Home Forums General Discussion Forum Moving a Grandfather Clock

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    peggy332014
    Participant

Food in a man’s stomach will do it every time!!!! 😆 😆 😆 😆

bernie weishapl
      Participant

😆 😆 😆 Yes Peggy it works wonders. :mrgreen:

peggy332014
        Participant

😆 😆 😆 :mrgreen:

maitai11
          Participant

I hate to break the whole foodie thread – and, I’m really not, because I love dreaming about food ever since I started a diet in December – but Bernie, brother, I gots ta know (if you’re willing to say so…)

How much would you charge for the SERVICE CALL that a 200 mile round trip would take you to the edges of the outer limits? Very, very curious, indeed. If you don’t mind telling, that is… :/

Best,

Tim :)

chris mabbott
            Participant

Tim, I know modesty and professional ethics will not permit Bernie to answer this question, but he did tell me, and seeing as he didn’t swear me to secrecy, I will impart this info on you…

For a 100 mile call out – 2 cups of tea + 3 homemade muffins with farm fresh vanilla ice cream.

For a 200 mile call out – the same as above, but lunch is included and some form of fresh, homemade cake/pie to take home is also par for the course.

Sorry Bernie, I hate to give away trade secrets but… :D

bernie weishapl
              Participant

😆 😆 😆 Chris, Chris, Chris ya had to do it didn’t ya buddy. :mrgreen: Actually for the 100 mile trip it is 2 cups of tea and a farm fresh piece of pie and farm fresh whipped cream. :mrgreen:

Tim I charge a $1 a mile and $75. I do not do any work in the home period unless it is to just add some oil. 95% of the time the grandfather has to come back to the shop for repairs because most times it has either never been serviced for 20 to 30 yrs or more or it has be 15 yrs or more since any service has been done. There are no clock repair shops within about 200 miles of me in any direction. I always tell them if they can get more calls for me I will divide the mileage amongst all. So generally I have 2 or more calls and generally a mantle clock or two also. I just delivered 5 back to Flagler, Colo. (110 miles one way) and the average repair bill was $460 and $66 of that being mileage. If it had been just the one it would have been around $650.

About 10 yrs ago my accountant told me that I needed to increase my mileage from .25 to at least .50 a mile then when gas started up to $2 or more a gallon she told me that I needed to go to $1 a mile or quit doing calls because I was losing money. She told me I was losing money on every call over 35 miles and if I continued that way I might as well close the doors. Out here in western Kansas the closest town it 32 miles away. Denver is 200 miles west and Salina, Ks is 240 miles east. I just went to Salina to pick up 3 clocks one of which is a Herschede 9 tubular chime clock. I quoted her $2500 for the 9 tube, her Herschede mantle $525, and a antique Ithaca calendar clock $650 hoping she would not want them fixed but guess what? She said come get them so I dropped my wife off to shop and I went and picked up the clocks. A week ago yesterday I picked up 3 grandfathers, a mantle clock and a cuckoo clock with about a 220 mile round trip. Al agreed to the charges before I ever left the house.

So that is the long and short of it Tim.

chris mabbott
                Participant

Hmm, Bernie, ya know I’ve been trying to get ya to hop over the pond for a visit here, just to give me some gentle training on clocks, but now with this new information, I’m not sure if it would be cheaper to pay mileage or to feed you 😆 😆

Not sure how much work we’d actually get done but..oh well, we would eat good 8-)

Like always happens, this original topic has gone horribly horribly awry, when and how did it change to food :?

bernie weishapl
                  Participant

Because hard work always leads to a good meal be it pie with whipped cream or lunch. 😆

mclark3617
                    Participant

Hey guys, I got the grandfather clock home and everything survived the move, now I want to clean it up real good before I put it back together. What would you recommend for cleaning the brass, and also the wood and glass?

bernie weishapl
                      Participant

Most of the brass is lacquer coated on the ones and so I just clean the brass and glass with glass cleaner. Then I will clean the wood with pledge woodcleaner/polish.

mclark3617
                        Participant

Thanks,, that’s very helpfull

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.