Home Forums General Discussion Forum “The Herschede project” our new old family clock

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 61 total)
  • Author
    chris mabbott
    Participant

I’m loving this thread William and you are giving me some great ideas, I may even venture into clocks, you’ve inspired me :D

I hope you’ll post a video of this running when all is complete. Fantastic..

Chris

jim1228
      Participant

Hey William,
        Super awesome buddy!
        Jim

mahlon
        Participant

Beautiful work William. I hope to be able to do that on the lathe some day. I am glad that you pictured your parting tool. I was going to ask someone here if my was messed up. I didn’t realize that the cutting edge didn’t run square with the material. I bought my lathe 8 or 9 months ago and just tried it out this evening. It really is fun, but I am going to have a lot of practice 😯 Mahlon

Bob Tascione

Wow Really good demo William!
            Thanks!
            Bob

willofiam

<span style=”font-size:150%”>Here is a few more pictures of the movement</span>

willofiam

<span style=”font-size:150%”>Here is how the knot was tied for the weight cables</span>

ewinrow
                Participant

Looking good William, maybe one day I’ll be in the big leagues with you guy’s. I wish you very we’ll on your project. So far looks like your really enjoying it ;) . Have a ball and keep posting your progress. Good job.

arutha
                  Participant

That looks to be coming on great William, it gets frustrating at times because you want to work on it but customers keep bringing in more work. When is the next installment coming?
                    Paul.

willofiam

Hey guys, thank you for the comments.
                      Paul, coming soon to a theater near you….
                      Chris, I find clock repair as exciting as watch repair, 2 different worlds but very similar, I enjoy the change from working on a clock to a watch, keeps me thinkin 😯 so when are we going to see your first clock project?
                      Hey Ed, keep on keepin on…I started 2 years ago, tons of hours of study, research and hands on but I still dont have my big boy pants on….
                      and probably never will :D
                      Mahlon, wont take you much time and you will easily surpass my abilities. practice, experiment, play, create, enjoy, try, imagine and have fun…. OH, and ask Bob and David lots of questions
                      Jim….your super awesome :geek:
                      Bob, as always……its your fault… :D

gerene
                      Participant

Really nice project William. Looking forward to see the rest!

Jan

willofiam

<span style=”font-size:150%”>Some progress on disassemble, cleaning and polishing</span>

willofiam

david pierce
                            Participant

William,
                              Your machine work looks excellent and you have come up with some extremely innovative solutions. Would the piece you turned in your drill press also fit in your Atlas lathe?
                              There was a famous English woodworker who died in the 1990s named Jim Kingshot. If you ever get a chance to get his woodworking videos (he made four) by all means watch them. There is one in particular on using molding planes that starts off with him showing a grandfather clock he made completely with hand saws and hand planes. You have to see it to believe it.
                              david

willofiam

Hey David, I think using the lathe would have been safer, I was thinking of using MDF (medium density fiberboard) and cutting out caps or inserts with a hole saw, I could have then used a threaded rod and either “capped” each end of the weight shell or “inserted” the mdf, with a center hole in the rod for the tailstock and a 3 jaw or 4 jaw chuck this would have worked great in the lathe. Several other ways I had thought of also, kind of how I operate to get ideas, once I get it in my head I have to disprove, prove, or improve the method, I am kind of goofy that way. William

willofiam

<span style=”font-size:150%”>More shots of the cleaning, polishing, assembly.</span>

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 61 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.