Home Forums General Discussion Forum New Mill

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 80 total)
  • Author
    david pierce
    Participant

Tom,
      Mine does not do that. What size tool bit do you have in the holder?
      david

tmac1956
      Participant

david:

I have a set on 1/4″ square cutters that I bought from A2Z. I have a few 3/16″ square tools that came with my 3-way, but the set screws in the tool holder aren’t long enough to hold them, so I wind up having to put a shim under them, so I’m back to being a little high with them as well. I can’t set up any kind of under-cut the way it is now. Also, it’s an old metric cross slide and I have no way to zero it out, but it’s ok other than that. It’s a German made slide.

The 3-way is setting hard onto the ways without any kind of shoe.

Thanks!
        Tom

david pierce
        Participant

Tom,
          I did not and would not machine the A2Z toolholder to address this issue. A shim (small key stock from Harbor Freight assortment) can be placed OVER the tool bit or longer set screws can be purchased. On the larger tool bit the cutting edge can be ground down when it is sharpened and then adjusted up with the toolholder.
          david

tmac1956
          Participant

david:

I give that a try.

Again, Thanks!
            Tom

tmac1956
            Participant

David:

When I’m tramming my drill mill, it’s obvious how to adjust the bed in X axis (assuming I have the correct term here). However, how do I adjust the other axis? Do I loosen the back bolt a little?

More inane questions…

Thanks!
              Tom

david pierce
              Participant

Tom,
                Since the column pivots in a rotational direction around the Y axis and is parallel to the X axis you should only have to tram it in in that direction . It should be OK in the other axis as machined and set at the factory. Check and see what you have. It should be within a reasonable tolerance. I am not aware of any easy way to adjust it to the other axis but I have not looked either. Since the column can be moved and set to machine at various angles, it will have to be reset with a dial indicator to bring it back to vertical in relation to the bed.
                david

tmac1956
                Participant

David:

What sort of attachment(s) do I need on my mill to use a slitting saw? I bought the 13 set R8 collets.

Thanks!
                  Tom

david pierce
                  Participant

Tom,
                    Grizzly has an R8 slitting saw arbor Item number H5621 listed at $16.75. I am sure that other suppliers carry a similar item.
                    david

tmac1956
                    Participant

David:

One more lame question. The handle that came with my vise often tends to slip out of my hand and bang into the mill cross feed handle. I’m worried that it will break the mill handle so… it there something like a small cranking hande that I can get?

Thanks!
                      Tom

david pierce
                      Participant

Tom,
                        The only thing that comes to mind would be a socket wrench and extension bar.
                        david

Bob Tascione

Hi Tom and David,
                          I’m not sure what size vise you have or if this is what you’re looking for but you can check Enco for their Gilbralter speed handles. There’s a double and single speed (just an extra hole) and they are pretty reasonable.

Good luck,
                          Bob

tmac1956
                          Participant

Yes – The speed handle would work but mine is a 4″ vise with a 9/16″ hex. I can’t seem to find one that small in this type. If I can’t find one then I might be able to create a shim for it. This one very reasonable.

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PARTPG=INLMKD&PMPXNO=28666367&PMAKA=337-9316

Thanks guys.,
                            Tom

tmac1956
                            Participant

David:

How much trouble would it be to install the DRO’s like this guy has done on the mill drill – minus the motor install?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Cy-zF6R6cI

Digital Read outs from Grizzly.com: X and Z T23012 – 12″
                              Digital Scale with Remote Readout $35.00 Y axis T21577 – 0-6″
                              Digital Fractional Horizontal $22.95

He say’s the parts are less than $100.

Thanks,
                              Tom

tmac1956
                              Participant

David:

Sad news…. I’ve got to send back the mill and get a replacement. The spindle wobble has gotten so bad that when I drill a hole, it tends to ream out the top of the hole before it finds the center which it sometimes doesn’t – even with a pilot hole. I called tech support hoping I could do the adjustment and he told me the thing is mis-aligned somehow internally from the factory.

So, I’ll be building a plywood box this weeked. Oh well… at least it happened while it was under warranty. :)

Thanks!
                                Tom

david pierce
                                Participant

Tom,
                                  I never in my entire life heard of that happening to a milling machine. I have never even seen that happen on a drill press.
                                  What exactly is wobbeling. If you take the tooling out of the spindle can you shake it from side to side with hand pressure?
                                  Using your magnetic stand and dial indicator, put the probe end of the dial indicator in the spindle hole and rotate the spindle by hand. There should be almost no movement of the dial. Make the same check on the outside of the spindle. Check for any up and down movement. Put an R8 collet into the spindle and put an end mill or metal dowel pin into the collet hole and tighten the collet. See if it still wobbles with the dial indicator. If that is ok then try it with the drill chuck. Does it wobble with the tooling in the spindle but not wobble if the tooling is not in the spindle? Let me know the results.
                                  david

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 80 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.