Home Forums NEW!!! The CLOCKMAKERS Forum – Designing, Building & Parts Fabrication Building a Grasshopper Escapement Skeleton Clock

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 69 total)
  • Author
    bernie weishapl
    Participant

Very nice William and looks like excellent work. Will be watching the progress.

willofiam

Hey Bernie, I was wondering where you were….hope everything is good with you and yours…
        I made the next part out of order, just me thinking again 🙄 It is the great wheel for the fusee along with the fusee ratchet, click and spring. I decided to make the ratchet wheel first, that way I could turn the boss for it and fit the ratchet hole to the boss, might not make sense at this time, thats juts me…No cutter making here, I happened to have one on hand, a multi tooth 60 degree cutter. In photo # 2 notice the little pip I left when I faced the piece, helped in lining up the cutter to center. This too is offset 6 degrees for that positive locking action a ratchet needs, then set the dividing head to 30 divisions and WHALLA. Later I make the click and click spring, for now this is drilled and reamed to 7/16″.

willofiam

How do everyone. lets see if I can help explain how to find the offset for radial rake and or tooth cutter offset for things like ratchet wheels or an escape wheel ect…This is a simplified way of doing it and adequate for making cutters or ratchet wheels. say we need the 6 degree offset and we are using a 1″ diameter brass blank for our wheel or ratchet.
          first find the circumference.
          Multiply pi (approximately 3.14) and the diameter of blank to get the circumference…..3.14 (pi)x 1″ = 3.14″
          We want 6 degrees….that is 6 degrees out of 360 degrees, or 6 divided by 360…..6 ~ 360 = .0166
          now take our circumference times .0166 or 3.14 x .0166 = .0523″
          move the cutter from center .0523″ to get an approximate 6 degree offset

thats pretty close for these small angles and what we have going on here.

another example;
          a 1.75″ diameter blank and we want 8 degrees offset
          1.75″ x 3.14 = 5.495 (circumference)
          8~360 = .022
          5.495″ x .022 = .122″ move the cutter .122″ from center of work piece.

If anyone notices a mistake with what I did please let me know right away so we can correct it, or if you have another way that is easy to understand please put it up, Thanks

its time
          Participant

William
            Just stop to catch up on things. Your build is looking very good. A beautiful clock when done and it will not be long now. Keep up the fantastic work.
            Nelson

willofiam

Hey Nelson, hope all is well.
              Here I will just show some photos of the great wheel, fusee ratchet, click and click spring. In the book he went with a brass clickspring, I decided to make mine out of steel giving it my own little twist, really…instead of the thin edge of the spring contacting the click I put a twist in the steel before hardening and tempering so that the larger flat edge would be making contact, most likely over thinking it all 🙄 Notice the square nose tool bit, relief was ground on both sides and underneath, this worked good as I could cut all surfaces without changing the cutter. Easing up to the diameter for the ratchet wheel boss worked good for me, checking the fit often with light cuts.

willofiam

willofiam

willofiam

Drill and ream a proper size hole, scribe the lines to the steel, cut out by hand and file to a nice shape. In the 3rd picture you might wonder what I am up to and why in the world take a picture of a horizontal belt sander….well…I had a idea 😯 . Since I dont have a surface grinder…yet…and I needed to reduce the thickness of this piece a bit. I used a piece of wood, drilled a flat bottom hole with a forstner bit just small enough to have to press in the click. This will hold the click flat and secure while sanding the thickness. Works great…

willofiam

Looking for some approval of the thickness reduction technique I sought out my audience for their input. Now these 2 coonhounds of mine, Jed and EllyMay, are pretty good pups. They will sit in the shop and watch my every move, telling jokes to each other about how goofy humans are….each gave me 2 wags of a tail for approval….actually they were just wanting a treat….again… 🙄
                      Jed approves the smell!!!!
                      EllyMay approves the taste!!!!

willofiam

Now that the dogs have given their approval of the click I can now do the finish work. The click spring is made out of O-1 tool steel, curved…twisted…shaped….hardened…tempered…WHALLA

its time
                        Participant

Will
                          You have made it look too easy, beautiful build. Can not wait to see it alive, tick-tock.
                          Good luck
                          Nelson

stevefitzwater
                          Participant

Very interesting lil project William, I will be up your way in March for a couple days, I am going to try and work in a visit, if I can get it worked in, I will give you a warning call first..

willofiam

Nelson…thanks for the uplifting comment….really…I think I make it as difficult as possible 🙄
                              Steve, would be nice to see yah, hope everything is well with you and yours.

jim1228
                              Participant

William,
                                Outstanding job on the clock build. I will be putting in my request for mine.
                                Jim

willofiam

That sounds good Jim, it will cost you double :D

O.K. now we move on to making the fusee barrel. A 2 1/4″diameter chunk of C360 will do. First drilling and reaming a hole to the proper size for a good fit to O-1 tool steel the proper diameter, face off and drill centers. Using red high strength thread locker notice the machinist clamp on the arbor. This was a nice aid for pre-measureing and using as a stop while quickly slipping it all together. Too much time spent finding the right spot and you can end up with it locked in the wrong area so being able to work quickly with this thread locking stuff is critical.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 69 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.