Home Forums General Discussion Forum Albrecht Keyless Chuck Disassembly & Service

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 31 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    chris mabbott
    Participant

Prior to sliding the jaws back in place, I use a little general hydraulic oil, mixed with the grease left on my brush to prevent it running away.. To lubricate the jaw sliding area… and also the threads for the hood..

chris mabbott
      Participant

Jaws are in and the hood is in place, but do not fully tighten the hood until after you have tested the chuck action…

This is after my initial hand test..

chris mabbott
        Participant

The first test went good, it spins nice and smooth, I can actually spin it by hand and it continues when I remove my hand for about one turn :D

Now I apply a little lithium grease to the arbor shank, install it and tighten up the hood with a soft strap wrench, not too tight, just to nip it into place..

That’s it, this chuck is ready for work and should not require any further service for at least 2 yrs, that is, if I don’t squirt any utility spray down the pipe and mess it up..

According to Albrecht, the manufacturer, any lubrication, oil, grease, spray etc that hits the spindle threads, prevents this type of keyless chuck from tightening on the tool, thus making it ineffective. This is the reason that after a good spraying, these chucks do not work, so the operator attempts to compensate by over tightening by the use of a pipe wrench. This is why you see so many, like this one, with torn up hoods..

I’ve learned a couple of things from this enjoyable task, hopefully it will also be useful to others :)

Viewing 3 posts - 31 through 33 (of 33 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.