Home Forums General Discussion Forum Missing Dial Screw…What Do I Do???

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    maitai11
    Participant

Hi Guys,

Just plodding along with my Illinois 11 jewel, size 12. Thanks for everything to this point! Deep, deep learning on this side of the pond :)

So, I’m missing a dial screw, and would like to know what my options are (within reason/what is possible without a machine shop!)

If I pick up the correct diameter/thread screw, could I cut off the end, polish it true, and cut a slot – with a Dremel Tool?

Or, should I order “ONE” of these things…or a pocket watch screw (all types) assortment?

Oh – as an afterthought, Bernie (or whomever knows), regarding dial repair, where should I send it, how much does it usually cost? This one is cracked in **At LEAST** six places on the dial, including the seconds hand, as well as an approximately 1/8″ semi-triangular chip (which I have in my possession…) Thanks…

As always, thanks for your good help :)

Best,

Tim :)

bernie weishapl
      Participant

Here is a guy that is good. I haven’t had one repaired by him for some time (it was beautiful) but I have seen dials he has done and they are top notch. He comes highly recommended. He has some dials he shows the before and after if you scroll down on his first webpage. Anyway you can check out his website and maybe e-mail him to see what he charges. http://www.dialrepair.com/

bernie weishapl
        Participant

Here is a guy that is good. I haven’t had one repaired by him for some time (it was beautiful) but I have seen dials he has done and they are top notch. He comes highly recommended. He has some dials he shows the before and after if you scroll down on his first webpage. Anyway you can check out his website and maybe e-mail him to see what he charges. http://www.dialrepair.com/

bernie weishapl
          Participant

maitai11
            Participant

Thanks Bernie! Sending a note over to him now.

Best,

maitai11
              Participant

Best,

maitai11
                Participant

Best,

maitai11
                  Participant

WOW THAT GUY CHARGES $200 – $500!

I’m quite sure it’s “worth” the money, but I’m not so sure I’m ready to sink that much cash into a watch I bought for $45 bucks – but thank you, just the same, Bernie, I appreciate it quite a lot. I was thinking maybe I’d spend up to $40 bucks, but this process and those prices seem to be for folks who must have THAT PARTICULAR dial. I don’t doubt there are customers who want their heirlooms repaired, but I’m just not attached to the watch to sink that amount into it.

Thanks all the same, Bernie. I appreciate it.

What do you think about the dial screw situation?

Thanks,

Tim

maitai11
                    Participant

I’m quite sure it’s “worth” the money, but I’m not so sure I’m ready to sink that much cash into a watch I bought for $45 bucks – but thank you, just the same, Bernie, I appreciate it quite a lot. I was thinking maybe I’d spend up to $40 bucks, but this process and those prices seem to be for folks who must have THAT PARTICULAR dial. I don’t doubt there are customers who want their heirlooms repaired, but I’m just not attached to the watch to sink that amount into it.

Thanks,

Tim

maitai11
                      Participant

Thanks,

Tim

chris mabbott
                        Participant

I was going to say something but I thought…..NAAH, why spoil the fun 😆 besides, it’s a good heart condition checker 😆

I had a special dial repaired a few years ago, I think it was this chap, and back then it was not much cheaper, but a reputable shop does very nice work, you pay for what you get, and for this repair procedure, it’s a process, not simply applying makeup. Not for every dial indeed.

chris mabbott
                          Participant

I was going to say something but I thought…..NAAH, why spoil the fun 😆 besides, it’s a good heart condition checker 😆

I had a special dial repaired a few years ago, I think it was this chap, and back then it was not much cheaper, but a reputable shop does very nice work, you pay for what you get, and for this repair procedure, it’s a process, not simply applying makeup. Not for every dial indeed.

chris mabbott
                            Participant

arutha
                              Participant

Hi Tim,
                                unless you have a scrap movement you can pinch a dial screw from you can take a bit of a gamble and buy a mix of watch screws from ebay or from parts suppliers. Its always handy to have an assortment of watch screws as these are my tweezers prefered projectiles :(
                                Paul

p.s. this is the sort of assortment to look for.http://www.ebay.com/itm/LARGE-LOT-OF-ANTIQUE-POCKET-WATCH-MOVEMENT-SCREWS-PARTS-REPAIR-/381045953153?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58b81bd281

Dont buy Stainless steel screws!

arutha
                                Participant

Hi Tim,
                                  unless you have a scrap movement you can pinch a dial screw from you can take a bit of a gamble and buy a mix of watch screws from ebay or from parts suppliers. Its always handy to have an assortment of watch screws as these are my tweezers prefered projectiles :(
                                  Paul

p.s. this is the sort of assortment to look for.http://www.ebay.com/itm/LARGE-LOT-OF-ANTIQUE-POCKET-WATCH-MOVEMENT-SCREWS-PARTS-REPAIR-/381045953153?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58b81bd281

Dont buy Stainless steel screws!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.