Home Forums General Discussion Forum older Dutch Wall Clock that Dings

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    mactorg
    Participant

Hi I have an older Dutch wall clock and I was wondering if it is normal for it to ding once five minutes before every hour? It works great except for the one ding before the hour. Thanks Mactorg

bernie weishapl
      Participant

Does the clock strike just the hour or does it strike the hour and half hour strike? If it is a older clock and just strikes the half and the hour then the arm that gets tripped by the center arbor can be adjusted to get it to strike on the hour. If it is also suppose to strike on the half hour is it? Most of my clocks I have them strike right at 1 minute till the hour. What it sounds like is it is striking the half hour strike at five minutes before the hour and then striking the hour normally so yes adjustments will be needed because that isn’t right.

Need more info on what is happening throughout the hour.

willofiam

Hey Guys, I thought I had heard of a type of clock that would strike 5 min before the top of the hour, then strike the hour also, could be I am having bad dreams though (my wife say I talk in my sleep about clocks). Is that what is happening? Would be neat to see a photo of the movement if your able. William

mactorg
          Participant

Hi … It strikes once on the half hour too.. The clock has been hanging on a store wall for 10 years without running and don’t know how long before that. I will get a picture of the movement and put it on here. I will look at the Arbor a little more closer when i have the movement out..
            Thanks
            Mactorg

bernie weishapl
            Participant

Did a little research last night and William could very well be right. I have only seen one dutch clock out in this part of the country and it was a half hour/hour strike. Be interesting to see pictures.

arutha
              Participant

ftp://atmosman.com/pdf/striking.pdf
                This might be helpful, it has most of the different striking patterns that have been used but I can’t find any info on a pre hour warning, I wonder if the clock has been set up incorrectly and it is striking on the warn?
                This is quite common when someone does not know how to set up the wheels when putting the movement back together. If you look at the movement you will see in the strike train a wheel with a steel star attached to it that lifts a little lever which in turn makes the hammer rise and fall. This wheel should be set up so the little lever sits between two spikes of the star, if it has been set up badly the little lever will be resting on the tip of a star spike so as the strike goes into warn it allows the hammer to just trip over the spike and thus register one strike around 5 minutes before the hour. I could however be completely wrong! :)
                Paul.

mactorg
                Participant

No Paul it was on the tip of the star spike so I moved the star just enough to let the hammer lever rest in the valley of the star. Now it don’t strike 5 mins before the hour.. I got pictures of the movement and clock hanging on the wall..

mactorg
                  Participant

here is the pic. of the movement..

mactorg
                    Participant

here is another one..

bernie weishapl
                      Participant

Looks to me to be a normal hour and half hour strike. Definitely needs to be disassembled and cleaned. That would be my first order and then stick it on a test stand to watch it trip the hour and 1/2 hr. Can’t see the whole front of the movement but could be a simple adjustment. A picture of the full front of the movement and resize it down some would help.

mactorg
                        Participant

Here is a smaller pic..

mactorg
                          Participant

another smaller one

mactorg
                            Participant

another one..

arutha
                              Participant

Glad I could help but as Bernie says, it could do with a strip and clean as it is gummy and dirty around the pivot holes, not a good sign.
                                Paul.

bernie weishapl
                                Participant

I think you got it. I still would give it a good overhaul because as dirty as the pivots are all it will do is to continue to wear. Simple fix. You did well.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.