Home Forums General Discussion Forum Knee Deep…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    maitai11
    Participant

Well Fellas, I’ve been deflowered.

Since I’m following along with Bob’s pocket watch vids – and figuring out the differences between his watch and mine – I decided to start working even though I don’t have everything I ordered. My beginning is also due, in part, to a good-natured nudge from our man Chris!

Good one, Chris – you got me.

I’m working on the Illinois 11 jewel Cowell and Hubbard – and yes – it has a gold train (Thank you, Bob!) I’ve gotten down to removing everything up to and including the main bridge and center wheel. I continue to test the watch with every thing I remove – and so far, the wheels are still jammed up past the center wheel. It’s going to be interesting to find out what’s blocking everything up!!!

Things have gone somewhat smoothly thus far. To my knowledge, I haven’t broken anything yet, although I found the intermediate gear on my work surface. I tried to disconnect the balance prior to removing the balance cock, but I ended up removing the whole thing – and then the balance and hairspring dropped out about an inch…AAAAAArrrrrrgggghhhhh. Through this **learning experience**, I now know to loosen the hairspring screw AND gently push out the end of the spring, so that it won’t fall out on to my bench. However, the spring looks to be in tip top shape – and this is coming from a noob who is the greenest of the green – unless there is something hidden around that spring, it looks very even and not damaged in the slightest. One of the three dial screws is missing…which kind of makes me screwed since I don’t have any, being the greenest of the green…When I removed the crystal, a part of the badly cracked dial came loose, and ended up on, you guessed it, my work surface. When I took down the mainspring, I slipped and it all came down at once – I’m sure I can attribute this to being a noob!

Since I don’t have my trays as of yet, I have confiscated all the Tupperware in the house – my girlfriend Lorie is pulling her hair out! By the time my US arrives, the watch should be ready to clean. There are a couple items I need to swap out at Larry’s, but nothing is a show stopper, and Larry is (I’m sure, no surprise to you) handling everything very professionally and quickly.

What do you guys use for cleaning the hairspring? Lighter fluid? And what do you rinse it in? Thanks.

And, that’s about it, fellas. I’m on duty today, so there won’t be anymore “Come to Jesus” moments for me until tomorrow:) Thanks for listening, and I’ll keep you updated.

Best,

Tim

chris mabbott
      Participant

Well so far so good.. the balance can withstand a reasonable drop without damage…

For hairpsprings, some guys use a product called one dip, it can be purchased from any material house or eBay.
        I just swish in naphtha then blow it dry. If the HS is rusty, I usually change it out.. Normally though it’s just dust and maybe vaporized oil/dust.

To avoid any lost parts, I found a nice trick by using a round silicon baking tray, anything that pops out stays in the tray and you don’t have to go crawling all over the floor looking for a micro dot that is history. Works good for jewels too because the tray is kinda tacky, so stuff sticks to it rather than going PING BOUNCE BOUNCE adios hijo 😆

Photos are a big part of the forum, any forum, so if you can post pics of your progress and your watch, it makes for a more positive learning experience, plus it helps others in the future who may not be able to visualize what you’re working on from a written account.

If you need any help on the photo front…just yell out..

maitai11
        Participant

Chris – what’s a good size picture to post? The one I posted over on the workshop page is huge. Thanks

Tim

maitai11
          Participant

Hi Chris,

Here’s a picture of that chipped dial. As you will see, the dial is in rough shape with many cracks. Should I re-glue this kind of thing? It’d be a shame to have that chip show. Please advise.

Thanks,

Tim :)

chris mabbott
            Participant

Tim, I usually go 8×9 then reduce the file size down to web proportions, from 40-100kb is acceptable for most forums and for viewing on mobile devices.

Do you have the piece that is missing from the dial?

bernie weishapl
              Participant

You can get those dial repaired an they will look good. You can glue it if it is just going to be a practice watch. On hairsprings I use One Dip. It works well and leaves no residue.

willofiam

@maitai11 wrote:

AAAAAArrrrrrgggghhhhh

HHHHEEEEEYYYYY….thats what I usually say….. Have you been listening in on my day???? William

maitai11
                  Participant

Chris – Yes, I do have that piece. Maybe I’ll glue it?

Bernie – Thanks for that info…regarding repair of all those crack lines, will it increase the sale value much? Or, will it devalue it? Seems like time and money – I’m just not sure the return, but please, if you have more info, by all means, I would love to hear it.

William – Yup, you got it right, Bub. Wait – you mean I’M NOT THE ONLY ONE DOINT THAT??? :):):)

By the way guys, that hairspring is just the most beautiful shiny cobalt blue – I’m sorry, I don’t have pics to share today – but I’ll get one tomorrow. It really, really is beautiful. By the way, cobalt blue is my favorite color!

Tim :)

maitai11
                    Participant

Oh, and a couple other things, if you will:

– What’s your favorite One Dip out there? I need to get a good one. Please advise.
                      – What do you use as part of an ultrasonic setup? US cleaning fluid, as well as rinses, please.

Thanks guys!

Tim

bernie weishapl
                      Participant

Tim I buy and it is called One Dip from Jules Borel or Otto Frei. As for cleaner in my US I use a heavy duty Zep Citrus cleaner. Headed out on calls this morning so will get you the name later. It works well for me. Then I rinse twice with warm water (I use 2 pans full of water since I don’t have running water in my shop) and the last rinse before it goes in the dryer is denatured alcohol. It displaces any water left on the movement or parts. Dries with no residue.

maitai11
                        Participant

Thanks Bernie, I appreciate that.

Tim

maitai11
                          Participant

Hi Guys,

I’m going to post four pictures with a few questions. Thanks in advance. Tim

First question – Pallet bridge gem – this has no screws holding the gem in. Do I still remove it?

maitai11
                            Participant

2nd question: At the base of the stem, there is a c-shaped lever with one screw. Do I remove that as well?

maitai11
                              Participant

Obverse of the watch. Mechanical stuff for adjustments, I think, to the right side, held in by screws. Do I remove that?

maitai11
                                Participant

How does this spring look? Worn, or doing OK? Doesn’t matter, I will still replace it. Just asking to find out more info. Thanks. Tim

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.