Home Forums General Discussion Forum New Spring Oiling/Greasing…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 31 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    maitai11
    Participant

Hi William :)

Thanks for everything. I was VERY surprised that I had winder barrel measurements of 15.1, then 15.5mm – and the next one down is 12.5mm. Unfortunately, (AND FORTUNATELY FOR ME!!!) the mainspring barrel is now on the base/main plate, as I had a bear of a time getting the wheels to love me back…so I think we’re going to have to “wonder” whether that 15.1mm attachment would’ve done the job, all the way down to the bottom of the barrel, so to speak :) My train is in place :)

Additionally, thanks for that GREAT advice on using the old one for practice…yes! Finally, something I don’t have to be “miniaturely careful” with :) Great advice, to be sure! Here are your pics:

See notes below each pic for explanation…

‘Tis true, I do not have a large set, by any stretch…OH – and, CHRIS – Let’s keep it clean;)

So, I can see Chris in my mind’s eye, wringing his hands, and doing the “Muaaahahahahahahaha” thing while he hovers over – with great delight – his Super Duper Bergeon All-You-Can-Wind set. **Sigh**…To be Chris, and broke (shed’s a tear :( )

William, what I was doing, since the barrel winder attachment I was using DID fit up to the bottom of that lip, was once I got it wound (without exploding the darn thing in my hands – spring everywhere – thanks Bernie:) ), I would take a razor blade and go through the notch to lever it out, to tease it into the bottom of the mainspring barrel – but I also like your idea of winding half-in – which I will now learn, since I have an old spring to practice on:) Of course, I’ll wear my safety glasses!!! :ugeek:

I WONDER – in ADDITION, I have the old spring where only the end broke off, maybe about half an inch. I wonder if I can practice with THAT ONE as well, and put an eye into the end of that thing where the arbor tang goes through to wind the spring? Can I maybe salvage it? Or, will even 1/2″ loss of spring make a big difference, and mess up the timing of a pocket watch?

In any case, thank you William, I appreciate all your help!

Best,

Tim :)

arutha
      Participant

Hi Tim,
        I have had this problem in the past and I now have 3 different winder sets and a couple of part sets, I can now cope with barrels from tiny ladies wrist watches up to Goliath pocket watches. Each set seems to have slightly different sizes. Just keep your eye on e-bay as good used sets do come up from time to time and dont be affraid to buy a set with maybe a size or two missing, you can get some very good bargains if you are not too fussy. The main issue when buying used it that the arbor hooks can be almost worn away but they can be replaced with a little practice.
        Paul.

namonllor1953
        Participant

Hey Guys,
          I’m not sure if I can help here but, I do have a machine shop ;) ;) , all I need are some measurement and a detailed photo. Just sayin’…

maitai11
          Participant

WOW REN, you’re really kind to make that kind of offer, and I WILL keep you on my machine shop short list – THANK YOU!!! :):):) For now, I think I’m OK as the spring is in the barrel, arbor and all – and under spring tension :) I might commission a balance tack an small machinists block if you’re up for it. My email (I hope this is OK to post) is [email protected] – anyone can contact me that way as well.

And thanks Paul! All good info, and you bet, I’ll be on the lookout :)

Best,

Tim :)

Viewing 4 posts - 31 through 34 (of 34 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.