Home Forums General Discussion Forum Watchrepair. Where do I find help?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    randy
    Participant

Hey Dan.
      Always glad to help.

Some folks use baby food or other small jars in their ultrasonic cleaners for watch parts.

You could also just put some in a bowl..and then carefully clean the backplate /balance assy. by hand.

Clock cleaner may clean well enough initially, but you would want to make sure that no residue is left on the hairspring, so I would rinse it using lighter fluid, or One-Dip ( preferred ). Then carefully dry it with a small blower.

You can use toothpicks..but shave them into fine points with a sharp knife. When I didn’t have pegwood, I used the cocktail ( round -hardwood ) picks as they didn’t leave debris behind.

Have fun !

RANDY

disciple_dan
      Participant

Hello, everybody. I hope you are well.
        So, I’m getting ready to put my Scotty in the US. The hairspring is still attached to the balance wheel and plate.
        So you say I put the unit in a glass of suitable size with cleaning fluid and then put the glass in the US with a fluid of any sort in it. Do I need to secure the balance wheel somehow to prevent it from moving too much?
        I have some onedip that I’ll use on the hairspring before I put it all back together.
        Does that sound like a good plan?

randy
        Participant

Dan,
          I would just use the One Dip in a small bowl and gently agitate it by hand. You could also use a soft art brush to softly remove surface dirt, etc.
          You won’t need to let it soak much at all. The One Dip is pretty strong.

I would also try to keep from letting the HS “hang” very long as you are cleaning it. Lots of risk with older- tired hairsprings if they get stretched too far.

I would be careful not to do anything that could distort that spring,.so for me, I would not want to put it into an Ultrasonic bath.

But that’s just me !!!!

Good luck..let us know how it’s going ….

Randy

disciple_dan
          Participant

Randy, I did it! My first watch was a success. I just got it back together about 45 min. ago. When I got it, it wasn’t running and it wouldn’t wind. It’s running now and It does wind but still needs work. Actually I had forgotten about the winding issue. I didn’t see anything when I had it apart that caused me to remember. I did get it to wind though.
            It runs fast of course as it really needed a new mainspring. I ended up removing the hairspring and balance from the plate to clean it and it was very difficult to get back in. I think I may have twisted it just a little bit right before it goes through the regulator but I think the main problem is that it’s a 65-year-old watch with a worn-out spring.
            Anyway, it was a great experience and it dispelled many of the fears I had.
            You have helped me tremendously also, Randy. Your comments and advice gave me the confidence to move forward and in the right direction. Thanks again, Have a great weekend, Danny

randy
            Participant

Hey Dan…that’s great !!!!

Sorry for the late reply..I’ve been of doing other projects lately.

Keep going..you will only get better at this !!

Best regards….

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.