Home Forums General Discussion Forum Drill press purchase

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 31 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    tmac1956
    Participant

@gerene wrote:

Just comparing the two machines, it looks like the Proxxon will do more things than a beginner like myself needs. It does have much higher speed than the Mini Mill, but less horsepower AND it looks like the Proxxon uses proprietary collets (I could be wrong on that one.)

What about CNC capabilities? Does either of these work like that and of how much importance is this capability for students in Horology – cutting gears, etc.?
      Thanks again!
      tmac

You are right, Proxxon uses proprietary collets ranging from 1.0 mm to 3.2 mm (1/32″ to 1/8″) included with the machine, but a M8x1 Jacobs chuck will also work.

Proxxon does have a CNC kit available for it, I don’t have it and would not know if it is of much importance in horology.

I have one of those and I am happy with it. Never used it for things like gear cutting, so I cannot comment on that.

Jan

gerene:

Thanks for the information. Do you use your machine for both a precision drill press and mill? Just curious.

tmac

david pierce
      Participant

Tmac,
        Yes, it can drill high precision holes. Because of it’s design, mass, precision, repeatability and R-8 spindle, it can produce high precision precisely located holes.
        david

gerene
        Participant

@tmac1956 wrote:

Do you use your machine for both a precision drill press and mill? Just curious.

Yes, I do and I am happy with it. Here it is used for drilling in making lantern pinions.

I do not have any pictures of it used as a mill.

Jan

Viewing 3 posts - 31 through 33 (of 33 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.