Home Forums General Discussion Forum My first pocket watch repair!!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    peggy332014
    Participant

Okay! Mike says he’s got some of that! Thanks Tom! :D

mahlon
      Participant

Hi Peggy, if I can get an address from you, I will send you some watch tools that I got with a bunch of alarm clock parts. I know there are several movement holders and hand pullers. I’m not sure what the other stuff is, as I have no desire to work on watches :) Mahlon

peggy332014
        Participant

Wow! Ok! Thank you so much Brother!!

Peggy Walle
          104449 S 4769 Rd
          Muldrow, OK 74948-5460

mahlon
          Participant

Peggy, do a search here on the forum( help to identify watch tools) I posted some time ago. I posted a pic. of the tools, and some of the members identified them. :D Mahlon

peggy332014
            Participant

I found the post and pic! Looks good enough to me to get started with! I’ll take them off your hands! YAY! :D

randy
              Participant

Peggy ,..sorry I was missing for awhile.
                I’m with Tom in using the PB blaster…great stuff.
                Looking at the photos, Í think that I might be seeing a small “cup” to the left of the area where the stem enters the movement. I may be the type of spring release where all you have to do is insert say a toothpick or other small device and gently push down while giving some tension on the stem. If that isn’t it, the screw to the right of the photo may be the one.
                Try looking into the plates from the edge, with some magnification, to see if you can see what is engaging it as well. You may or may not have luck doing that, but I thought I would mention it.

peggy332014
                Participant

Thank you, Randy! I will check that out! By the way, nice having you back! :D

peggy332014
                  Participant

Randy! It worked! It was a little push spring to the left of the stem! :D :D YAY! Thank you for your help!

randy
                    Participant

It’s usually something simple ;)

Glad you found it !!!

Randy

peggy332014
                      Participant

:D :D :D 💡

peggy332014
                        Participant

Hi everybody!

Well, I finally decided to take the plunge and take my Geneva watch apart! Well, now I’m wondering if I should have or not! 😆 😆 🙄 How do the parts go back in? Which direction–right-side up, or up-side down? :?

Actually, I’ll get it figured out. I’m waiting for my tool order to arrive tomorrow and I’ll have a magnifying lamp and other goodies, and then I can see what happens!

willofiam

Hey Peggy, @peggy332014 wrote:

Which direction–right-side up, or up-side down?

not much help here but I think if you put the parts in upside down then it may run backwards 😆 , kind of like Pauls watch 😆 just having fun with you guys, I think I sprayed too much weed killer today and feeling a bit goofy 😯 Hop al iz wel…William

peggy332014
                            Participant

Hi William!

😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆

The other day, I joined another forum as well. Watch Repair Talk… and one guy said that this particular watch has to be put together much like a regular clock movement because of it being solid plates…. all the gears together and having to line up the pivots! 🙄 🙄

So, I’ve got me a project ahead of me! 😆 😆

mahlon
                              Participant

Peggy, I will try to send those watch tools today. I am sorry that I have not already sent them. Our city planners decided to tare out the street in front of the post office, so getting close enough to walk in and mail it has been a problem. For me to walk a block and a half, I would have to be chased by a mean dog and be sure it was going to bite :D Mahlon

chris mabbott
                                Participant

Hey Peggy,

I’m away and looking at this on a mobile so I can’t see the pics too good, but if you check out some of the posts on the forum you can see some disassembled PWs and how the gears line up.

I know I have a bad memory and sometimes I wait months for parts, so I always take step by step pics, they also help if there is an issue after reassembly, I can go back and triple check without pulling everything apart.

Full plates can be a challenge but on American PWs, I usually put them back together top plate first because its easier to line up the pallet fork in its recess.

It’s very, very tricky and delicate work to sandwich the two plates together, keep the tiny gears from wobbling and falling out, while trying to line up the micro pivots in the jewel holes without snapping them off LOL
                                  Once you find a technique, it’s easy….er ;-)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.