Home Forums General Discussion Forum Hermle floating balance challange

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    mclark3617
    Participant

Ok. When i started this project my balance looked like this

But when i went to put it back on the clock, well after i put it on the clock and found it wasnt running right, i took it off and found it like this

Now i dont remember dropping it or banging it, but it did lay around for awile as i cleaned the clock. Either way now i have to do something. Im gonna see if its possible to remove the bad jewel and replace it. Im getting plenty of help from everyone on here so if its possible i think one of us will figure out a way.

bernie weishapl
      Participant

IMHO with them being out there I would not even waste my time on it. That is just me. If it was one of mine I might consider it. I will follow the thread to see how it works out for you.

mclark3617
        Participant

Yea,,its more of a challange, i dont think putting a new one in would be a problem, the challange is gonna be getting a good one out without damaging it. Once i do have one out and can measure diameters i can also look for a jewel that mite work?

Can i assme the spring is held on by a compresion collar and i can remove it similarly to a hairspring by just prying it with a pair of screwdrivers?

The top of the spring is the collar im speaking of. Just pry it down off the arbor.

mclark3617
          Participant

well I have the balance stripped down. first thing im gonna do is try soaking it in different solvents and see if it loosens up the jewels, I read a lot not to soak these in lets say laquer thinner cause it will loosen up the jewels, so lets see. if anything I will learn what is ok to clean these with.

willofiam

Howdy, Hey Mark, I dont want to highjack your thread but I got all excited to figure something new out I came up with a process that I will use in the future. I will post a couple of ideas if thats o.k. with you.

All the floating balance jewels I have seen are NOT shellacked in, they are all rubbed in. Now if anyone has seen some that are shellacked in please let us know….I suppose when working on one and just checking it under magnification will tell the story….that would be the safest approach before attempting to do anything to it…

Here is a old balance I had. using it to figure out a good technique for replacing the jewel. turns out to be much like a rubbed in jewel on a pocket watch only alot easier to handle.

stripped of the suspension spring, being very careful not to damage it. also a good idea to mark the lower collet on the shaft for reassembly, both length and position. William

willofiam

Here is the tool I used to open up the end of the tube that holds the jewel. I just carefully rubbed on the inside circumference of the lip until the jewel was loose. William

mclark3617
                Participant

so it is pressed in. on mine I have one jewel that is recessed and one jewel is flush. im gonna try heat to expand the brass and see if it falls out as easy. probly soak it in hot water first, if that doesn’t get it hot enough ill try a heat gun.

so far I’ve tried soaking it in acetone with no results, at least two hours

willofiam

Hey Mark, not “pressed in” but “rubbed in”. sorry, my photos didnt show it but there is a shoulder in the tube, the jewel slips into the tube and rests on the shoulder, the end of the tube is then rubbed over the jewel to hold it in place. William

willofiam

here is the outer dimension of the jewel I took out. If I am reading it right it is .065″

willofiam

this tool will open and clean up a existing hole so a new jewel can be inserted, notice the tip of this tool is flat (tool on the right, tube on the left and a pair of pliers in the way….. as usual 🙄 )

By putting it into the hole and twisting, you can then gradually increase the size of the jaws on the tool which will increase the hole size. this was done just to completely open the opening and smooth out the edges of the tube from opening it

willofiam

Kind of hard to see but the jewel is back in and the pliers are still in the way 🙄

Here is the tool I used to close the hole (might not be what it is actually for) but the tip of this tool is tapered inward and the right size for the job. Once again placing the tip of the tool on the tube and twisting it….rounding over the edges onto the jewel to hold it in place

and WHALLA…… a reset floating balance jewel, how fun is that :D …..

mclark3617
                          Participant

just for reference I measured the inside diameter of the jewel to be .011 to .0115 and you say the outside is .065
                            is that a tool made just for taking the lip off for jewel removal. or are you improvising another tool?
                            its a lot like when reloading military ammo. the primer pocket is crimped over, so before replacing the primer you have to remove the swedge. they have tools just for that. way off subject I know but the same idea.
                            and I believe this is the first place ive seen online to replace a floating balance jewel. nobody else wants to even try

willofiam

Hey Mark, yes it is made for opening a setting of a rubbed in jewel. really anything similar in design would work, idea being able to get the point under the “lip” of the brass and “push” or “rub” it off the jewel. notice the rounded surfaces top and front = helps keep from tearing or taking chunks out of the brass. William

mclark3617
                              Participant

so what is this tool called and were can I get one? or do I have to make one?
                                and just so you know, I have no problem with you calling me Mark, but my name is Mike Clark…hence Mclark. but feel free to call me what you wish withing the profanity rules..lol

and nice work on the jewel,, I knew it had to be possible

willofiam

@Mclark3617 wrote:

nobody else wants to even try

why not……as for me I am in the business of repairing timepieces, I keep telling myself “become more self sufficient”…… not only that but just doing this little job for the knowledge and even honing techniques for “something” in the future is well worth the time spent. But thats just me :D William

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.