Home Forums General Discussion Forum Here’s Another One

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 post (of 16 total)
  • Author
    chris mabbott
    Participant

😆 It is, sometimes it bounces and hits you in your man parts, then the tears start to twinkle in your eyes and you definitely need a roll of paper towel, ouch.
      Actually the “winner” had 154 purchase/sales, the secnd guy had 76, but no, weren’t me, I have enough 992s, I just like to follow auctions, it’s an exercise in self control.

If you do a bay search you can see all kinds of prices, from ok, to HUH, some people think their crap is gold, others are more in tune with reality. I’m talking about the Buy Me Now Dewd kind.
      Bidding is random and unpredictable, but like this erroneous example, it can be surprising and interesting to watch. I always wonder when it comes time to pay, how the winner feels, if they have that WTF did I do feeling.

The thing is, one guy runs into a building and yells FIRE and panic ensues, I find this is what happens on the bay. One off the wall crazy auction and prices zoom up because of it. It’s a very small community and word travels fast when it comes to money.
      I think we’ve all seen BIN items sitting for years waiting to be sold, simply because the price is too high. But new comers see these items, not realizing that it has been there for years, their first reaction, I can make money, but this is not neccesarily factual, it’s an illusion. and this is what causes it, mostly.

The dealer markup on German medals went to about 700% a few years ago, it started on ebay. Hundreds, nay thousands of new collectors began vaccuming up everything they could. An example of one guy, in one year he purchased over 4000 iron crosses, he openly admitted they were for resale at a profit, an investment. When he tried to sell them, the collectors laughed, the dealers only buy at very low cost. This is what drove that hobby into a wall. I & many other long time collectors, know what these are worth, not on ebay and not from dealers, in reality. This is why most forums opened their own buy/trade areas, where prices were fair. This is exactly what I’m doing now, a collectors group, by invitation only, where we buy/trade fairly.

If you sold your 992, how much would you want? You’ve serviced it, will that time be included in the price? What did you pay for it originally? Do you want to make money or just a little over what you paid for it? I’ve just done a search and found over 200 992 monty dial models, hundreds more without monty dials. But you can buy a monty dial fairly inexpensively, except if it’s from a gouger. So they ain’t rare, nice yes, but not like a super elusive South Bend 23j model.

Bad thing about being a seller is that you have three choices, for the bay, you either use ebay how it was intended to be used, you put it up for high bid auction starting at zero, and you take your chances, OR you do like many are doing, treat it like Amazon and sell for a set price, and it could sit for ages. Or, as they say, the wimpy method of putting it for auction with reserve can be done, which is basically tricking buyers into bidding, when really it’s a buy now at a set price.

Problem is, we all think our stuff is gold, for whatever reason, because there is no set price for these items, only the duffers who write price guides seem to think that it is they who dictate the price, which is why they are successful, because people don’t really know.

At the end of the day, it’s the buyers who dictate the value, as you say, we have the buy or not buy power, not the seller. Money, unfortunately, talks and BS walks, as the overpriced items sitting on the vitual shelves of ebay slowly gather dust..

Viewing 16 post (of 16 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.