Home Forums General Discussion Forum Drill press purchase

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    harold g
    Participant

I am in the begining stages of trying to fix a bent and what seems to me a broken or blunted pivot.And one of the main ingredients to a solution is a drill press.I’ve seen precision sensitive drill press and awatchmakers drill press mentioned in your threads.I looked up and found the Dumore precision drill press,Proxxon 38128 TBM,and seen mention of a Micro Mark 81631 and the craftsmen line.So any recomendations for one that does it all,does it best et,et. thank you

david pierce
      Participant

Harold,
        The Dumore series 16 drill press is a high end precision piece of industrial equipment. It should have a Jacobs 0 taper shaft and can hold an Albrecht 15J0 keyless drill chuck. When another student was having a problem drilling a hole with a number 80 drill bit, I tested the operation on my Dumore drill press. I was able to drill several holes into a cold rolled steel bar 1/4 of an inch deep with no drill breakage. The Dumore series 16 drill press sells for about $900.00 new and the Albrecht 15J0 chuck sells for $265.00 new. If you can find a used one at a good price get it.
        As a side note, check out the micro drill press made by a company called National Jet. They make a drill press that can easily drill a hole through a human hair. Their machine can drill holes as small as 1/10,000 of an inch and costs over $10,000.00 dollars.
        david

arutha
        Participant

Hi Harold,
          the most important thing with any drill press is that it runs true. I dont know about the situation in the US but in the UK most of them seem to be chinese made and then rebadged by whoever sells them. The best way to get a good one is get to a store and check out the one you are interested in. Take a gauge with you so you can check the runout once it has a drill bit in it (obviously make sure it is a good drill bit as I have bought new sets in the past with a few bent bits :() The chinese drill presses can be good if you get a good one but their quality control on theses machines seems to be a little hit and miss at the moment.
          I have not heard many good reports on the new proxxon tools but others might have different experiences?
          Paul.

david pierce
          Participant

Harold,
            Before getting a drill press, or any other machine, first decide what you want the machine to do. A small bench top drill press should be good for general clock size holes but will not work well for large drill bits and will not work at all (the drill bits will break off in the holes) for tiny (#60 – #80 and smaller) drill bits. This will greatly affect the cost of the machine. The Dumore I mentioned in the previous post is designed and built for very tiny drill bits and is unsuitable for larger sizes. If most of your drilling will be in the 1/16th to 3/8ths diameter range you are in luck. There are a number of bench top drill presses that are made for drilling holes in this size range that cost around $100.00. Check with Harbor Freight as they have several models in this size and price range. Make sure that whatever drill press you buy the shaft that holds the drill chuck has a standard Jacobs taper.
            For drill presses designed to drill tiny holes (sensative drill presses), I looked at the selection on Ebay. The ones that stand out are a Dumore that is up for bid, a Jet for $175.00 and a Hamilton for $199.95. The Dumore and the Jet are both high precision industrial quality machines. The Hamilton looks like a good machine from the picture but I have never owned one so I do not know for sure.
            david

harold g
            Participant

Thanks for all the input.As a newbie the main problem is usually money,and this is a big factor in my decision at this time.I’ve seen a Dumore drill coming up on Ebay real soon and they range from crazy good to about $500. on average.They seem to price out at about $1,000 new.So your saying its best to physically look one of these over rather than take a chance on site unseen over the internet? If I’m able to purchase one for a realy good price can they be calibrated and if so at a cost that pencils out the difference from a new one?

harold g
              Participant

David,I just sent a reply but I think it went by by.So to answer your question,I would use the drill for smaller work that would be for wrist watches,pocket watches and travel clocks right now.Later I could buy a drill more suitable for clock work.I did look at the same drills that you mentioned in your response.If you guys think that they would be a resonable risk to take I will go after one of those then.I want to thank you for researching those for me it is much appreciated.Also want to thank Arutha for takeing the time to help me out as well.

david pierce
                Participant

Harold,
                  The Jet is an incredible machine and for $175.00 I don’t think you can do better. I believe these sell for around $1800.00 new but I cannot remember as it has been many years since I looked it up. I looks like it is in the size range for your parts and if I were in your situation I would buy it immediately. Once it is sold another one may not come up at that price for many years. The worst case scenerio for this machine is if was used for drilling EDM carbon in an injection mold shop, it will be covered with carbon dust. This can be cleaned off and if necessary, the bearings can be replaced. Don’t worry, the bearings are probably fine and if not can be replaced at a fairly reasonable cost. I have done this many times on machinery. I do not think you can go wrong at this price.
                  david

arutha
                  Participant

Hi Harold.
                    I would go with davids suggestion on this one, i didnt realise you would be wanting it for such small work. The type of type of drill press I was talking about might not be suitable for the type of work you will be doing. Re-pivoting an arbor is much easier in a watchmakers lathe. I cant remember do you have a watchmakers lathe? If not then why dont you check out the lathes from sincere on e-bay as you can buy the fitting from them to turn the lathe into a micro drill press, obviously more expensive.
                    Just an idea.
                    Paul.

tmac1956
                    Participant

All:

Regarding a general work drill press…

I have the option of buying either a Craftsman 15″ or a Jet 15″ drill press and I could really use some guidance. Here are the general specifications and prices:

Craftsman ($359.99):
                      Product Description:
                      Take your DIY woodworking projects to the next level with the Craftsman 15” Laser Drill Press. Cutting holes in steel, aluminum, wood, plastics and more has never been easier than with the Craftsman 15″ Laser Drill Press. Smooth turning at high speed and high torque spindle settings, this drill press moves fluidly from project to project helping you get more done with laser precision on every job. So whether you’re kicking up saw dust, cutting slots for a mortise-and-tenon frame, twisting out metal shavings while drilling bolt holes or giving that carving a super smooth finish with a sanding drum, you’ll always get long-lasting and accurate operation. Perfect as a bench top or temporary jobsite accessory, this drill press is designed for sharp consistent results.

Made with a rigid frame and positioned on a sturdy steel post, the Craftsman 15” Laser Drill Press uses a powerful 3/4 HP motor to spin anywhere between 240 and 3470 revolutions per minute, so it can power through metal and rip through wood with speed and accuracy. And featuring a fast swapping depth adjustment along with both X and Y axis pin point positioning, it delivers the finesse that precision machining requires. A solid addition to any bench, this tool is adjustable, adaptable and built to last.

•Solid steel and cast iron construction
                      •Rugged heavy duty construction for vibration free operation
                      •3/4 HP motor
                      •16 spindle speeds 240 to 3,470 RPM, 5/8 in. chuck
                      •Spindle travel 3.23 in.
                      •Round cast iron table 11.42 in. diameter
                      •Laser guide and LED work light
                      •Heavy-duty cast iron base measure 18.11 in. x 11.02 in.
                      •Includes 5/8 in. chuck key and allen wrenches
                      •Warranty: 1-year, 90-day guarantee

Jet: ($579.00
                      Product Description:
                      JET 354401. Features: Cast iron head. Large quill allows greater accuracy. Head casting features a permanently lubricated ball bearing spindle assembly, using four heavy duty ball bearings in an enclosed quill for longer life. Table tilts 45 degrees. Large ground steel column diameter for maximum head and table support. Hinged metal belt and pulley cover. Accurate depth stop displays inch/mm and has a quick set bolt fast. 5/8-in Drill chuck and arbor.

Features
                      •Cast iron head
                      •Large quill allows greater accuracy
                      •Head casting features a permanently lubricated ball bearing spindle assembly, using four heavy duty ball bearings in an enclosed quill for longer life
                      •Table tilts 45 degrees
                      •Large ground steel column diameter for maximum head and table support
                      •Hinged metal belt and pulley cover
                      •Accurate depth stop displays inch/mm and has a quick set bolt fast
                      •5/8-in Drill chuck and arbor

It looks as thought the quality of the Jet is better, but it doesn’t appear to have the laser positioning system.

Additionally…
                      Would there be any benefit in buying a 3-way drill press vise for either of these?

Thanks!
                      tmac

david pierce
                      Participant

Tmac,
                        If there is a Harbor Freight close to your area check them out. They carry a fairly extensive line of decent presses in a variety of sizes. A drill press needs to have enough power and the ability to run at the proper speeds to do the jobs you want it to do. A good chuck is a major issue and you need to make sure the chuck that comes with the drill press is a good quality chuck. Make sure the spindle has a STANDARD Jacobs taper so you can upgrade the chuck if necessary. Do not be impressed with whistles and bells. A drill press should be simple and functional.
                        david

tmac1956
                        Participant

@david pierce wrote:

Tmac,
                          If there is a Harbor Freight close to your area check them out. They carry a fairly extensive line of decent presses in a variety of sizes. A drill press needs to have enough power and the ability to run at the proper speeds to do the jobs you want it to do. A good chuck is a major issue and you need to make sure the chuck that comes with the drill press is a good quality chuck. Make sure the spindle has a STANDARD Jacobs taper so you can upgrade the chuck if necessary. Do not be impressed with whistles and bells. A drill press should be simple and functional.
                          david

david:
                          This sounds like a very needed part. Does this one have the Jacobs taper?

Drill chuck and arbor: 0.62″.-Motor phase: 1 PH.-Motor voltage: 115.-Number of spindle speeds: 16 RPM.-Spindle taper: 2 meter.

Thanks!
                          tmac

harold g
                          Participant

David I went and pulled the trigger on the Jet drill for $175.00.So thank you for all your help with that.I’m really exited to be able to continue with the repair work on this clock.This is to Arutha I do have a Peerless 8MM lathe so I could take some of your expertise on that aspect to this repair.I have to get going but wanted to let you know about the drill.Thanks again

tmac1956
                            Participant

Does a Universal Cross Slide Drill Press Vise provide any real value? I don’t want to spend the money if its not something I’ll never use in horology.
                              Thanks!
                              tmac

willofiam

Hey guys, maybe I am doing it all wrong, BUT in any case I have used a drill press very little in clock repair, I find the 2 machines I use most are the bushing machine and the watchmakers lathe. Just thought I would throw a wrench in the discussion, WIlliam

harold g
                                Participant

this is to Willofiam.does the drill press come in handy when you make shop tools or jigs for your repairs or can the lathe be set up for drilling those parts as well.I keep running into the problem of coming to a screeching halt on almost all my projects mostly from lack of proper tools,parts or both.And I was reading the posts and a drill press seems to be pretty good tool when you need it.I snapped off a piece of stock in the little die set you buy with the taps for $20.00 I thought I could drill that out with this drill.Thanks for your input all info is better than no info in my book.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.