Home Forums General Discussion Forum Watch Timing

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    arutha
    Participant

David, I have no way of checking the spring vibration and the balance is the cheap stamped out type. I think I will look at the pins as Chris suggests but I will double check the hairspring first just to make sure I dont have a touching coil.
      Will take a look on monday and report back.
      Thanks for the help and suggestions :)
      Paul.

david pierce
      Participant

Paul,
        If you put the watch on a timing machine and the dots are scattered all over the screen, as opposed to a straight line, it probably means you have a magnetism problem. It looks like you ruled out oil and dirt as a cause but the timing machine will show a scattered pattern in both cases. When you pull the balance wheel out of the watch and look at the bottom side of the wheel there should be some cuts into the rim. This is because the wheel has been dynamically balanced and the cuts are the metal that was removed to put the wheel in balance at the factory. In my view this produces a better working product than the old static poising process with balance screws. The modern wheels don’t look as good as the old wheels with the balance and meridian screws, but a lot of thought and engineering went into the solid wheels.
        david

chris mabbott
        Participant

David you are absolutely correct about the magnetism, although I’m not sure that would be the case with Pauls watch as it is of the anti-magnetic breed, so it should have one of the elinvar/invar alloyed balance springs. Also, with it being Swiss made and marked Antimagnetic, it would have to meet the requirements of the Deutsches Institut für Normung, so that would mean that the majority of the components would have to resist magnetic fields, especially the balance, escape wheel and pallets etc they would be alloyed material.. Or so they have us believe 😆

arutha
          Participant

Thanks, for the further thoughts on this :)
            David, I also don’t have a timing machine but I do have the Microset on its way after a bargain purchase on evil bay. When it arrives I will put the watch on and see what happens.
            Paul.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.