Home Forums General Discussion Forum Joining plastic drive belts

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    david pierce
    Participant

Brian,
      Have you ever taken the spindle apart before?
      david

brianw
      Participant

Yes, I have taken it apart. I cleaned everything and oiled with transmission fluid.
        I think by holding the spindle and tightening the chuck at the same time I had accidentally tightened the bearings. I’ve readjusted and all is well now.

david pierce
        Participant

Brian,
          One thing I do when I reassemble the lathe spindle is seat the spindle into the bushing by wacking it with a piece of wood (2 x 4). This has worked better for me than trying to draw the spindle in with the back nut. I prefer to use hydraulic oil but transmission fluid will also work. I am sure that you have already done this but make sure that all of the crud and grit is removed between the bearing surfaces. I use cotton balls and Q-Tips instead of rags to help ensure that no additional particles are deposited on the bearing surfaces. The .0002 inches of play in the spindle can represent the necessary clearance between the bearing surfaces.
          david

digitaltripper
          Participant

Still using the same belt…..Works for me, YMMV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOOQSaT0qZI

That was the question right? “How do you get plastic lathe belts to hold/work?” Damm I miss out on all the stupid arguments…This is just like the old NAWCC argument about watch movement holders….Remember that one?

Whew….Glad I was gone for a bit…

Glad I only skimmed this thread as well…..

arutha
            Participant

Unfortunately this wasn’t a stupid argument about who had the best method for joing belts. This was about another forum member implying a few of us including Bob, didnt know what we were talking about.
              Paul.

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.