Home Forums General Discussion Forum Motor Rebuild

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 62 total)
  • Author
    chris mabbott
    Participant

Next, remove the end cover bolts and gently tap the covers with a piece of hard wood, I use the small hammer handle, just enough to break the seal.

Then using a piece of wood over the end of the shaft for protection, give it a couple of taps and viola, it comes apart..

You can see how dirty it is inside and bits of insulation/dirt fall out. This is why I clean the shaft ends, as the bearings could be mounted in the end covers, or they could be a shrink fit onto the shaft.. So it’s better to have no obstructions, dirt, rust, high spots on the shaft as this will cause the bearing to seize.

chris mabbott
      Participant

All is going fine but then it stops moving 👿
        I tap it back the opposite way and see that it has picked something up, a piece of insulation paper, possibly from inside, So I’ll have to push it back in and remove it.

What in the heck is that brass thing? A spacer or retainer :?: :?:

chris mabbott
        Participant

The cover is off and the cooling fan is revealed, a good old metal blade, not a modern plastic one. Looks like it has been painted in non-conductive paint, or just paint. But NO BEARINGS :?: 😮

chris mabbott
          Participant

The same deal on the other end of the motor, same hardware including the same brass spacer..
            The rotor/shaft now slide out..

chris mabbott
            Participant

And out she plops, the rotor actually looks good, no rust or carbon flash residue, just a bit of lite grime that will brass wire wheel off. I use a dremmel fine brass wire wheel for this, then I will blow off any dust and wipe with a rag dipped in alcohol until clean.

So back to the lack of bearings, I realize now that this is one of the old style that uses a Bronze sleeve bearing instead of the commonly used ball or thrust bearings used today in almost all motors.

The issue I see here so far is that there are no oil ports in the housing cover, this type of bearing requires a few drops of oil every few months, depending on type of service. Due to the lack of wear and the complete absence of any signs of oil, I would say that this motor was used very rarely, if it wasn’t, these Bronze carriers would be toast, as would the housing in which they fit.

chris mabbott
              Participant

And out she plops, the rotor actually looks good, no rust or carbon flash residue, just a bit of lite grime that will brass wire wheel off. I use a dremmel fine brass wire wheel for this, then I will blow off any dust and wipe with a rag dipped in alcohol until clean.

So back to the lack of bearings, I realize now that this is one of the old style that uses a Bronze sleeve bearing instead of the commonly used ball or thrust bearings used today in almost all motors.

The issue I see here so far is that there are no oil ports in the housing cover, this type of bearing requires a few drops of oil every few months, depending on type of service. Due to the lack of wear and the complete absence of any signs of oil, I would say that this motor was used very rarely, if it wasn’t, these Bronze carriers would be toast, as would the housing in which they fit.

chris mabbott
                Participant

chris mabbott
                  Participant

Time to look at the wiring, so press out the brush holders, they will have to be cleaned, which makes it easier to check the stator coil connections. The wiring insulation looks ok but it has hardened around the connectors, I will re-wrap the harness with new insulator tape and figure out what to do with the connectors as these are very vintage clip on style. I probably wont be able to find a replacement nor new brush holders of this exact size, so a repair.

Lots of dirt and grime, from the 50’s :?

chris mabbott
                    Participant

Ill try to remove the fan so I can give is a proper cleaning and also the shaft is easier to work on and re-polish.
                      I don’t see a step on the shaft so I’ll take a quick note of the position. It seems tight and I don’t have a high enough puller to clear the blades, so if not I’ll leave it on..

To be continued…

david pierce
                      Participant

Chris,
                        McMaster-Carr sells world wide and, to the best of my knowledge, is the largest industrial supply house in the world. You should be able to get anything you need such as bushings, bearings, screws, tools, etc. Check them out on the internet.
                        david

gerene
                        Participant

David,

I had a look for McMaster-Carr and their inventory is really impressive. I just wonder what the cost of shipping, customs etc is. The end price of an item might be excessive when it arrives here in Europe. :(
                          Does anyone have any experience with ordering goods from McMaster-Carr and having them shipped to Europe?

Jan

chris mabbott
                          Participant

Hey guys,

I always thought that MC was the north pole (xmas wise) for adult boys and what a wonderful place to be stuck in. I’ve spent many hours going through their catalog and ordering supplies, Ahh sweet memories :D

Jan – Although I haven’t ordered anything from MC, I have had much experience with buying and receiving goods and getting ripped off by customs 👿

In downtown espana, the mafia, i mean customs, recently began adding shipping costs to increase the maximum amount allowed before duty, which was 60 euros, apparently in harmony it seemed, with USPS increasing their international shipping rates to extortionate levels. Just more control and money grabbing.

The funny thing was that I purchased an item a while ago from a seller on ebay who used the GSP, where taxes and duties are calculated at checkout, here’s the math…

Item price $48
                            International shipping $24
                            Duties & taxes at checkout $23

When the item arrived here, I was charged an additional 34 euros in taxes, duty and “administration fees” in fact those fees accounted for 17 euros.

When I complained and mentioned the ebay GSP to them, they had no idea what it was. Really, they’re right, since when do you pay duty in the country that you’re shipping FROM?

So my $48 item ended up costing me $142. Funny thing, it was 2 NOS mainsprings & a balance staff but because it was packed in a box 20 times larger than it needed…BOOM..

arutha
                            Participant

That is a disgrace, would you still have to pay that duty on a gift or If it was used, i.e. sent to me and then i sent it to you?

chris mabbott
                              Participant

Paul. They’ve got sellers convinced that this is the best and most “honest” way. That sellers have nothing to fear, nor face complaints due to a buyer receiving his goods from the US and then griping about paying duty.

So most sellers refuse to state that it’s a gift, ok fine, that I
                                Understand. I ask the sellers I buy from to state that it is USED or OLD which is not an exaggeration. Most comply with this request.

I
                                Now do not buy from sellers using the GSP even if it’s something really nice. So if everyone does this and their overseas business dies, maybe it will send a message, like the buy now option. eBay was always about finding a deal and bidding, now it has become a shopping mall for antiques and crap LOL

Funny thing is that the UK also began to charge duty on shipping cost from the US last year LOL

bernie weishapl
                                Participant

Looking good Chris. You could just turn your some bronze bushings and you could drill and put your own oil tubes in. :D

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 62 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.