Home Forums General Discussion Forum Waltham second hand

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    digitaltripper
    Participant

Hello all,
      First, thanks to Randy for his response to Radium hands. Left them as I found them.

I am working on a Waltham A13A 20 jewel aircraft clock. Hands came off but second hand is very tight. I am afraid to just pull on it as it is so tight. Has anyone worked on one of these? Does the hand just pull of or is it screwed or??

Jim

Bob Tascione

Hi Jim,
        If I recall correctly the sweep second hand is just a tight press fit to help prevent slippage when fly back function is used. I think I have some info on that in a book or Horological Times mag somewhere around here. I’ll try to dig it up for you.

Bob

randy
        Participant

Jim.
          I looked at a bunch of these on line,..along with variants.

They all “appear” to be press fit as Bob says…I’m sure his research will verify.

Here’s a shot of one with the hands removed..looks like that second hand press fits to a shaft that has a rectangular shape, and that makes sense as then it wouldn’t break loose when it was reset ( flyback ).
          https://picclick.com/Waltham-A-13A-1-20-Jewels-WWII-USAF-8-Days-123073510812.html#&gid=1&pid=1

Also..I saw another link that stated the hands came in various coatings. some luminous, some just painted white….so now, I’m not sure you actually have radium hands on this one….

Just food for thought !
          Best

Randy

digitaltripper
          Participant

Thank you Bob. Any info you have is appricated ! No the hands on this one are not radium. The hands on the previous Wittnaure clock are Radium as told by my Geiger counter.

Jim

Bob Tascione

You bet Jim,
              Looks like we’re both logged in right now. Yes from what I’m finding they are all press fit.
              Quick question, does your clock have 3 or 4 hands?
              Bob

digitaltripper
              Participant

4 hands, and the second ( stopwatch hand ) is on there tight. I’ll try to upload son pictures…hang on if you can…brb

Jim

Bob Tascione

Ok. Some pics will be great. Thanks
                  I’ll be here.
                  Bob

digitaltripper
                  Participant

Here are some pictures

digitaltripper
                    Participant

This clock has a broken balance staff too. Checked eBay but did not find the staff.

Also asked Waltham clock and they are not helpful at all.

I have some staffs that I can look and see if I have one that matches. Ialso have a lathe so I could make if needed but I would like just to be able to put it in and be done.

If anyone knows where I may purchase a staff from that would be great.

Jim

Bob Tascione

Perfect Jim, those pics help a bunch.
                        I think but may be wrong here that the rectangular seat that Randy mentioned is for the hand that’s placed under the seconds hands ie: the third hand up from the dial. In any case I’m pretty sure the hand you are having trouble with is friction fit onto a round shaft. But…I’m guessing here more than anything and Randy may be correct about that. Either way we both appear to agree that it would be friction fit.
                        We will know the true config. after you get them off so please let us know how it goes.

Thanks for posting those pics and good luck Jim,
                        Bob

Bob Tascione

Ok, I’ll check on the staff for you and will let you know what I find out. I would be surprised if you couldn’t find one somewhere though. Got to be some around somewhere since these clocks were in high production in their day.

Bob

digitaltripper
                          Participant

Ok so I removed the hairspring roller jewel etc and found that the hub is blued which indicates, as far as I know, that the staff is a friction fit. Here is a picture:

Bob Tascione

Yes Jim that’s definitely a Waltham friction staff. I’ll have to try and cross ref. it when tomorrow when I can access my balance staff charts.

Bob

digitaltripper
                              Participant

Thanks for your help Bob…BTH the hand is friction fit and I got it removed. If you have a bestfit reference (I have Bestfit III Encyclopedia part 1swiss and Hamilton) I have a box full of bestfit staffs if that helps but no way to tell what # to use…

Thank you again….talk to you later

Jim

Bob Tascione

Hi Jim,
                                  Yes I have Bestfit as well as some Waltham guides and staff charts. Problem is that I fumigated my shop today and don’t want to go in until tomorrow morning. :) We live just a feet from the Pacific ocean and get lot’s of moisture in the air which translates into ‘TERRIBLE TERMITES’ so this is an annual event for me. I’ll be able to look the staff up first thing in the morning.
                                  Hey just wondering, what type of hole is in the second hand? Is it round or was it a broached rectangle?

Bob

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.