Home Forums General Discussion Forum Joining plastic drive belts

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    tmac1956
    Participant

All:

I have seen “O” ring slicing kits on eBay in the past, but I’ve never used one. If one prefers the “O” ring material but needs the flexibility of customizing the length, wouldn’t this work? I’ve never spliced an “O” ring so I’m not sure.

Just a thought….
      Tom

stevefitzwater
      Participant

Well as someone who is still new to this process I find this discussion extremely interesting, having just acquired a lathe from William, I am san knowledge on this whole topic, and I can see valid points for both preferences. Some times I feel like a kid in the candy store when I read these forums, the wealth of knowledge, well thought out and expressed knowledge that a lowly apprentice like myself can soak up and apply parts or all in a manner that best fits their personal needs, and for that, I thank you guys!

arutha
        Participant

Glad to know you are picking up useful info from Brians original post Steve.

Tom, unless you bought o rings of the same material and external dimension that splicing kit would only be good for shortening the o ring and putting a join in it would defeat the idea of using o rings as opposed to belting in the first place.

David, I think the point Bob was trying to make was that you come over on the forum as if you are an authority. We value your knowledge but sometimes the way in which you word your answers it can be taken that you are an experienced horologist or for some reason know better than everyone else. I am sure you do not mean for your posts to come over in this way but at times they do. Please remember that most of the members on this forum are new and are looking for simple but effective answers. Suggesting they strip down their lathes to fit o rings could cause more problems if they cant then get things back together correctly. Please dont take that as a “slap in the face” it is certainly not intended as such!

Chris, I hope you didnt lose track on your phone ;)

Brian, bet you never expected this kind of debate from such a simple question :)

tmac1956
          Participant

All:

Does one need to be an “experienced” horologist to post a response here? What exactly qualifies one to be an experienced horologist – ten years in the trade? A certificate from a Swiss school? Please let me know so that I won’t come across that way.

Rather than David taking exception to Bob’s method of belt welding, isn’t it just as likely that David simply responded to the initial question by providing a video link for someone without even looking at the other responses? I’ve done that many MANY times – mainly due to time constraints, and I imagine that all of us are guilty of that to some extent. If that is the case then there should not have been an insult taken.

Coming from an academic background, I just don’t see the issue here. But… I not an “experienced horologist”. I only care about the free and unemotional exchange of ideas, so what the heck do I know anyway. 👿

Thanks,
            Tom

arutha
            Participant

Hi Tom,
              just to clarify, I was just trying to point out that is the way that David comes across in his answers at times. as an example, why did you make a watch setting lever out of brass, which David suggested, as opposed to steel, which Bob suggested first? A brass setting lever in a watch will wear very quickly which is why, as far as I am aware, no watch manufacturer has ever made a watch setting lever from brass?
              Where exactly did I say you had to be an “experienced horologist” to make a post?
              As an educated man you should know better than to try and twist peoples words!

Paul.

tmac1956
              Participant

@Arutha wrote:

Hi Tom,
                just to clarify, I was just trying to point out that is the way that David comes across in his answers at times. as an example, why did you make a watch setting lever out of brass, which David suggested, as opposed to steel, which Bob suggested first? A brass setting lever in a watch will wear very quickly which is why, as far as I am aware, no watch manufacturer has ever made a watch setting lever from brass?
                Where exactly did I say you had to be an “experienced horologist” to make a post?

Paul.

Paul:

I’m not trying to twist anyone’s words and I can only respond to what was written. Here’s the quote:

“David, I think the point Bob was trying to make was that you come over on the forum as if you are an authority. We value your knowledge but sometimes the way in which you word your answers it can be taken that you are an experienced horologist or for some reason know better than everyone else.”

I don’t claim to know very much if anything about horology that’s why I purposely defer to everyone. I am truly humbled by the level of knowledge here and I often learn something from those with even less experience than me (if it’s possible to have less than I). I’m not defending David here as he is capable of doing that himself. I just don’t see why people are getting so torqued over a blasted belt joining answer. It’s just sophomoric to me.

Thanks,
                Tom

tmac1956
                Participant

@tmac1956 wrote:

@Arutha wrote:

Hi Tom,

Paul.

continued…

Oh… and since you feel the need to set up the preverbal straw man, the reason that I used brass on the lever was because that’s what I had on hand. If you would do your due diligence as a moderator and go back to the thread you would see that I stated as much… that I would re-make the part out of steel eventually. Now let me ask you this…

Why would it be an issue that I made a part out of brass in lieu of steel? Simply because of the experience of those posting – could it be that I took David’s advice over Bob’s? Sadly, this proves my initial point.

Honestly, people…

Thanks,
                  Tom

stevefitzwater
                  Participant

Being a long time forum member on multiple boards and a moderator of several, one thing that forums lack is the ability to understand the intent behind the replies one posts, when some one is being factual others might infer a personal agenda or inference when it was not meant to be anything other then an expression of ones opinion.

Step back, re-read those post as if they are just that and take a deep breathe, the one thing that makes this board so informative, is EVERYONE is encouraged to reply, maybe they are out in center field on their response (I know some of my have been), but the thing that’s makes each person successful is the fact we have the ability to take 20 peoples opinions on the “right way” to do something, and from that be able to find our OWN right way. Maybe you take a part of everyone’s ideas or just one, but that is what makes this forum so great. The response to every question can have a multitude of correct answers.

When I was operating a machine as a temp fill in, I was told I was doing it all wrong, the normal operator did this, or that, but I had my way, and I not only met quota but exceeded it. When the regular operator came back, they asked my what I did and why, I explained it and they adapted some of my methods, and others they did not. We are all different, I use my lathe different from the way Bob or David or Paul or Tom does and when I start to make staffs on my lathe, I will watch Bob’s video to see how he does it, along with as many other videos I can find, so I can find a way that works for me personally, and it will be the right way for me.

The key point to this is EVERYONE does it differently, and the reason they do it differently is because they have adapted other ideas to fit THEIR personal preference…

Sorry Chris…

chris mabbott
                    Participant

I think we need a Friday CHILL OUT TUNE 😆

Steve, your comments are spot on, ideas put forward for consideration in written form are always subject to interpretation by different individuals, so thank goodness for smileys 😯 . Oh, Steve, no apology necessary buddy, I was just kidding about the length, I like em long, but with gaps, maybe even bullets 😆

stevefitzwater
                      Participant

Chris, when I used to “attempt” to create websites for myself and others, I would listen to this type of music, for some reason I found it a nice relaxation in the background, of course I was forced by the wife and kids to wear headphones..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2LM3ZlcDnk

but it just melted the stress away as I pummeled the keyboard… sadly after gamma knife surgery and other issues, I find it almost impossible to retain the coding structure knowledge to keep continue on websites, I play with a simple HTML one for my families geneology, and help out on a couple gaming sites, but that is all simple stuff…

tmac1956
                        Participant

All:

Are some of the plastic belting materials out there better than others? Some of it comes from China, and some form the EU. What do you all find to be the best?

Thanks,
                          Tom

arutha
                          Participant

Tom,
                            I am not going to respond to your previous post other than to say you can take advice from whomever you like and make any parts from whatever you like. That was never the issue.
                            Paul.

tmac1956
                            Participant

Paul:

I understand. I think we were all jumping to conclusions that weren’t warranted from what was written. I apologize for making that mistake. I know I’m an a**hole so there you go. :)

Later,
                              Tom

arutha
                              Participant

Tom,
                                you are nothing of the sort, you are a good guy and bring a lot to the forum. No hard feelings :)
                                Paul.

brianw
                                Participant

I’ve just noticed that the bearings on the lathe I am using are rather “tight”. I have been using a three jaw chuck that you tighten up with the outside ring rather than a chuck key and I think this may have resulted in my unintentionally tightening up the bearings when tightening the chuck. I’ve loosened them up now and the lathe runs more freely than before.
                                  I’m mentioning this because the extra strain put on the belt may have been one of the reasons for my belt joints breaking so easily. I say one of the reasons because the belts are certainly better joined than before.
                                  I’m a novice having only been working on clocks (not watches) for a couple of years, and I must say that I find David’s comments very interesting and helpful.
                                  And yes Paul, I am surprised to find this topic has elicited such a response. I initially felt rather embarrassed posting such a seemingly trivial subject, but now I’m glad I did.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.