Home Forums General Discussion Forum Missing Dial Screw…What Do I Do???

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    arutha
    Participant

Hi Tim,
      unless you have a scrap movement you can pinch a dial screw from you can take a bit of a gamble and buy a mix of watch screws from ebay or from parts suppliers. Its always handy to have an assortment of watch screws as these are my tweezers prefered projectiles :(
      Paul

p.s. this is the sort of assortment to look for.http://www.ebay.com/itm/LARGE-LOT-OF-ANTIQUE-POCKET-WATCH-MOVEMENT-SCREWS-PARTS-REPAIR-/381045953153?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58b81bd281

Dont buy Stainless steel screws!

bernie weishapl
      Participant

Tim I know he is not cheap but his dials are top notch. He does about any kind of dial including clocks. There is a gentleman in California I think that does it. I think he charges $250 to $600 per dial. I know a friend of mine in Omaha, Ne had him do a clock dial and it was $535. Generally for me I try to find another dial if I can but if it is a high dollar watch I will have the dial repaired. I had a Elgin BW Raymond 21j Grade 478 with a up/down indicator 7 yrs ago and the dial repair was $290. I bought the watch at a auction for $165. Cleaned, new mainspring, and oiled. Balance staff surprisingly was good. Had about $650 in with my time and sold it for $1200. Now would I spend that much on a Elgin 7j probably not. I don’t know of anyone else that does this type of repair but I am sure there is. The guy you e-mailed is the only one I have seen advertise in the NAWCC mart.

bernie weishapl
        Participant

Tim I know he is not cheap but his dials are top notch. He does about any kind of dial including clocks. There is a gentleman in California I think that does it. I think he charges $250 to $600 per dial. I know a friend of mine in Omaha, Ne had him do a clock dial and it was $535. Generally for me I try to find another dial if I can but if it is a high dollar watch I will have the dial repaired. I had a Elgin BW Raymond 21j Grade 478 with a up/down indicator 7 yrs ago and the dial repair was $290. I bought the watch at a auction for $165. Cleaned, new mainspring, and oiled. Balance staff surprisingly was good. Had about $650 in with my time and sold it for $1200. Now would I spend that much on a Elgin 7j probably not. I don’t know of anyone else that does this type of repair but I am sure there is. The guy you e-mailed is the only one I have seen advertise in the NAWCC mart.

bernie weishapl
          Participant

randy
            Participant

Tim,
              Call International Dial
              http://internationaldialco.com/Pages/Public/Default.aspx

I think that you’ll find they are closer to the price point you have in mind.
              I’ve used the in the past..pretty good work overall.

Best

Randy

randy
              Participant

Tim,
                Call International Dial

Best

Randy

randy
                Participant

Tim,
                  Call International Dial

Best

Randy

maitai11
                  Participant

Thank you, Paul, for that link…

I agree with everything you say, Bernie, it depends on the watch being worked on. I’ll check out Randy’s source, and maybe even just clean it myself and re-glue the chip.

Very good, fella’s, I appreciate the info.

Best,

Tim :)

maitai11
                    Participant

I agree with everything you say, Bernie, it depends on the watch being worked on. I’ll check out Randy’s source, and maybe even just clean it myself and re-glue the chip.

Best,

maitai11
                      Participant

Best,

bernie weishapl
                        Participant

Yes I made note of Randy’s and will check them out. If you find out prices let us know.

bernie weishapl
                          Participant

Yes I made note of Randy’s and will check them out. If you find out prices let us know.

bernie weishapl
                            Participant

maitai11
                              Participant

I sure will, Bernie, I’ll have to contact them, as they do not list prices on the site. Best, Tim

maitai11
                                Participant

I sure will, Bernie, I’ll have to contact them, as they do not list prices on the site. Best, Tim

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.