Home Forums General Discussion Forum Ladies Watch Mainspring Winder

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    arutha
    Participant

Hi all,
      my partner Claire has been given some of her Grandmas watches, nothing special, just old Avia and Sekonda. As none of them work I thought I might have a go at servicing them. Tools wise I have pretty much everything apart from a mainspring winder as I seem to remember you cant do these by hand without trashing the mainspring. Bear in mind the ladies watches are tiny (I like a challenge :) which winder should I look for and also I would appreciate suggestions for watch oil and mainspring grease. I have some Moebius 8000/4 but not sure if it is ok to use on something this small?
      Thanks in adavance,
      Paul.

Bob Tascione

Hi Paul,
        Yes you are correct about needing a winder. Fortunately these small winders can often be found on ebay and from used tool suppliers for very reasonable prices. If you’re just going to be doing a few watches for yourself then you don’t need to invest in anything fancy and used will probably be fine. I’ll try to dig up a link to some examples within the next hour or so and will post them up here.

As for oils and greases for small caliber watches I usually use a few different types. These small calibers can be very temperamental and sensitive to lubricant viscosity. The 8000 that you mention would be way too thick as an all around lubricant for small caliber movements.

I usually use Mobius Synt-A-Lube 9010 for the staff and most of the gear train holes and 9020 for the center wheel (9010 will work ok in place of the 9020 for the center pivot..I use it because it’s just a bit better and I have it on my bench).

I use Mobius 941 escapement oil for the escapement. I do recommend using this if possible.

Mobius Microgliss for the winding mech.

For small caliber mainsprings (non-automatic) I usually use 8030. A friend gave me a life time supply of 8030 so I have to use it on something! For automatics you will need a suitable grease and braking grease applied to the barrel wall.

I’ll try to dig up some links in a little while and will post them up here.

Enjoy Paul,
        Bob

arutha
        Participant

Great stuff, thanks Bob, sounds like I will be spending a small fortune just on lubricants :( Never mind. Look forward to seeing what sort of mainspring winder I need and thanks for your help, it is much appreciated.
          Paul.

Bob Tascione

You’re welcome Arutha!
            Yes the lubricants can get a little expensive but they do last a very long time. As I mentioned in my earlier post these small caliber movements can be very sensitive to changes in viscosity and the most effective range can sometimes seem fairly narrow. It’s also very important not to over oil any part of these watches (or any watch for that matter) as any extra oil flowing around in places where it doesn’t belong can eventually wreak havoc on it’s time keeping. I like to use the best option possible when lubricating them as I need all the help I can get with these small watches. They are actually enjoyable to work on and go together quite easily. There is one very real vulnerable and unforgiving part with most of these tiny watches and that of course is the hairspring. They become tangled and or distorted beyond repair quite easily if not handled with great care. For this reason I always try to point beginning watchmakers toward larger pocket watches or at least larger movements like the ETA 6497-98 until dexterity and a good understanding and feel of/forthe balance and hairspring is reached.

I’ve posted a pic of a common type of mainspring winder that can be purchased for a very reasonable price. Suppliers like Uncle Larry’s and Dashto usually have a few on hand at any given time. Also if you put “mainspring winders” into the eBay search you’ll usually find many to choose from.

Hope this helps Arutha!
            Take care way over there.
            Bob

Picture from Uncle Larry’s

arutha
            Participant

Hi Bob,
              thanks very much for that, there are a few on ebay, if I post the links would you mind taking a look to see what is suitable?
              Thank you from way over here :)
              Paul.

Bob Tascione

Hi Arutha,
                I’m sorry… I didn’t realize you had posted this earlier today. I thought it was yesterdays post.
                I would be happy to check them for you. Just let me know the auction links.
                Bob

arutha
                Participant
                  Bob Tascione

Hi Arutha,
                    I like them all but for smaller watches prefer the J.P. Shilling set. They don’t mention the size range for these but my set is good for small calibers. Mine are loose…no nice case like that one but I think they are the same.
                    The “Watch Craft” set is nice for larger barrels.
                    Same goes for the K&D…real nice set but not for small calibers.
                    I’ve usually had good luck buying used winders. Have gotten some in the past that have been worn out though. Either the catch pin has been worn out or sheared off completely. You may want to ask the seller if they appear to be in good condition. They look good from the outside though!
                    Hope this helps Arutha,
                    Bob

arutha
                    Participant

Most helpful :) That was my main concern, buying something that was too big! Thanks for the help Bob.

Bob Tascione

You’re welcome Arutha!
                        The pin that can wear out or shear off that I mentioned is on the winding piece that you remove from the winder. That pin catches the hole in the inner coil. After catching that hole you would turn that same piece to wind the spring into the winder. If that pin is worn short it will be difficult to catch the hole. A new pin can probably be inserted without too much trouble but might as well get a good one to start with.
                        Good luck on the bidding if you decide to get that one Arutha, If it gets away from you I’m sure you’ll find more like it. It’s a fairly common winder.
                        Bob

Bob Tascione

Hey Arutha,
                          I just emailed you a link to another auction for comparison.
                          Enjoy,
                          Bob

arutha
                          Participant

Thanks for the advice and the link Bob, always appreciated :)

arutha
                            Participant

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230783598359?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
                              I hope these are ok Bob, would you mind having a quick look for me please?

Bob Tascione

Nice set Paul!
                                Did you get the winning bid?
                                Bob

arutha
                                Participant

Yes, I won them :) I have been so lucky with my clocks lately I thought it was about time I tried the very hard stuff, I am quite looking forward to the frustration of trying to service a tiny ladies watch :) Just got to buy some oil now, will have a look at the cheaper stuff you mentioned in the other post.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.