• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    willofiam

There are many types and styles of click springs for our mechanical clocks. This particular one is for a Gustav Becker P-42 time and strike wall clock movement. Notice the previous repair on the left and the right one was pretty rough, though they both functioned, I found it enjoyable to remake both pieces to look as original as possible.

willofiam

I know I could have sourced a spring from a supplier but I found it a great learning experience to fabricate one myself, not only that but some styles you cannot find the style needed. Here is the original that is in rough shape. I used this one as a template

willofiam

A good way to hold my template to the steel

Traced out, rough cut and ready for filing or grinding to size and shape.

willofiam

Using the watchmakers lathe the small cutoff disk was perfect for grinding out the slot for the tab, and some other areas. I just used a paper towel to cover the headstock

willofiam

Final filing, using the top of the vise as a straight edge works well.

Finding where the screw hole goes I drilled those out. Mounted in the vise I used a very careful tapping with a hammer and large punch, the bend does not have to be a sharp angle but it does have to be in the right spot. What I mean is when it is sitting on the plate the spring will have a bit of clearance so it doesnt rub the plate.

willofiam

Before moving forward I checked the clearance of the spring and the tab and hole alignment.

Using a round nose pliers I bent the shape to be similar to the original. I say similar because the original was tweaked a bit out of shape.

A quick test of function before hardening.

willofiam

Wrapping in iron binding wire I wanted to make sure that when I heated it up it would not expand too far.

After polishing, heat treating, a careful test to see if the spring was in the right spot (so I didnt break them), tempered and ready for the movement.

willofiam

A test before working on the movement.

Looks alot nicer than before doesn’t it? The customer really like the fact that I did this for his clock.

namonllor1953
                    Participant

Sweeeet!!!
                      I love good craftsmanship!

Ren

jim1228
                      Participant

Great job on the click springs William, they look original. Also really like the step by step how to pics.

Jim

willofiam

Thank you Ren and Jim. Have fun, William

bernie weishapl
                          Participant

Click springs look great William. I have had to do a few of those that were jury-rigged in movements.

brianw
                            Participant

Thanks William, keep up the good work. Brian.

willofiam

Thanks Bernie and Brian, your comments are encouraging. Have a great day, William

gerene
                                Participant

Nicely done, thanks for the explanation!

Jan

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.