Home Forums General Discussion Forum Newbe advice on a lathe…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    clockman1509
    Participant

Hi Dave it looks as though the mandrel has a screw thread like a collet. there is no means of knocking it out as you can see right through from the back of the draw bar. there is not enough of the mandrel to grip onto or try to turn or unsrcew. I have followed all your instructions down to the letter. I have taken some photo’s if you have an email address I will send them to you so you can see the problem. thanks for the help so far. sorry to be a pain but as I say i am just starting out and I don’t have any experience.
      thanks
      Alan

david pierce
      Participant

Alan,
        Is it possible to post your pictures on this forum. There is a chance that someone else has seen this type of arbor and spindle conviguration before. If possible try and photograph the spindle hole from both ends and the sides. If the spindle and arbor are one unit then how did the previous owner get the collets in and out? If the spindle and arbor are two separate pieces (and I still think they are) you may have to take the spindle to a machine shop with a hydraulic press and the ability to make some fixturing. But, before that, see if you can get your photos posted on this forum.
        david

clockman1509
        Participant

Thanks for the advice. I have taken photo’s with the chuck on and off. the mandrel is shown clearly stuck in the headstock. I will do a general post on the forum and see what advise I get. thanks for all your advise. I will let you know what happens.
          thanks
          Alan

clockman1509
          Participant

Hi david, I have posted photo’s on the forum. have you any further advise.
            many thanks
            Alan

david pierce
            Participant

Alan,
              Yes, it looks like you did not remove the drawtube. The drawtube provides the clamping pressure to hold the collets and arbor in the nose of the spindle.
              david

clockman1509
              Participant

Hi David, I thought I had followed your instructions, I have no other means of knowing if I am right or wrong , I have no reference literature or help from anyone in the UK. so I am just following your help.I have never used a lathe. I bought Bobs course to learn how to repair my own collection. I am trying to follow advice on tooling but as I say I am a total novice. I am sorry to labour the point. I have posted some more photo’s, which were not included with the other. can you offer further advice maybe with a small hand drawing.
                I would be grateful.
                Alan

arutha
                Participant

Alan, where in the UK are you?

clockman1509
                  Participant

Good evening Arutha. I live in Witheridge North Devon. My nearest town is Tiverton about 15 miles away. I am about halfway between Dartmoor and Exmoor. Quite out in the sticks really. I have tried to get help through the BHI to no avail,the nearest Colledge is in Birmingham the West Midlands about 250 miles. they wont help unless I join the BHI, even so I would have to travel there.
                    Thanks for your posts your help is much appreciated . I have sent a post to David but not had a reply.maybe he thinks I am a bit thick but I have never been near a lathe in my life so I am totally Lost.I think I have followed all his instructions and I have submitted more photo’s.
                    Thanks again for your post and I look forward to hearing from you.
                    Alan

david pierce
                    Participant

Alan,
                      Have you watched Bob’s LEARN TO TURN videos? If not, watch them before going any further. It has been awhile since I have seen them but I am sure that at some point you can see him tightening a collet with the drawtube. You MUST unscrew and remove this before going any further. It is the round looking thing at the back of the lathe with the dark round handwheel. Do not, I repeat, do not hammer or heat the spindle to try and remove the arbor. The drawtube assembly has standard threads and will unscrew in a counter clocwise direction.
                      david

clockman1509
                      Participant

Hi Dave this has been the problem. When I rotate the drawtube The stuck arbour rotates it is as though the drawbar is seized in some way. I followed all your instructions but the drawbar will not come out of the headstock. As Arutha has mentioned I wonder if somone has glued the arbour in. It is so annoying not be to be able to withdraw the drawbar as you have instructed. I have not put exsessive pressure on the drawbar or spindle for fear of doing more damage. Have you any other advise that you could offer please.
                        many thanks
                        Alan.

david pierce
                        Participant

Alan,
                          Go ahead and clamp the arbor with vice grips. If you destroy it you can buy another one. You will not be able to replace the spindle so be careful with it. It must have come loose a little or it would not have been able to rotate it in the spindle. Make sure you apply PENETRATING OIL which can be purchased at a hardware supply store.
                          david

clockman1509
                          Participant

Thanks Dave I will Try that and Let you know what happens.
                            Alan

clockman1509
                            Participant

Good evening David, I must thank you for all your help and advice, following your latest post. I have at last made progress.I picked up your post this morning, And it took nearly 5 hours of slowly -slowly but then success. I have completely stripped the Headstock and given it a clean. This took 4 hours it was totally clogged in dirty dried oil and filth. I have cleaned all Threads, Drawbar, and the Bearings with a scotch bright pad . It has all been oiled and refitted. I have posted Photo’s of the strip and refit. plus the offending Collet. The key way in the Collet had two gouges in it. that and the filth must have been the problem.I thank you once again for your help and advise, I hope I was in no way rude in my posts.
                              Kind regards
                              Alan

david pierce
                              Participant

Alan,
                                Let me know when you are ready to reassemble the headstock. You need to pick up a 3/16ths diameter O-Ring that is the same diameter as the existing belt. It will power the lathe much better than the heat together type of belt. Keep me informed.
                                david

clockman1509
                                Participant

Good evening David,I have just stripped down my Tailstock and given it a good clean. I have re-assembled it and tried to install a centre.The centre is tapered 26.82mm in length. It was in the original Boley accessory box and looks a genuine part not an operator made one. the Tail stock draw bar( if that is what it is called) will not accept the centre. I t only goes 6.68mm into the Drawbar. the hole in the draw bar is 11.41mm from the end of the draw bar. Is there a Collet in the draw bar which has been pushed down? When I try to look through the hole I can’t see through to the opposite hole. Does this mean that a new Tailstock Drawbar is needed.
                                  I look foward to your post.
                                  thanks
                                  Alan

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.