Home Forums General Discussion Forum Moving a Grandfather Clock

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    mclark3617
    Participant

OK I just got a good deal on a Sligh curio Grandfather clock. now I have to get it home. I want to make sure all my bases are covered

1, remove the pendulum
      2. wind up the weights all the way and secure the cables, then remove the weights and make sure they are labeled
      3. remove and secure all the Glass shelves

what I’m not sure about are the chime rods and the hammers. should they be secured somehow and is it ok to lay the clock down flat for transporting?

willofiam

Sounds like you have it covered. Just remember that anything flopping around is not good, I have hauled alot of clocks and chimes or gongs ect…making noise while driving makes me nervous but I have not had any issues. A piece of foam in the chime rod area lightly taped or something will help. I would actually take the movement out of the case (for a grandfather clock, vienna) and secure that in a box of its own, with mantle clocks and alot of wall clocks ect… it seems alright to leave as is as long as they are not going to tip over or slide around. IIf your planning on going 4 wheelin in mommas mini van then you may have 2 issues when you get home 😆

On a side note I use large plastic tubs with foam and mommas bath towels for movements weights ect..(dont tell her though ;) ). then I use a larger size gun case for the pendulums so as not to bend or break them. I usually bring out the gun case AFTER the owner has met me, I have had some funny reactions when walking up to a house with a gun case in hand 🙄 Hope this helps, William

bernie weishapl
        Participant

William pretty much gave you sound advice. For me it would depend on how far I was hauling the clock. Most times I pack them the same way I do if the customer was going to ship it. I do everything you mentioned but on the chime rods I put a piece of foam rubber inbetween the rods the tie with some light wire. On the hammers I do the same. I cut a piece of foam that will fit between the strike and chime hammers, then tie a thin/light wire around all the hammers. I put the pendulum in a gun case as William does but before I would wrap it in a large bath towel. The weights I wrap with bubble wrap. Been doing that for more years than I care to remember with no problems. I have two big old quilts that I bought at the second hand store that I wrap the clock case in then load.

peggy332014
          Participant

Hi fella’s! :D Good ideas! I will keep these in mind when I get to where I can do grandfather clocks. Awhile back I had a lady asking me if I could replace a glass in a grandfather clock she was wanting to buy. I told her I wasn’t set up for grandfather clocks yet. I can hardly wait to get my clock shop set up! I’ll be using a round turntable lift in my shop so that I can turn it as needed when I work on the large grandfather clocks.

bernie weishapl
            Participant

Peggy are you planning on bringing the whole clock in?? I only bring the movement, weights and pendulum. I have several test stands I built for testing them. Just curious. I do not want the responsibility of their case bringing it to the shop, in my shop and then taking it back.

peggy332014
              Participant

Bernie, I plan on building the kits from Klockit.. Mike will be doing woodwork so we are going to combine working the cabinets, the movements, and the stained glass for the glass.

For customer repairs, we will be getting a transit van large enough to bring the clocks into our shop. We’ve been doing alot of planning and will be building our custom shops as well. We have found an awesome place to get set up as well as building our custom home, too! 222 acres with lake!

peggy332014
                Participant

For what I see, I’d rather bring the whole clock to the shop, so I’m not having to dismount the movement at the customers home and inconvenience of having to bring the movement back, re-installing and running into snags for the testing. I plan on including insurance for their protection as well as ours. We are wanting to be a full service clock and watch shop for this area.

Our clocks will not be all that we will be doing. We have many other aspects of crafting and services.

bernie weishapl
                  Participant

Sounds like you have a plan. Like I said out here I do clock calls up to 100 miles one way. After doing this for 30 yrs I just found it easier to leave the case at the customers and bring in the insides. Takes me less time to put a movement in the case and setup than to have to bring the whole clock in to their home and set it up. The other thing that has lead me to doing it this way is I don’t have help with bringing the cabinets in and the 80 something little old ladies sure can’t help. 😆 So for me much easier and much faster just to bring in and deliver the insides. Good luck in getting all set up.

peggy332014
                    Participant

Hi Bernie! Ya, I can see it in your situation. Regardless, it is still having the inconvenience to the customer as far as having to put the clock back together whether just the movement or putting the whole clock back in it’s place and level. I don’t know how far out we’d be going as far as the large clocks. We know we will need proper equipment to move them anyway.. whether the ones we build and sell. We have even considered using some church youth to help and it would give them a “work experience” as well.

chris mabbott
                      Participant

@Bernie Weishapl wrote:

the 80 something little old ladies sure can’t help. 😆

That might be true Bernie, but I’m sure that they can whip up a mean cup of tea with a nice little chocolate biscuit 😆

bernie weishapl
                        Participant

Oh no Chris no chocolate but a cup of tea with a nice hot muffin with some sort of berry jelly on it all homemade. :mrgreen: Sometimes a homemade pie with a dip of ice cream. :P

mclark3617
                          Participant

is anybody else hungry now?

chris mabbott
                            Participant

Bernie buddy, regardless of your very sound and logical reasons for driving 100 miles to surgically remove the movement, I feel that your method is that of a sly old fox, and this muffin, homemade jelly deal is the true reason behind a nice cruise down the old highway 😆

Yep, I’m feeling a bit peckish for a nice muffin :D

peggy332014
                              Participant

You guys are too funny!! 😆 😆 😆 😆 🙄 :D :D

bernie weishapl
                                Participant

Oh yea Chris. I know each and every one of them. I especially like the oatmeal muffins that are homemade, warm, a little butter and some of that homemade jelly. :mrgreen: About August I like doing calls because sometimes I walk out with a nice cherry or apple, or strawberry/rhubarb pie to take home. :D ;)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.