Home Forums General Discussion Forum Lathe Advice

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    dulwich2410
    Participant

Hi Paul
      At the moment to repair broken pivots polishing pivots and making small broken parts
      and with the future in mind ? any recommendations thanks for your interest.

All the best
      John

gerene
      Participant

John,

I know the feeling. It is hard to make a choice when it comes to lathes. Probably the answer is that you need more than one, since no single lathe can do everything :( , but money makes that not always an option and one has to look for a compromise. What I think is important in a lathe, aside from its basic capacity, accuracy etc, is the availability of accesories. You don’t have to buy them all, but the possibility to buy them when needed is certainly a big advantage. In that respect I think that Sherline wins from Taig and sometimes I regret not to have bought a Sherline. Not that I cannot do everything I needed the Taig for. Another big difference is that Sherline has a lead screw whilst Taig uses a handwheel on the cross-slide (although a power feed is now available).
        I would advice the following when you would go for Taig;
        – Basic lathe with or without power feed. I don’t have the power feed, so I cannot comment on that. There is a retro fit kit, but as far as I know quite involved to install.
        – 3 or 4 jaw chuck: 3 jaws is easier and faster, 4 jaws more accurate but more involved for setting up. I have both ;)
        – I would buy the lathe with a ER-16 headstock. You can still use all the accesories (except the Taig collet set which you would not need then). Using the ER-16 headstock is more accurate than using the standard headstock with the ER-16 adapter for the standard headstock.
        – Of course the electric motor. I have the standard 1/4 HP motor (single phase, induction, capacitor started) with constant speed. Lathe turning speed is set using pulleys.
        – The mounting assembly supplied by Peatol is quite convenient.
        – V-belt.
        – Drilling tailstock (with Jacobs chuck). I use this a lot!
        – toolpost. I bought several. They are cheap and saves you time to adjust the height each time you change your cutting tool, just leave the tool in the toolpost.
        – tool bit set.
        – headstock spanner to remove chucks.
        The above is in my opinion absolutely necessary. Following items are extremely useful:
        – compound top slide.
        – steady rest
        – milling attachment, not that it will turn your lathe in a real milling machine but also handy when you need vertical displacement. A milling vice is nice to have with the milling attachment.
        – slitting saw arbor and slitting saw.
        – If you want to cut threads you might use the tailstock die holder. The only way to cut threads on a Taig since there is no leadscrew.

The above list is compiled based on my experience when using the Taig lathe for clock work. Maybe someone else can give you a list for Sherline so you can make a comparison. I think both Sherline and Taig are of the same overall quality but as I said Sherline has more accesories available.

Of course then there is the whole series of chinese made mini lathes, but I have no experience with those.

Hope to have been of some help, not confusing you even more ;)

Jan

arutha
        Participant

Hi John,
          Jan gives some great advice and you will find advocates of both Taig and Sherline lathes here. As Jan says I would look at the Sherline just because of the extra stuff available. You could of course look at the second hand market to see what is about. This can be a bit of a gamble if you don’t know much about lathes as you wouldn’t know what to look for with regards to wear etc but it can be an option. My lathes have all been used and so far I have been lucky and got good machines. The only trouble with the used machines is finding accessories, these can not only be difficult to find but also expensive.
          If you are not scared of getting your hands dirty you could by all means consider a chinese machine. There is nothing wrong with the actual machine but they will almost certainly need stripping down, cleaning and lubricating properly. A friend of mine has one at is as accurate as anything else of that size but he has but a lot of time and work into it to get it to this stage. You will also be limited for accessories if you should go for a chinese machine over a Taig or Sherline.
          If you find anything of interest or you have any questions you can always ask on here to see if anyone has experience of it, we will help wherever we can.
          Paul.

dulwich2410
          Participant

Hi Jan and Paul
            Thank you both for taking the time and input (i will now not shoot my self) think i am leaning towards a
            Sherline lathe i don’t know yet if do a ER16 head stock, Paul as for a used i have seen on a certain auction site
            (could i mention names on the forum) here in the U.K last one was 30/40 years old and made some £450.00,
            i will keep looking and hope to purchase soon,or i will need new fingers soon with all this polishing pivots.
            Thank you once again i am glad i found Bobs forum.
            John

arutha
            Participant
              dulwich2410
              Participant

Hi Paul thanks for keeping a look for me thats much appreciated i look at the sherline lathe on ebay but i just don’t know what i am
                buying and what parts are required to get started on a 60/70 year old lathe, i am in Surrey and found a agent in Essex i think i should just
                bite the bullet, check out the cost and buy a new one,whats your thoughts i am impressed with all the help i have received from you and
                all at the forum.

THANKS A LOT

John

arutha
                Participant

Hi John,
                  I have had a look over that e-bay lathe, best I can just with photos, and I don’t think it has had much use. If you look at the little vice you can see the black has worn from the top edges, you can’t see that sort of wear anywhere on the lathe.
                  Obviously you know exactly what you are getting if you buy new but when you look at the cost of a new lathe and, what you are getting if you bought this one from ebay, it would leave you a lot of spare cash to buy any attachments you might need.
                  Just a thought but whichever way you go we are here to help :)
                  Paul.

daryn
                  Participant

There’s as many lathes out there as there are opinions as to which is best suited to what, as with most machine tools mass is a big factor in the kind of finish you will be able to achieve, my humble and personal opinion is that a traditional 8mm ww watchmakers lathe is hard to beat when it comes to fiddly re-pivoting jobs, on the other hand a bigger toolroom class or screwcutting lathe is going to be much better /quicker /easier for making parts and fixing wheel cutting and milling attachments tö,,I’d say split your budget and go for both. . .
                    Daryn

dulwich2410
                    Participant

Hi Daryn thank you excellent advice and interest in my dilemma, i have look at a few lathes as well as lots on internet sites,
                      here in the U.K. 8 mm lathes with collets and kit is about £600.00 plus pounds old rusty and knackered £200.00
                      a used Sherline £275.00 to £450.00 new £650.00 my budget is getting stretched, as any one out there have that
                      magic wand 8mm or Sherline.

Thanks a lot

John.

bernie weishapl
                      Participant

If I could only afford one lathe I would go for the Sherline. You can do small on big but you can’t do big on a small. I have a 8 mm Boley with most all of the attachments except a compound slide. It does well on small things but I find myself working on the Taig most times unless it is pretty small project then I will use the Boley. I work on both watches and clocks so the little lathe does come in handy.

daryn
                        Participant

If you can find a cowells lathe you’d probably cover most bases, although small they do punch above thier weight,
                          That said it’s going pretty much do for you’re budget!
                          Personally I have four lathes ranging from an 8mm watchmakers up to a ten inch swing emco maximat,
                          Don’t be too put off by second hand, the lathes of the general size we’re talking about don’t tend to get the sort of heavy use that wears them out ‘
                          Also a lot of people seem overly concerned about backlash in the feed screws, don’t be, it’s nesccesary,
                          Daryn

dulwich2410
                          Participant

Hi Guys thanks for your advice just come across a nice Lorch Schmidt with collets 3/4 jaw chucks and lot more, Cowells look good but off to
                            the Bank manage first,but leaning towards the Sherling time i decide i will be to old to use it.

Thanks again guys.

John.

willofiam

@dulwich2410 wrote:

time i decide i will be to old to use it

Thats good :D William

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.