Home Forums Member Shop Pics. One room tool house…Tmac1956

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 62 total)
  • Author
    Bob Tascione

Thanks Tom!

arutha
      Participant

You have a lovely workshop there Tom, its so nice to be able to dedicate space to watch/clock repair as in my early days I remember having to pack everything away each evening and it could be so frustrating if you were half way through something. The chance of losing stuff increases as well so its never an ideal situation. It is a real privilege to have a workshop and you have built up a great selection of tools too. I still love opening the door to my workshop each morning, its mine, nothing disturbs me (especially when I turn my phone off now and again :)) and I can just get on and do what I love.
        Well done, all your time/effort and money is paying off :)
        Paul.

tmac1956
        Participant

Arutha:

Now if I could do a rubbed in jewel replacement job like you, I might be able to utilize all of these tools that I have amassed. ;)

Thanks!
          Tom

david pierce
          Participant

Tom,
            That green book sitting sideways on your shelf is one of the best refrence sources ever. Turn to the section called STEELS and read through it. I bought my copy in 1978 and still refer to it often. There is so much information there for the machinist: speeds, feeds, materials, cutter angles, thread information, bolt sizes, fit specfications etc., etc, etc. If there was only one book I could buy for machinest work, that would be the book. I always keep a copy by my toilet. That is where I have my best quality study time.
            david

david pierce
            Participant

Bob,
              If you got to Ebay and bring up microscopes there should be a large section devoted to AMSCOPE products. Mine was around $150.00 and I am extremely happy with it. When I got mine I wanted the eyepieces to be mounted 180 degrees in the other direction so I took it apart and reversed the prisms and the eyepieces. The image in that scope is far better than any loupe I ever looked through. If you examine pallets, jewels, pivots, gears and any other small watch part the image is as clear as a bell. If you have a tiny jewel that is damaged or cracked, the defect will look like the GRAND CANYON through that thing.
              david

arutha
              Participant

Hi Tom,
                it will come to you with time, I still have tools I cant use properly but when you stop and think how many different tools we have it is hardly surprising.
                Paul.

randy
                Participant
                  david pierce
                  Participant

That is the microscope. When I got mine I turned the eyepieces around 180 degrees. That made it easier for me to use.
                    david

Bob Tascione

That’s a great price!
                      Gonna tell Santa right now! She’s still in the kitchen cooking Thanksgiving dinner.

Bob

randy
                      Participant

I love to find a bargain !!!!

willofiam

Hey Bob, hope you are still in one piece figuring youve been sneaking into the kitchen, I just looked on craigslist in my area (just a general search for microscope) and found 2 of those microscopes, $45 and $60, If you want to try and find one you can get them pretty cheap, Bought mine for $25, I am not using mine as I now have the 2 of a different style, I found the amscope great for inspection and oiling, not the best if you want to do something under them with the focal point fairly close, it is beneficial for some applications, I also turned my eyepiece and was able to rig it up over the lathe, I will post some pictures on my shop section of the new ones I got that I can actually work under ect… cost a little more and were used (I had to be patient to find them) but I think they are the cats meow… William

tmac1956
                          Participant

@david pierce wrote:

Tom,
                            That green book sitting sideways on your shelf is one of the best refrence sources ever. Turn to the section called STEELS and read through it. I bought my copy in 1978 and still refer to it often. There is so much information there for the machinist: speeds, feeds, materials, cutter angles, thread information, bolt sizes, fit specfications etc., etc, etc. If there was only one book I could buy for machinest work, that would be the book. I always keep a copy by my toilet. That is where I have my best quality study time.
                            david

David:

I’ll do that. I bought it because I read you commenting on the importance of it. Additionally, we had something similar that we used for just about everything in steel design for structural engineers. I believe it was called the ASIC manual.

Thanks!
                            Tom

tmac1956
                            Participant

@Arutha wrote:

Hi Tom,
                              it will come to you with time, I still have tools I cant use properly but when you stop and think how many different tools we have it is hardly surprising.
                              Paul.

Thanks – I hope so. I don’t give up easily (often to my own detriment). ;)
                              Tom

Bob Tascione

I just looked on craigslist in my area (just a general search for microscope) and found 2 of those microscopes, $45 and $60, If you want to try and find one you can get them pretty cheap

Hey William thanks. You’re right. I just found a couple that are VERY reasonable. Gonna keep checking on Craigslist. It would be nice to have them over the lathes as you said.

Gracias!
                                Bob

tmac1956
                                Participant

Bob et. al.:

Has anyone ever posted a method for mounting one of these on the 8mm lathe? I’d like to get anouther one for that. It would be nice to be able to swing it out of the way when needed.

Thanks,
                                  Tom

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 62 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.