Home Forums General Discussion Forum Lathe part

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    brianw
    Participant

Hi All,
      I have a star watchmakers lathe but do not have the appropriate tail stock spindle with the tapered end for fitting attachments.
      Does anyone know where I could get one of these?
      Thanks, Brian

Bob Tascione

Welcome to the forum Brian!
        I do often see tailstocks for the D-bed lathes like Star, Lorch, Wolf Jahn up on ebay. I’m not up on what the dimensions are on the different types though. David Pierce is the forums goto guy when it comes to machines and more. He possibly has the same lathe in his vast collection of watchmakers lathes and may know where you can get your hands on that tailstock. Hopefully he’ll check in this morning and can help out. Is this an 8mm? Also is it at all possible to put a pic of it up here or locate a pic online that you can refer David to?

Bob

brianw
        Participant

Thanks Bob, I appreciate your speedy response.
          The lathe is 8mm and a picture of pretty much exactly what I have got can be found here:
          https://www.cousinsuk.com/catalog/equipment/lathes1/lathe-star-watchmaker#select
          The one in the picture is new, mine is old and was a lot less expensive.
          I’ve got the tailstock itself but not the spindle with the internally tapered end that fits into it.
          The diameters of the other bits that fit into the tailstock are around 6.95mm.
          I’ve been watching the videos and want to have a go at making the brass fittings used for pivot polishing.
          Brian

Bob Tascione

Sorry Brian,
            I have tailstocks on my mind cuz I’ve been searching Ebay for one for a 8mm Boley (d-bed).
            I need to pay better attention when reading these posts! :)
            Let’s see if David knows of any or has any ideas.

Bob

david pierce
            Participant

Brian,
              Finding a runner by itself is going to be a rare purchase. I often see the tailstock and runner for sale for less than $100.00. I assume that the runner you are looking for is a 7mm with a point center on one end and a cup center on the other. I have not heard of COUSINS UK before you posted your blog today but after looking at what they carry they can probably supply the part new. I was looking for weeks for a new runner for my Bergeon because I just bought a second tailstock for it but it does not have a runner. After looking at the items that COUSINS UK carries, I noticed that they have a Bergeon combined runner set for $436.00. I have looked at other suppliers in the U.S. but it looks like COUSINS UK offers a larger selection of these type of parts. Other options I can think of are to keep checking with Ebay and Uncle Larry’s Watch Shop.
              david

david pierce
              Participant

Bob,
                Is that the same tailstock that had a crack in it? If I can remember, the bed to center distance was different than the Wolf Jahn and Lorch. If you silver solder the crack it should be OK.
                david

Bob Tascione

Hi David,
                  No, that one turned out great! I used a product that I found online (trying to remember the name) which is an alloy that melts at a higher temp than silver solder and is much stronger. Kind of golden color. Expensive but really good stuff. I’ll dig up the name and will post it up here.
                  I picked up a Boley with a tailstock but no head stock for next to nothing and just wanted to put another tailstock on it to use as a turns for inspection work. Nothing urgent at all. Just something to do…like I don’t have enough to do already!
                  Hey here’s something for you.
                  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Levin-Precision-10mm-Instrument-Watchmaker-Lathe-in-Excellent-Condition-/261359729033?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cda40f989

Adios,
                  Bob

brianw
                  Participant

Thanks for your help and advice.
                    I’ll keep my eye out and hope for the best.
                    Please let me know if you come across anything.
                    Brian

david pierce
                    Participant

Brian,
                      I think you helped me more than I was able to help you. I purchased a BERGEON PLATAX tool (brand new) a few weeks ago. It is new and in perfect condidion but was extremely expensive. A couple of days ago a used and damaged one came up for sale on Ebay for a very small price. I bought it as well but it has a damaged die plate. I searched for several days looking at every supplier I could think of and could not find the part listed anywhere. When you brought up COUSINS UK, who I never heard of before, I found that I can purchase a new plate from them. They also sell the other parts for the machine as well. If you do not want to purchase a new runner your only other options will be to wait until a used one comes up for sale or make one from a piece of drill rod.
                      david

david pierce
                      Participant

Bob,
                        I am sure you looked at that guys other items for sale as well. It looks like he has a lot of good stuff on his Ebay page.
                        david

Bob Tascione

Yep!
                          Have the steady rest, microloupe and countershaft all in my watchlist!
                          If I bid on any of them I won’t go too high cuz I would be spending the money I would need for the divorce! :D
                          Bob

david pierce
                          Participant

Bob,
                            Either way the money is spent. You might as well go ahead and get the stuff.
                            david

brianw
                            Participant

Hi,
                              I’ve just been looking at a Boley lathe on eBay. I can see that it has the rod in the tailstock that I am looking for as a standard part of the lathe.
                              http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Boley-8mm-Watchmakers-Lathe-/161178631160?pt=UK_Jewellery_Watches_WatchAccessories_SpareParts_SM&hash=item2586febbf8
                              The rod has a hollow end which is cone shaped with a hole at the end for knocking out cone shaped fittings. This is the same as is shown in the lathe videos on the on-line course.
                              Does anyone think it is possible to get a rod like this for the star lathe or does this only come with the Boley lathe. I guess if the diameter is the same I could use the rod from the tailstock of a Boley lathe.
                              Brian

david pierce
                              Participant

Brian,
                                The Star Lathe referenced in your earlier post was a Geneva D style lathe which normally uses a 7mm runner. My Boley WW style lathe uses an 8mm runner. I do not think the Boley runner will fit your Star lathe.
                                david

brianw
                                Participant

Thanks David,
                                  I’m new to this and am on a steep learning curve.
                                  I think this forum is going to be very useful for me as up until now I have felt pretty much on my own.
                                  I’ll look out for a Geneva D style type part and just have to learn to be patient. I’m sure something will turn up now that I know what to look out for.
                                  Brian

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.