Home Forums General Discussion Forum Waltham Model 1883 issues

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    stevefitzwater
    Participant

Thanks Randy, but I already clean and re-assembled it and placed in with the other movements I am waiting for tools,

Right now I am working on a group of Waltham 6/0 Ruby movements, it looks like 3 or more movements were dis-assembled and tossed into one tin, so I have sorted them (as best as possible), cleaned, and started re-assembling one, it appears some pars are missing, one barrel bridge has a cracked jewel, so I will get one movement out of it for now. Once I figured out the winding mechanics, it has gone pretty well. Now I am working sorting the gears.. I know all are different based on wear and since they are 10 yrs apart, there is some difference in the them, so I am placing one set in at a time, checking for end shake, and I found the best fit… now I am waiting on a mainspring. The remaining parts go back into the waiting on tools.. LOL

randy
      Participant

I like those older Walthams.
        They are quite robust I think.
        I have a Sapphire movement that runs just wonderfully.

Take care Steve

RB

stevefitzwater
        Participant

Yeah, I like them, I have a nice several cases I have picked up for these, I would like to complete the set, Sapphire and Diamond, the Sapphires are out there, when I am caught up on the backlog, I will pick one up, but I have not seen of the Diamond version of the Gem Set….

Been looking at some of my movements, and I am about to start on the 678 movement, this is the one smaller then a dime.. it will test my hand and vision abilities, but I have a great dial and case for it, so it will be a fun test…

and as always, thanks for the advice!

stevefitzwater
          Participant

Ok, update on this movement, since I made the trip up to Williams last Sunday to pick up some good STUFF as my wife called it, one of those STUFFS was a microscope, and I have been going through my movements that I am waiting for parts or tools on, and came to this one…

I need to get an adapter for my DSLR to take pics on the microscope, but the center of the jewel chipped out, on the lower jewel, the upper appears ok, but I am going to replace it as well, the balance staff on the lower pivot looks like a dog chewed on it.. LOL.

After seeing these issues, I again used my loops to inspect them and I did not see the damage clearly, and if I did not know it was there, well I would of passed called it good… nothing like a microscope and a good light source…

So adding upper and lower balance jewels, a new balance staff to the parts order list.. I just made a large order of parts from OF…

chris mabbott
            Participant

Steve, we often tend to ignore that irritating buzzing, whining sound that seems to flutter around our ears, but damn it, if we, men, would only listen to it…. HEY our wives are right, it is stuff 😆

If you think the pivots looked chewed, please don’t check out your fingers under the scope, you’ll be having nightmares if you see all the creatures that live on our bodies, some things are best left unseen :?

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.