Home Forums General Discussion Forum My first pocket watch repair!!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    peggy332014
    Participant

Hi everyone!

In my other post “My Box of Watches”, I mentioned that I had acquired a Geneva Train pocket watch for $5.

Well, here it is up close! I’m opening this thread for the taking apart, repairing, cleaning, and re-assembly of this watch.

I got as far as figuring how to get the back off, and the crystal off after several hours of trying to figure out how to open the front. :? :? Turns out only the crystal comes off, so the retaining ring in the back comes out and the movement is still on the winding stem.

How do I get it out? :?: :?: 🙄 🙄 🙄 HELP!! ;) ;)

peggy332014
      Participant

I noticed something ‘unique’ with this dial face. All the Geneva watch images I’ve found on the internet, none of them have the #’s 4, 5, 6, and 7 upside down going around the dial

There was one watch image I found that has the flower design in the center, but not the numbers upside down.

Oh, I did forget to say earlier that this is an antimagnetic style

peggy332014
        Participant

I just had something very interesting happen! ❗ ❗ ❗

i was going ahead and seeing about removing the hands from the dial. I took the hands off, and had turned the watch over, since I had the back open, and I was going to try and loosen a screw on the hold down plate to the mainspring,….. and the balance wheel started working!

This pocket watch had not ran when I got it, and I’ve even carefully checked to see if the balance wheel would even turn, and it’d turn but quickly stop after a few oscillations. It appeared that maybe the mainspring had been wound too tight and was broke.

I fully expected to take the watch apart, clean it, and put on a new mainspring. Since it started ticking, I just put the hands back on, and it’s keeping perfect time!

WOW!! WOW!! WOW!!

peggy332014
          Participant

I am going to wait to dismantle the pocket watch at this point, and see if it stays on time or if it gains or loses. I am hoping to get a watch repair tool set from Ebay next week before I take it apart to clean it. I need some tools that I’m not able to buy yet, such as the staffing tool and watch lathe in order to do the right job.

randy
            Participant

Glad to hear that you have a piece that is working.
              That tells me all that this one might need is a good clean, oil and adjust.
              From what I can see in the photos, this movement may come out simply by loosening the screw that holds the stem in place.
              What tools are you looking for ??

Best,

Randy

peggy332014
              Participant

Hi Randy!

Ebay has some selections of watchmaker tool kits that have the basic tools like a few tweezers, the watch holder, the stem puller, things like that.
                http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ajustable-Watch-Back-Case-Opener-Remover-Vice-Holder-Movement-Repair-Kit-Tools-M-/230993048533?&_trksid=p2056016.l4276

These tools are not as one kit, but I can buy 5 or more tools from the seller and get a 5% discount

This particular pocket watch is suspended on the winding stem, and there is no way to open the front side, other than just removing the crystal. I’ve thought about just start taking some of the screws out to see if I could release the stem. Funny thing is, the screws are too tight, and when I started to try and loosen one screw, it started running and is keeping perfect time!

I’ll try and take some closer up pics for ya tomorrow, and see if you can make any suggestions.

randy
                Participant

Sounds good Peggy,
                  My guess is that there is one screw, just to the left or right of where the stem enters the body of the movement that releases the stem,..but a clearer picture would help !

Best,
                  Randy

peggy332014
                  Participant

Randy , I think these pics will help ya! I happen to have a magnifying glass that has two magnifications, so I used the smaller one that has the greater optics and I use my phone camera. Hope this helps! :D

bernie weishapl
                    Participant

Peggy I agree with Randy about the one screw holding it in. As far as a tool kit goes this is the one like I bought a few years ago and have used it quite a bit. http://www.ebay.com/itm/21-PCS-Watch-Repair-Tool-Kit-Case-Opener-Spring-Bar-Tool-Hand-Remover-w-Case-/380843384068?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58ac08dd04

It has a lot of tools and watch hand remover which I use all the time. Also has a loupe I use alot also. Just a thought. Here is another one that would work to and they throw in a dust blower. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Watch-Repair-Tool-Kit-Case-Opener-Link-Remover-Spring-Bar-Tool-Hand-Remover-/221292511503?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33860fc10f

peggy332014
                      Participant

Thank You Bernie! I was looking at those! Got them in my cart!

bernie weishapl
                        Participant

You are welcome Peggy. I use these tools more than I thought after thinking about it. I think you will be happy with them and hopefully will be able to add a few tools as you go. Let us know how it goes on your watch.

peggy332014
                          Participant

Thanks! Bernie! I sure will! As soon as I get my watch tools, I’ll give progressive updates! :D

In order to start dis-assembly on this watch, I am going to have to have the case holder. There’s 3 screws that are so tight, I’ll need the holder to hold it in place in order to carefully loosen them, and the right size screwdriver 🙄 😆 .

tmac1956
                            Participant

Peggy:

Here’s a little tip that might help you with screws. When backing out a watch screw, many times you’ll think the screw is out and try to remove it with tweezers only to find that the screw isn’t backed out competely. The trick is to keep backing out the screw until you hear it click. At that point the screw can be easily removed. This sounds intuitive, but it took me a while (and a few choice explitives) to figure it out.

Anyway, I hope this saves you a little heartburn.

Great work!
                              Tom

peggy332014
                              Participant

Hi Tom!

Yup, I’m aware of that one. These screws aren’t even wanting to come loose. Whoever had it before, or worked on it, tightened them way too tight. I can get one screw loose and out, the others need a little convincing without damaging anything. I’ll probably have hubby help with a little extra ‘umph’! His fingers are stronger than mine, and he can help tap it loose if necessary while I’m holding the watch. :D

They may even come out once I have the watch in a case holder, and I can get a better grip on the screw driver without having to hold the watch at the same time! 8-)

tmac1956
                                Participant

Peggy:

If you put a drop of PB Blaster on the screw(s) and let it set, it will probably come out easier.

Good luck!
                                  Tom

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.