Home Forums General Discussion Forum Interesting Taig Projects…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    tmac1956
    Participant

@david pierce wrote:

Tom,
      You may also want to take a look at the 9″ x 20″ lathe. It is a much bigger machine than the Sherline and Taig size lathes and is a much more powerful/ larger capacity machine than the other two. If I had not owned one of these lathes I would have purchased both the standard and ER headstocks for my Taig.
      david

david:

Would this be in the class of the Craftsman Atlas lathe? I see them used on eBay often. Who would be a good manufacturer for one of these new? I found one at Grizzly but I don’t know about the quality.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/9-x-19-Bench-Lathe/G4000

Thanks!
      Tom

david pierce
      Participant

Tom,
        Many years ago (1971) I owned a 6″ Atlas and then later a 12″ Atlas. I was not happy with the way they performed and got rid of both of them. I like the 9″ much better as it is more precise and can take a heavier cut than the Atlas. The 9″ and the other sizes are made by one company which I think is Central Machinery. The machines are marketed under various names such as Grizzly, Enco, Harbor Freight and many others but they are all the same item.
        david

tmac1956
        Participant

David:

Thanks for the information!

Tom

gerene
          Participant

@Arutha wrote:

Beautiful! Keep us posted on the restoration, its always interesting to see how something like this progresses and especially if you run into any problems as we can then all learn from it.
            Keep up the good work :)
            Paul.

This will be the first time that I take a clock apart. So, yes, I will probably have some problems. I do have some experience with watches but so far my own clock is the only one I worked on. Let’s see how this goes. This is my hobby, the only one waiting for the clock is my wife ;-), no stress…. and I will take my time. 8-)

Jan

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.