Home Forums General Discussion Forum Lathe part

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    arutha
    Participant

Hi Brian,
      I am not sure what material these tailstock runners are made of, maybe David can tell us? As it is Christmas, if you want to send me some silver steel of at least the same internal diameter as your tailstock and a drawing of how you would like it I could turn it up for you if you dont have a larger lathe of your own.
      Paul.

david pierce
      Participant

Brian, Paul,
        About 10 minutes ago I cut off a 5″ length of 7mm drill rod and polished the scale off with some Scotch Brite and oil. I used my TAIG lathe with a 7mm ER-16 collet. With only a little polishing It fit perfectly into the hole in the tailstock. You can turn any type of runner you want this way including a runner to hold a drill chuck. If you want to harden the ends for a cup or point center, use the heat treating techniques that Bob shows in his videos. The drill rod was 7mm water hardening rod I bought from MSC.
        david

brianw
        Participant

Hi Paul/David,
          Thanks for taking the trouble to look into this for me.
          Paul. It’s really good of you to offer to help me like this. I don’t have a larger lathe. I can get hold of some 7mm drill rod as suggested by David and send it to you with a drawing.
          I’m in the UK as well, so if you could send me your address I can send it to you in the post.
          If you want to email me my email address is [email protected].
          I guess everywhere is shut for Christmas so can get back to you when I have the rod.
          Happy Christmas to you.
          Brian

arutha
          Participant

David – thanks for the advice :)
            Brian, I have emailed you my address, check your junk folder as you wont have me set up as a contact.
            Will get it turned around quite quickly so you shouldn’t be without a runner for long. The main issue is just going to be checking that internal diameter of your tailstock, the rest will be easy.
            Paul.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.