Home Forums General Discussion Forum Help with Gabriel Alarm Clock

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    barkerclaudia
    Participant

Would appreciate anyone who could help me with this clock.

I do not see any way to remove the glass face. Not sure how to remove the works if I don’t remove the arms first.

Has anyone ever restored one of these clocks?

Thanks

arutha
      Participant

The two adjusters you have left on the back of the clock just pull off, they might be a bit stiff. The next job is to get the glass off and the bezel and then remove the hands. I am only guessing but it looks like there are three small screws around the bezel, its a bit hard to tell from the picture. If you camera has a little flower symbol (bit like a tulip) this is a macro mode, it will allow better photographing of smaller parts etc as it gives a closer focusing. If you cant see how to remove the bezel again we might need some better pictures.
        Sorry, this must be getting a bit frustrating for you.
        Paul.
        p.s. nice clock though :) I love the early alarms.

Bob Tascione

Hi BarkerClaudia,
          I wish I had something similar here to look at that might jog the memory but only have an older BabyBen which has three screws that are on the bezel. Is it possible that the bezel is crimped or indented in several places into or over the edge of the dial pan?? If so then they would probably just need to be pried back a bit to release the bezel and glass. Then as you suggested you would need to remove the hands to access the front of the movement.
          I don’t know for sure about the crimp that I mentioned above so hopefully someone up here can help out but for now it’s something you can check.

Please let us know what you find out!

Bob

barkerclaudia
          Participant

Not frustrating at all yet…no screws to be seen. but there are 2 pieces of bent metal…gonna try to straighten them (my husband seen this..da!)
            will work at pulling the adjusters off…then on to next step. thanks for the camera tips…I don’t use it too often..will try that for better pics.

barkerclaudia
            Participant

Got the face off…it was a matter of bending the metal sides that were split slightly in 4 places and curved in 2.

Still trying to remove the 2 posts..I’m assuming they just pull straight back. Any suggestions to loosen them (lots of gunk on them) or just keep pulling?

I’m assuming the alarm turn off post is the same? or do I even need to remove since it just sits on a metal slide?

The pin holding the hands is just about flush with the top of the hand and that second hand really looks intimidating! Am I going to need a hand puller? In the first video Bob used a pliers to remove a cap or something.

arutha
              Participant

Well done for getting this far :)
                The adjusting knobs on the back should just pull off, look to see if they have small slots cut into them where they push on, you can put a small screwdriver into the slot and twist it just to open the ends up a little. As for the hands I am at a loss :( I have never seen anything like that, they are normaly held on with either a pin or a small threaded collet. At a guess I would say that pin is a push in type. With a small screw driver insert the tip between the pin and the hand a give a gentle twist to see if there is any give. You have to be gentle as too much force could damage the hand. If you notice any movement it should be a safe bet that it is push on. If you do get a little movement you can then try coming in from either side of the pin with small screwdrivers and levering up gently. This is all guesswork so if anyone knows better please advise.
                Paul.

barkerclaudia
                Participant

got the minute hand off by lifting…the hour hand is attached to a tube around the post that has a gear on it..it moves up and down, but again afraid to pull too hard and break something.

No slots on the posts. been pulling and trying all kinds of things and still not damage the face and remaining hands..will try again later.

arutha
                  Participant

What you can do now is bend those tabs that come down from the dial into the clock plate so it can be lifted off and you should find the hour pipe and wheel will come away with it. The adjusting posts on the back have got to come off otherwise when you seperate the plates you will have two of the clock wheels stuck to one side of the plate. Have you tried giving them a bit of a soak in something?

barkerclaudia
                    Participant

Thanks Arthua! Got the face plate off. I tried heating the knobs last night with no luck. What would you recommend soaking them in? WD 40? I think I’ll try vinegar…otherwise, I thought about putting it in a box and sending it to Bob so he could video tape himself getting these damn knobs off….lol
                      Seriously, I think I picked the worse possible clock to start learning on…there is not a screw on it…even if i figure out how to get the knobs off, how do I …oops..ok..i found nut and removed a wheel with a little spring on it….ok..so now i’m back to removing the knobs….

willofiam

Hi barkerclaudia, I dont think vinegar is good for brass, thought I read that somewhere 🙄 , WIlliam

arutha
                        Participant

This should probably go in the tips and tricks section but pure lemon juice will eat away at steel but not touch brass! This would be very useful if you could find a way to use it but to be safe I would just try a few squirts of wd40 to start with. Some of those adjusters are pushed on quite tight and if they have never been off could explain why they are being such a problem. I agree this is not the easiest thing to start with but I know what its like when you are itching to get going :) An ideal clock to start with would be anything with just one keyhole that tells the time only. You would have just one train of gears to deal with and even some of these alarms can be a little tricky to get back together. Please dont do what I did when I first started, I just kept taking clocks to pieces until I came to one I could fix and also could remember how to get it back together. I had about twelve clocks in boxes knocking around the place as well as their cases. Not an ideal situation when you dont have a large amount of room. :)

Bob Tascione

Wow you guys (and girls) have been busy up here!
                            I wouldn’t have known the trick to removing that dial plate Paul…good info thanks!!
                            Those knobs should come off by using a simple pry bar like a paint can lid opener or whatever you can think up to make and piece of cardboard underneath to protect the plate.
                            Good thread!
                            Bob

barkerclaudia
                            Participant

I found a tip to clean the brass parts with vinegar and scrubbing with salt. I have been prying Bob and I will try again as you suggested. You have all been very helpful!! I don’t plan to have too many clocks in parts. I am keeping all parts in a shoe box and trying not to start one project until i finish another for now. I have a 31 day clock sitting in front of me for number 2, but I intend to read more and watch more videos first. I found a set of tools on ebay, and I can fill in around it. Ordered my cleaning acid online also.

barkerclaudia
                              Participant

well…attempting to prior the post off with using the cardboard broke the main spring when it slipped.

Bob Tascione

that’s not good…did it slip forward when attempting to remove the knob on the center post (for setting the hands)?
                                  Bob

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.