Home Forums General Discussion Forum New Spring Oiling/Greasing…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    chris mabbott
    Participant

Hear ye, hear ye, break out the round table, I feel………………….A big discussion coming on ๐Ÿ˜†

maitai11
      Participant

See what I started? Call into Cas-Ker forthcoming… :)

maitai11
        Participant

Hokay Guys,

I just spoke with a Cas-Ker Customer Service Representative, who didn’t know much at all, but when I asked her, “Is there anyone who might be able to answer these questions?” she passed me onto a gentleman, and this is what he said, verbatim:

“That alloy mainspring you have has come straight from Switzerland, and there is no need to remove it from the ring, clean, or lubricate it. They are already pre-lubricated, and need no further service. You can just put it into the barrel, straight from the shipping/retaining ring…”

He did not, however, know what kind of lubrication, i.e. Teflon, grease, oil, etc. is used during the manufacturing and packaging of the springs.

I suppose that’s 21st century technology for you!

Chew on this one, Guys…

Best,

Tim :)

willofiam

Great info Tim, thanks for making that call. William

bernie weishapl
            Participant

Thanks Tim. Good info to know. But I think shall continue with the method I was taught. I have pretty much did what Chris said in his first post. I take them out of the retainer, check them for set, for size, clean and lube them. I also take and lube the bottom/sides of the barrel plus the cover. It worked for me for many years so don’t see a reason to change now.

gerene
              Participant

When it is a modern alloy spring I place it directly from the retainer ring into the barrel and then add a few drops of oil on the top side of the spring as well as on the bottom of the barrel. I know the latter is not absolutely necessary but I prefer to do it anyway.

Jan

chris mabbott
                Participant

The guy in the link uses this method because he has to justify spending $47,234 on his Bergeon mainspring winder set ๐Ÿ˜†

randy
                  Participant

We are definitely a conglomorate of experiences..and what makes us unique from other forums..is the lack of mudslinging. It’s great to be with others who can share without a pompous attitude. I know that has driven some of us from other groups.

Interesting thought Bob, about mixing the lubricants. I never gave much thought to what I was introducing to the existing oil. ( I know Chris,.shame on me !! ๐Ÿ˜ฏ ). I also smear a small amount of grease on the barrel base and the inside of the cap, on any of them that have small marks that indicate dragging.

Chris mein freund…you must slow down on the Bergeon bashing or I fear the Swiss uhrmacher fairies are going to visit you and put dents in your kopf mit tiny brass hammers…verstehen sie mich ?

I know..it chaps my hide as well..it’s like buying something marked “Harley Davidson”, and the price automatically goes up $100.

Take care everyone…and thanks for making that call Tim !

Best

Randolph the lesser….

maitai11
                    Participant

Hi Fella’s:

At William’s urging, herewith find enclosed photographs of said winder, barrel, and one hell of a poor marriage! Best, Tim :)

What do you guys think? Shouldn’t the barrel winding attachment bottom out in my mainspring barrel, versus just that one or two millimeter lip? I would hope so!!!

Best,

Tim :D

maitai11
                      Participant

Knights of the Round Table, Randy, haha. That’s what I get out of this forum. Healthy debate, no stupid ego’s, room and respect for folks who choose a different way than theirs, folks who are dead set against any other way but the way they do it – I think that’s called CONVICTION, and all of this with an easy, laid back, and inclusive environment…The guys here want to share their best, but there’s enough breathing room to take advice on an “Ala Carte” basis – and that’s pretty special :)

I’d say that’s a grand slam, wouldn’t you, Randy? :)

chris mabbott
                        Participant

@Randy wrote:

Chris mein freund…you must slow down on the Bergeon bashing or I fear the Swiss uhrmacher fairies are going to visit you and put dents in your kopf mit tiny brass hammers…verstehen sie mich ?
                          I know..it chaps my hide as well..it’s like buying something marked “Harley Davidson”, and the price automatically goes up $100…..

Randy meine Uhrmacher brรผder,

Oh no my friend, I have only love for our Swiss brethren and their extremely super fine products. When I hold a Bergeron tool in my hand, the sheer pleasure that runs through my arm, and into my lesser regions, is indescribable, one can only vaguely compare it to peacefully passing into our next phase of existence whilst we sleep, after enjoying our last, very tasty, dinner… Only to awaken form this toil of life and find Saint Peter himself waiting to greet us personally. Leading us directly to our new workstation in the big Bergeron factory in the sky….
                          To me, this is what a Bergeron tool represents as they are so perfect in finish, design, quality, feel and balance that SURELY, surely, they must have been made in heaven, unfortunately, it also reminds me of how bloody poor I am ๐Ÿ˜†

maitai11
                          Participant

Guys, please check my pics to see how the winder works…Thanks…Tim:)

bernie weishapl
                            Participant

Tim I always pick a barrel attachment for my winder that will fit inside the barrel and goes to the bottom of the barrel. I may be wrong but I am thinking if you just go in to the barrel cap lip to much of a chance for a accident. :mrgreen:

maitai11
                              Participant

Hi Bernie, thanks…

That’s just it, I don’t have a size below it that would fit – unless you’re talking like an 1/8 of an inch to spare all the way around. My winding set only has about 8 barrel attachments. It appears the problem I’m encountering is strictly related to not having the correct size winder attachment!

Thanks Bernie!

Tim :)

willofiam

Hey Tim, I think you want some room, and your right that you want it all the way into the barrel. I dont wind the mainspring all the way into the winder barrel, I leave the end of the mainspring on the outside of the winder barrel and then insert into the mainspring barrel (maybe I am wrong about that but I do not want to accidentally wind it up and take the end of the mainspring end off), making sure the T-end (if thats the type of end on the mainspring) goes into the hole in your barrel and push it in. I think your winder will work with the next size down,. For good practice in doing this use the old mainspring a few times to get the hang of it. If you want, please put up a shot of the next size down from what you have shown already. William

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.