Home Forums General Discussion Forum older Dutch Wall Clock that Dings

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    mactorg
    Participant

thanks Guys… I will get it cleaned.. I was told when I got this clock that it was a Dutch clock, can you tell by the pic if it is a Dutch clock?? and there are three holes on the top I have an idea what should go in them but haven’t found anything that would go in them. Do you have any idea’s on where I can look for the missing pieces?? Thanks Mactorg

arutha
      Participant

that is a Dutch Wall clock and the holes are probably for small wood finials –

mactorg
        Participant

I seen one on eBay that is just like mine but it has a patriot on the iron and a mermaid painted on the wood and they say it maybe from the 1800’s and call it a FRISIAN STOELKLOK clock. They want 285.00 for it on eBay.. I tried to look up Frisian Stoelklok but no results.. Theirs is an older clock cause there is no case for the movement it is all open inside the body of the clock, the pic was dark couldn’t see to well but the gears are made out of wood or steel not brass. Thanks for you help.. mactorg..
          P.S. this clock was in with the other Dutch clocks on eBay.. Also do you guys have any idea on where I could find the finals for the top of my clock?

gerene
          Participant

As far as I can see it is a Dutch clock and probably a “Friese Stoelklok”. The movement is rather recent I believe and therefore I think this is a 20th century clock made in the style of a “Friese stoelklok”. These clocks were popular in Holland. You can find parts here http://www.klokonderdelen.nl/frieseklokonderdelen.php. Yoo might have problems with the translation, but you could try contacting them directly. I would be able to translate too if you would like that. Dutch is my mothertongue. Friesland where these clocks are made is the most northern province of the Netherlands.
            Try typing “friese stoelklok” in google and you will find a lot of pictures.

Jan

Bob Tascione

Hey Jan,
              I was just about to email you this morning to let you know about this thread! Figured you would jump in there with some good info. :) Glad you saw the post.
              Adios and congrats on a nice World Cup football game yesterday! I’m assuming you were supporting your motherland team. I was rooting for Mexico since I live here but you guys pulled it off beautifully at the end. Congratulations!
              Bob

mactorg
              Participant

Thank You Jan… It helps a lot.. Mactorg

rpbell
                Participant

@willofiam wrote:

…I thought I had heard of a type of clock that would strike 5 min before the top of the hour, then strike the hour also, could be I am having bad dreams though (my wife say I talk in my sleep about clocks)… William

Now this is really weird, Here I am, an acknowledged “newbie,” who wouldn’t know an escapement wheel from a second hand, but I remember my grandfather (Bradford Tennessee, d. 1963) had (if I remember correctly) a wall clock in the front room that struck once at 5 minutes before the top of each hour, and then struck once on the hour (just one bong, no matter what the time, even at night). I always thought that’s what it was supposed to do. He had another clock on a table in the corner of another room, so I may have clocks confused.

This has got me wondering, with whom in my family and where on Earth have those clocks landed? Haven’t thought of them in at least 40-45 years.

rpb
                  San Bernardino

gerene
                  Participant

@Bob Tascione wrote:

Hey Jan,
                    I was just about to email you this morning to let you know about this thread! Figured you would jump in there with some good info. :) Glad you saw the post.
                    Adios and congrats on a nice World Cup football game yesterday! I’m assuming you were supporting your motherland team. I was rooting for Mexico since I live here but you guys pulled it off beautifully at the end. Congratulations!
                    Bob

Thanks Bob for the comment on the football (socker) game. I am actually supporting Belgium more than the Netherlands since I am a Belgian, but I do support Holland as well since my children live there. I myself live only 30 km from the border with the Netherlands. As you might know the northern part of Belgium speaks Dutch, same language as spoken in the Netherlands.
                    Belgium plays the US today…

Jan

Bob Tascione

Hi Jan,
                      Sorry about that. Shows how little I know about the European continent. I was not aware that Northern Belgium spoke Dutch!
                      In any case in good faith I can not wish you luck in today’s game and truly mean it as you are playing the U.S. We are rivals on this one! Although, there is a very good chance that I will be rooting for Belgium after today’s game. :D
                      I am sure we both will be glued to the TV today.
                      Whoever come’s through as victor I hope it is an exciting game!
                      Enjoy!
                      Bob

Bob Tascione

Congratulations Jan!
                        What an excellent game. All points made in extra time! Your team is incredible!
                        Ok, I have some crying to do now :) .

Bob

gerene
                        Participant

Hello Bob, it was really an exciting game. Socker is hughe here in Europe, so Belgium was really going crazy yesterday night even if it was already after midnight for us. I live in the countryside, so there it was relativily calm. The US also has an excellent team and made it hard for Belgium. Now looking forward towards the next games of Holland and Belgium.

Jan

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.