Home Forums General Discussion Forum Making a New Pin Wheel

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    willofiam

Hey Daryn, thank you for sharing, I am one of those currently working on cutting wheels and will be watching closely. @Daryn wrote:

notice the male center on the mandrel holding the wheel , this is used to center the gear cutter

That is a great idea, do you find a size of arbor that gets too small and flexible for cutting? Do you use sheet stock or round stock for blanks?, I am thinking it will be more efficient to use round stock. did you make and use a fly cutter? I am coming right over, if I start jogging and swimming right now I should be there in a month or so…William

david pierce
      Participant

I am always amazed at the clever solutions that you guys come up with. It gets the job done and in the end that is what counts. The part could also be machined on a milling machine if you have one. The holes could either be positioned with a rotary table or with some mathematics use the X,Y axis to position the cordinates.
        Example: 360/8=45 degrees for each hole. Measure across the pins and subtract one pin diameter to obtain the bolt hole circle diameter. Then D/2=R. Once the radius and angles are established the cordinates can be obtained by X=R x Cos (angle) and Y=R x Sin (angle). This is simply another way to accomplish the same task with different equipment; not necessarily a better way.
        david

daryn
        Participant

Hi David
          I do have a small milling machine and a rotary table, also a direct indexing dividing head , I sometimes use the mill for steel pinions if it’s something I can’t make on the pinion mill ,the method you suggestwould work well for the odd job there is no other way round, I like it ! The problem would be making sure backlash is eliminated before each “index” or slide movement, the big problem for me would be getting muddled up. I’m dyslexic so would struggle badly , it’s one of the reasons I prefer direct indexing over worm and wheel dividing heads,

Your suggested method does shoe the versatility of the mill/jig- borer, I wouldn’t be without it that’s for sure !
          Warm regards’
          Daryn

daryn
          Participant

Some more pics of the set-up I use –

daryn
            Participant

Hi William, in this instance it was a multi-tooth form relieved cutter but I do make and use fly cutters when needed
              As for stock , most often it’s sheet , I rough it out on the band saw , drill and mount on the mandrel, then turn to correct o/d then cut the teeth, the set up is pretty true but I usually hold on the wheel teeth with soft jaws and bore true before crossing out and final mounting, just to be sure,
              Sometimes I use bar stock , if I’m making ratchet wheels I cut the teeth on a fairly long bit of bar and part off a few spare to chuck in a drawer . . .
              Hope that helps ‘
              Daryn

chris mabbott
              Participant

Daryn You make it seem so simple, So why can’t I get it 😆

willofiam

Hey Daryn, yes that helps, I am probably putting to much thought into it all and making it as difficult as I possibly can 🙄 I am going to set aside a day each week for learning, making and practicing. have a fantastic day, William

daryn
                  Participant

Hi William,anything new always seems difficult at first ,I can never remember the equations for gear cutting so I’ve got them all written down,I don’t even try to remember them now,just go and look in my book,

I think machine set ups always look complicated in a photo, when it’s right in front of you it’s always easier to understand!
                    Daryn

arutha
                    Participant

I think some things just take a while to sink in, I have watched Daryn cut wheels a few times in the past couple of years and I am only now really understanding the whole process and why things are set up as they are. Its not a case of him being a bad teacher, its a case of him having a numpty student! 😯

daryn
                      Participant

When you’re asked to explain something you do fairly regularly it’s easy to skip vital things you just do automaticly,that’s why it’s always wise ti ask questions, even if you understand something generally always ask details, I’m sure I always miss out bits in my descriptions etc. :-S

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.