Home Forums General Discussion Forum Interesting Taig Projects…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    tmac1956
    Participant

All:

I found this by chance and thought I’d share it. I don’t have a Taig (yet) but it’s still interesting.

http://www.deansphotographica.com/machining/projects/projects.html

tmac

david pierce
      Participant

The TAIG for me has been a true workhorse. It is strong, powerful and accurate and I have been very pleased with mine overall. If I did not have other lathes I would also have purchased the standard headstock along with the ER-16 headstock that I have. The work that is too large for the Taig ER-16 system is done on my 250+ pound 9″ engine lathe.
        Do you know anything about the Drillpress kit that guy was machining in your weblink? It looks like a kit that is currently available.
        david

gerene
        Participant

I do have a Taig which I use mainly for a clock that I am building. I am very satisfied with it, but then again I am not an expert and can’t realy compare with other brands. I am still learning to machine metal.
          I do have the standard headstock and a ER-16 adapter, which is not the best solution for accuracy but it suits my needs for the moment. One can also have a headstock for 8mm WW collets, which I am looking at buying. Don’t know if the Taig would be suitable for watch work.

The clock I am building is based on a design from John Wilding: 16th Century Style Clock. It is taking me quite some time, but I am enjoying it. Here is a picture of what I have sofar.
          I am currently working on the verge and crown wheel.
          Thought I might share that… ;)

Jan

arutha
          Participant

Hi Jan,
            is that the single handed verge and folio clock? Looks like it is coming along nicely, from what I can see you are doing a great job so far :)
            Strangely enough I was reading through John Wildings “How to Make a Wall Clock” yesterday. A possible project for me when I dont have so many clocks left to restore and sell on :)
            Paul.
            p.s. I would welcome updates on your progress on this project if you have time.

gerene
            Participant

Paul:
              indeed the single handed verge and folio clock. I will post some progress updates from time to time, but it really is a slow going project, don’t hold your breath ;)

Jan

arutha
              Participant

Hi Jan,
                I would be very interested to see the set-up you use for cutting the crown wheel. Are you going to be using a production cutter or are you going to make a fly cutter?
                Paul.

gerene
                Participant

Paul,

Although it is not in the picture, I do have the crown wheel already but do not have any pictures of the manufacturing :( .
                  It is not made with a cutter but rather with the help of a slitting saw, piercing saw and file. Rather tedious and time consuming. The straight parts are sawn with the slitting saw at a 10° angle. Then the rounds part are sawn with the piercing saw and everything cleaned up by filing.

Jan

arutha
                  Participant

Probably just as they did it back in the 17th century :)
                    Well done Jan, just the idea of cutting that crownwheel out by hand would be enough to put me off :0
                    Paul.

gerene
                    Participant

Well, I finally finished the clock today. It is now hanging on the wall and ticking away. I still have to figure out how accurate, but it does look good so far, and I guess that one cannot expect too much from a foliot ;)
                      I am kind of proud of myself with the first clock I ever made, (with the exception of the chapter ring) :D

Bob Tascione

Wow that’s great work Jan!
                        Thanks for posting those pics.
                        What your using for a weight?

Bob

david pierce
                        Participant

Tom,
                          You may also want to take a look at the 9″ x 20″ lathe. It is a much bigger machine than the Sherline and Taig size lathes and is a much more powerful/ larger capacity machine than the other two. If I had not owned one of these lathes I would have purchased both the standard and ER headstocks for my Taig.
                          david

gerene
                          Participant

@Bob Tascione wrote:

Wow that’s great work Jan!
                            Thanks for posting those pics.
                            What your using for a weight?

Bob

Thanks Bob,
                            here is a picture of the weights. The weights are made from round mild steel. The driving weight is 1 1/2″ diameter and 6 1/2″ long whilst the jockey weight is 1″ diameter and 2 1/4″ long.

Jan

arutha
                            Participant

Its a wonderful thing to see a finished project :)
                              Well done Jan, do you have another project planned?
                              Paul.

gerene
                              Participant

@Arutha wrote:

Its a wonderful thing to see a finished project :)
                                Well done Jan, do you have another project planned?
                                Paul.

Thanks Paul,

There is a Comtoise clock sitting on my bench right now that needs a lot of attention. It is one with a threefold pendulum and crown wheel. It has some rust and is dirty all over. Dial and front are dirty but no damage, so I guess (and hope) that I can return it to a reasonable state.

arutha
                                Participant

Beautiful! Keep us posted on the restoration, its always interesting to see how something like this progresses and especially if you run into any problems as we can then all learn from it.
                                  Keep up the good work :)
                                  Paul.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.