make it out of plastic, wood. aluminum or any other material on your new mill. the same goes for the mounting bracket for the microscope on the end of the arm.
      david

tmac1956
      Participant

David:

I think I need to get into a design/build mindset for a lot of things now that I have this functionallity. I can tell I’ve been in academia far too long. ;)

Thanks!
        Tom

tmac1956
        Participant

All:

I finally made the mounting plates for my 8mm Levin and set it up with digital indicators on the X and Y axis that I can zero out. I milled slots in the plates allowing me to adjust the lathe and motor positions to allow different pulley sizes and keep the correct tension on the belts. I’m using O rings for the belts making for quieter operation.

Here’s the base – it’s just a wooden carving board.

I used small O rings where ever I could to further reduce vibrations.

Here’s the motor attached to the mounting plate.

Motor mounted:

CONTINUED…

tmac1956
          Participant

Lathe continued…

Here a top view of the lathe, it’s mounting plate, and two stell plates used to hold magnetic indicator stands.

Here’s and end view with the late put together. There is a 4 jaw chuck, a 3 way slide, holding a quick change tool holder.

Side view:

Another misc. shot:

Well, there it is.

Thanks!

Bob Tascione

You did a great job Tom!
              That’s a beautiful setup!
              Thanks for posting it up here.

Bob

tmac1956
              Participant

Bob.

Thanks… it took a while, but now I have what I need.

Thanks!
                Tom

willofiam

Hey Tom….WELL DONE, how do you like the motor, I have been thinking of one for my lathe, where did you get it and how much? I would want to plug into a variable speed control. Thank you, William

arutha
                  Participant

That is a great set-up Tom, its nice to get things set up just how you want them :)
                    So what are you going to make first?
                    Paul.

david pierce
                    Participant

Tom,
                      The setup looks great; nice job on the plate. The mill gives you the capacity to turn an idea into a working product.
                      William,
                      I bought my motor from Sincere off of Ebay. They are extremely quiet and I like them much better than any other lathe motor I have tried so far. It is an AC induction motor so the speed must be regulated with a frequency or duty cycle type of speed controller. A standard watch motor pedel will not work with this type of motor. I regulate mine with belts and pulleys but that is a personal preference. The motors cost about $200.00 each and the price includes the pulley.
                      david

bernie weishapl
                      Participant

Tom that is one great setup. Really well thought out and done.

tmac1956
                        Participant

@Arutha wrote:

That is a great set-up Tom, its nice to get things set up just how you want them :)
                          So what are you going to make first?
                          Paul.

Paul:

I need to get a centering scope before I take on much. I might make a screw block or something easy.

THanks!
                          Tom

tmac1956
                          Participant

@willofiam wrote:

Hey Tom….WELL DONE, how do you like the motor, I have been thinking of one for my lathe, where did you get it and how much? I would want to plug into a variable speed control. Thank you, William

William:

I got mine from the same place that David got his (chinese motor on ebay). It been excellent and it costs about $200.00. However, this one won’t work very well with a variable speed control. I just adjust the pully combinations to get the turning rate that I need.

Here’s the link:
                            http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motor-with-Both-Pulleys-for-Watchmaker-lathe-/120817588396?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item1c214a18ac

Later,
                            Tom

willofiam

Thanks Tom.

tmac1956
                              Participant

All:

This is what I used to do before I lost vision in my right eye… before I started into horology. Hand wrapped semi precious stones with 20 ga. round half-hard sterling silver wire. It was just a hobby but I had to give it up – I no longer have depth perception. Hmmm…. perhaps I picked the wrong thing to go into – horology I mean. ;)

Thanks,
                                Tom

Bob Tascione

Hey Tom,
                                  That looks like some intricate work. To address your lack of depth perception, I had a watchmaker friend many years ago who had lost an eye when he was young. He became and remained an excellent watchmaker his entire adult life. When asked if it was difficult for him his answer was “no more difficult than anyone else using a loupe. Once a loupe is on one eye all depth perception gained from using two eyes is gone anyway”. :) He made a good point.

Adios for now,
                                  Bob

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 62 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.