Making a New Pin Wheel

Home Forums General Discussion Forum Making a New Pin Wheel

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    daryn
    Participant
    • Topics Started: 2
    • Total Posts: 97

Text to follow!

daryn
    Participant

Someone decided to repair this English 8day longcase pin wheel by brazing it back together,unfortunately this softens the brass and that’s really not very good for wheel teeth , also they neglected to remove the flux so over time it’s corroded away , here’s a couple of pics of the set up I use for wheel cutting, the teeth and pin holes are all cut in one mounting so everything stays dead true, the lathes been modified quite a bit . . . Any questions welcome :-)

Bob Tascione
    • Topics Started: 38
    • Total Posts: 1559

Hey Daryn thanks for starting this EXCELLENT thread!
    I know it’s going to be a very helpful and popular one. Your setup is cool. Can you explain it a bit. From this angle it looks like you’ve clamped something like a tool post grinding unit (or something like that) onto an angle plate, running it from a modified overhead pulley setup…maybe salvaged from another unit? I love this type of applied creativity!
    Thanks again!
    Bob

ewinrow
    Participant
    • Topics Started: 26
    • Total Posts: 185

That’s some good work Daryn. Maybe one day I will be able to do as well. MAYBE, one day. 😮

daryn
    Participant

Hi chaps ,
    It’s a cheapy Asian lathe 7×12 , I’ve then replaced the headstock internal gears ( from plastic to steel) also replaced the angular contact bearings with high precision taper rollers , extended the cross slide travel and fitted more taper rollers on the feed screws , that and careful rebuilding has given me something very accurate for a fraction of the cost of a swiss machine
    To this I’ve added a a powered milling and drilling attachment, this provides the drive to a milling spindle mounted on a vertical slide mounted on the cross slide, division is by direct indexing of the lathe headstock,
    This will do from longcase greatwheels down to platform escape wheels

daryn
    Participant

The smallest I’ve done on it was the castle wheel from the winding work of a wristwatch , the wheel that has pinion leaves on the side and a ratchet cut on the end, that was a fiddle!

daryn
    Participant

Oh bob , the milling spindle that carries the small drill chuck takes no1 morse taper mandrels , it’s the same thing I use to cut the wheel teeth , just turned through 90degrees

mahlon
    Participant
    • Topics Started: 28
    • Total Posts: 215

Daryn, beautiful work, I can only dream of being able to do that some day. I am truly amazed by the work you people are able to do Mahlon

daryn
    Participant

Thankyou mahlon, kind words , but never say never !

daryn
    Participant

As a footnote , notice the male centre on the mandrel holding the wheel , this is used to centre the gear cutter, much easier than mucking about with microscopes or centering micrometers . . .

Bob Tascione

That’s Brilliant!
    Ok, I think I’ve got it now.
    So does that pulley column rotate from vertical to horizontal and anywhere in-between to allow for same plane belt alignment with the milling spindle when the spindle is rotated?
    Thanks!
    Bob

daryn
    Participant

Yep , that’s it bob , I’ve got three different length belts for different set ups , I’ve got another job come in that needs a hoop wheel making , I take a pic of the teeth being cut when I do it . . . he main collum that supports the milling attachments I filled with molten lead this dampens out most of the vibration

chris mabbott
    Participant
    • Topics Started: 119
    • Total Posts: 1525

Daryn I can only echo what the others say, beautiful job bro. When are you coming over to see me and teach me this stuff, why does Paul get all the gravy 😆

bernie weishapl
    Participant
    • Topics Started: 58
    • Total Posts: 1218

That is one nice looking setup and a beautiful job on the wheel.

Bob Tascione

Adding lead to dampen vibration is a great tip Daryn!
    A lot of members have an interest in wheel cutting so I bet this subject will be followed closely by many.
    Looking forward to any pics and text content you can add here.
    Gracias again!
    Bob

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
darynMaking a New Pin Wheel